Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sunday we had homemade pizza (tomato sauce made with toms and oregano from the garden) with just cheese and jalapeños for starters.
    Followed by roast chicken with lemon and N.African spices and about 5 heads of garlic with warm cous cous salad and tabbouleh.

Made chicken and chick pea soup on monday.

And even still had some spiced chicken left for a sambo yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

chicken korma, made from this receipe needs somthing tho

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/609519

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cleansheets

Mackerel with citrus dressing fromthe BIM site
    http://www.bim.ie/templates/recipes.asp?action=detail&node_id=353&recipe_id=168

recipe also on: http://cleansheets13.typepad.com/my-blog/2009/07/mackerel-with-citrus-dressing.html

doing beef casserole tonight, hope to make it after lunch put it in the oven, head out for the afternoon and come back to house full of aromas, not smoke!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Egyptian red lentil soup http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/630608 Didn't bother with the deep fried pitta but the soup itself was lovely. Really filling, tasty and had just the right amount of spice for a cold autumn night.

Grilled chicken thighs with roast tomatillo sauce, fresh tomato salsa, refried beans and brown rice with saffron and cumin.

If you see tomatillos anywhere (I got mine in farmers market in Cork city), I recommend you get them and make roast tomatillo sauce - it's yummmmmmm!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

beef goulash and rice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

KFC boneless banquet for one... 'nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

taco chips, chicken fillet burger and battered sausage. nom!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Rack of lamb... yummy :) followed by a lot of wine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Spagettie N Meatballs in a rich tomato, red onion and rosemary sauce ran out of parmasan cheese though hate when that happens. Twas yum though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Over the last few nights, it's been pan-seared duck breast (finished off by oven-roasting for five minutes) with celeriac mash, spinach&pine nut pesto and a small salad of julienne'd apple and poppy seeds on one night and saute'd potatos (in the duck fat) with the leftover celeriac and pesto on the second night.

Delicious, but in the course of the first night I managed to open one finger on some broken crockery, chop off the nail and nearly the tip of another finger while rapidly slicing apple, and then managed to burn both hands on the same hot pan inside of thirty seconds. The kitchen was not kind to me that night :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I havent been in here in aaages!

Last night was curried lentil, kidney bean, chickpeaand chorizo casserole. Tonight is pork chops, champ and peas and gravy. A Wednesday dinner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Angus Rib-Eye steak and Maris Piper Chips from Aldi with some Bensons pepper sauce. Was in heaven. First time I've tried the aldi steaks. Have to say I was mightily impressed. We usually order in a slab of 21 day mature rib eye in our butcher which we cut into steaks (these are amazing too) ourselves but the aldi steaks were very very nice

Tonight it's gonna be:
    Slow, slow thyme roasted pork hocks (€1.30 each-1 serves two people), roasted beetroot and carrot crisps, roast garlic, roast tomatoes, cabbage and mustard mash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Last night: leek and rocket quiche with a green lentil, sundried tomatoes and feta cheese salad followed by some great stonking blue cheese and glass of red. Tonight much easier: carbonara and vino. Yums.

bf made a loverly potatoe gratin with mushrooms,ham and chicken it was sooooooo good nom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Shepards Pie & Chips...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had grilled pork chops (husband wanted something spicy, and me something plain, so I rubbed his with lots of hot spice before grilling, and just seasoned mine normally), with roasted butternut squash and mashed potatoes and gravy. Absolutely yum. Cinnamon and nutmeg baked pears for after.

went out for dinner last night to la salsa, was yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Turkey Enchiladas with chilli sauce, a recipe from the RTE website. It worked a treat.

http://www.rte.ie/food/2009/0814/turkeyenchiladas.html

• Advertisement

Fried/grilled hake,
    roast winter squash,
    fennel, pear & chorizo salad with brazil nut oil and lemon juice ,
    red cargo rice

was good but I'd leave the chorizo out of the salad and just use some smoked paprika to give flavour (the chorizo (Gubbeen) looks very unappetizing cause it goes sort of wet and pink and looks like cheap salami), or else briefly fry it first)

Washed down with a bottle of Nuit St Georges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Last night was this: http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/quick-suppers/peppered-steak-with-shallot-sauce-recipe_p_1.html, was unbelievable...I'd advise this recipe for cooking steak. Washed it down with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Yum.

Just there I experimented with that Reggae Reggae sauce for the first time: marinaded chicken strips in it, which I wrapped in streaky rashers, and fried with onions and peppers, then threw in some more of the sauce and chicken stock and reduced. Served with couscous. Seriously yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fried chicken, corn fritters and tomato salsa.

Used panko breadcrumbs for the chicken. Section out a whole chicken. In a bag, but a flour / spice / herb mix (I used flour, pepper and salt, dried oregano, chili flakes, sumac, szechuan pepper, chili powder and paprika). Drop chicken chunks into bag. Thoroughly flour the lot. Then drop floured pieces in egg. Then into breadcrumbs. Then back into egg, then back into breadcrumbs. Put in fridge to chill for another 15 minutes. Then deep fry. Came out really, really well - did the corn fritters separately in a dry non-stick pan, and the tomato salsa was thrown together in about two minutes flat. Tasty tasty!

Fried chicken, corn fritters and tomato salsa.

That chicken sounds super tasty. How did you make the fritters? Did you use actual corn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The fritters are basically a thick pancake batter with whole sweetcorn. If you use the same ratio of flour to milk, then throw in an egg or two, you get a super-thick batter. That's what it needs to be - otherwise, if you try to deep fry it the fritter just falls through the fryer basket and dirties up the oil.

Alternatively you can make the batter less thick and use a shallow non-stick pan to do the fritters over a medium heat, so they cook through like wee pancakes. The batter ingredients are self raising flour, milk, egg, pepper and salt, a little sugar and some melted butter - blend all, then stir through whole sweetcorn (I used drained tinned corn). They're really good with some sweet chili sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night we went to the Millstone on Dame St. (sister restaurant to Miller's on Baggot St.) and have to admit, I wasn't impressed.

Tonight will be semi-homemade chicken tikka masala (using a paste as the base for the sauce) and I think tomorrow will be proper carbonara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Last night I was sick so it was just a vegetable soup for me at the local cafe...

Tonight -small portion of steak, onions, one potato and carrots [I'm on the mend]

Tonight is paella :) Nom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Beef Casserole, over did it on the thyme a bit but very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Chicken thighs stuffed with brie and fresh oregano marinated in maple syrup and lemon with fresh asparagus (in season at the mo) and potato dauphinoise. Twas yummy!

Tonight I'm not cooking, far too stressed out so my OH is going to be nice and cook my dinner. Means I'm either getting stir-fry or spag bol! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement