Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Picked up pork cutlets yesterday, I'll have to look into them a bit more, and find out how they differ from regular chops, but what ever it is its good, as these were as tender as a nice piece of fillet steak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Spag bol has undergone a revival in this house. I make a rich, red-wine bolognaise type sauce with field mushrooms, and then serve with pasta of choice (mine's spaghetti) and a large amount of cheese. When I'm craving it, nothing else will do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Tonight was a chicken tikka masala: star anise and cardamon pods in the rice pot worked wonders, but the curry was missing something...hmm...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Last night was Govindas and tonight is sheperds pie. Bro is visint again adn is extending his stay by 2 nights. Tomorrow is trying out a new restaurant in Clontarf - new to me as only saw it last night.

My bro in law asked me to teach him to cook burritos a while ago. I did - taught him my chili recipe, refried beans, showed him all the elements of putting together wraps with cheese and salsa etc.

Last night he invited us over and cooked burritos with rice on the side and a load of beers.

It's so totally cool to have someoe cook your own recipe for you. You get all the taste preferences that you have yourself, because it's your recipe, but you do none of the work. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Green Curry, loosley based on Nigellas Curry in a hurry recipe. Although I've started using turkey instead, you can use anything really but I love it with turkey and loads of peas which gives it a sweetness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Last night I made 'Chuletas de cerdo a la Madrilena' (Pork Chops Madrid Style). Turned out very nice, although the pork from Tesco was a bit fatty. Very quick to make, about 30 mins in the oven. (used this recipe http://spanishfood.about.com/od/maincourses/r/cerdomadrilena.htm. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who has pork chops and doesn't know what to do with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Lamb Curry - Mumrez Khan's Lamb and Spinach Karahi curry with boiled rice. I made it the night before and the 24 hours resting in the fridge worked wonders with the flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 crapbag24

just ate pork chop with 2 sausages, mash with spring onions, carrots, and brocolli in it - delicious

last night I had pasta with chicken in garlic, ginger, shredded carrot and coriander - also delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night was good ol' spag bol.

More importantly, though, we started preparing dinner for sometime the week after next....venison and boar pfeffer. Basically, its a stew where the meat and veg marinade in red wine (and herbs) for a week or more before cooking.

I also took some of the venison and some of the boar to spice...which should also be ready for cooking in about 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Saturday night - starving after walking around with a horde of witches, ghosts and goblins collecting sweets (I remember when it was apples and nuts). I cut some chicken brests into strips, seasoned, floured and egged, then dipped in panko bread crumbs and deep fried. Then we wrapped the crispy chicken strips in warm tortillas with salad leaves, tomato and cucumber and garnished with sour cream and hot sauce. And not a KFC in sight.

Spag bol here too - was exceedingly hungover all sunday after living it a little too large on hallowe'en. Not much cooking goes on Monday to Wednesday here - too busy both working. Usually try to eat leftovers from Sunday on Monday, have a beans on toast type night on Tuesday and eat out on Wednesday.

Last night was venison and mushroom stew, with red cabbage, sprouts, chestnuts, and knöpfli.

I gave the chestnuts 5 minutes too long in the oven, but otherwise it was pretty tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night we had the first bbq of the season and had snapper in butter and lemon with thyme cooked in tinfoil over the bbq (our new place has a built in bbq so it was a proper charcoal one), homemade burgers, lamb chops, greek salad, baby potatoes marinated in thyme, rock salt and olive oil done on the grill and some homemade bread. We had strawberries and ice cream for dessert.

Was lovely and a great first bbq of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sat was quail (€4.99 for 2 in Dunnes) and duck leg, pan roasted with thyme, bay, rosemary and garlic with a white wine jus. Roasted squash and sugar snaps.

Very nice - I'd buy the quail again!
    So cute and tasty:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

bonkey wrote: »
    More importantly, though, we started preparing dinner for sometime the week after next....venison and boar pfeffer. Basically, its a stew where the meat and veg marinade in red wine (and herbs) for a week or more before cooking.

Oh lord, that sounds focking amazing. My husband's good friend who hunts is unfortunately in Chad until January, so there'll be a dearth of fresh game coming our way this year.

On topic: Last night's dins was beef stroganoff (possibly my ultimate comfort food) and tonight will be OH's coddle, if he ever gets back from rugby training...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Was in heaven last night. Deboned some chicken thighs and cut into thick strips. Coated in cornflour and fried til crispy. Made up some Franks buffalo sauce to coat the chicken. Got some tortilla wraps with some mayo, lettuce and red onion. Put the spicy chicken strips on top and wrapped it all up. Nicest wrap ever!! mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Last night baked cod, boiled salad potatoes, and a delicious garlic-y ratatouile with some excellent white wine. Nomnom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Last night I made my first chilli beef quesadillas. Fried some mince, chilli and onion, then threw in tinned tomato and some spices, and banged them in a wrap. Pretty good for a first time!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Oh lord, that sounds focking amazing.

Its not half bad.

[url=http://www.dspsrv.com/cookbook/meat.html#_Venison_Drowned_in_Red_Wine_
    ]Here's mrs. bonkey's recipe[/url]

I've managed to convince her to get rid of the gravy granules since that was written up, and we both agree that its better without.

We also use any old root veg we have and not just carrot.

Oh..and it'll work just fine with beef

Last night, we had sweet & sour pork. Hadn't cooked that in ages....and was pretty happy with the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Am off sick with flu so have been cooking up a storm out of pure boredom. Last night I made pizza using a soda bread recipe for the base. Topped it with mushroom a la creme, crispy bacon and mozarella. Threw in some chopped chilli in the hopes that it'd sort out my flu (it didn't).
    Also made the shoestring onion rings from one of the other threads, very tasty.

Tonight is quiche with more bacon, onions, chives and mushrooms and some salad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Am off sick with flu so have been cooking up a storm out of pure boredom. Last night I made pizza using a soda bread recipe for the base. Topped it with mushroom a la creme, crispy bacon and mozarella. Threw in some chopped chilli in the hopes that it'd sort out my flu (it didn't).
    Also made the shoestring onion rings from one of the other threads, very tasty.

Tonight is quiche with more bacon, onions, chives and mushrooms and some salad
    You have the Flu and you're able to cook, let alone eat?!?! :eek:

Fairplay. Any time I've had the Flu I haven't been able to stand up never mind cook!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Ha, I'm on day 7 now so appetite is back with a bang. Am also most likely a little high from all the drugs/painkillers I'm taking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night hubby was a bit blue so I made him a chilli burger and home-made chips. That's a big garlicky beef patty, grilled, topped with spicy home-made chilli, jalapeños, cheese and caramelised onions, served in a floury bap. He wasn't blue for long. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Had a really crap day in work yesterday & needed a change of scenery. Took a train up the Alps & treated myself to the most wonderful potato & garlic soup, followed by a farmer-style fondue with bacon & potatoes. All washed down with a couple of litres of local beer.

I’m a happier bunny today. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A few of my Berner pals brought me to an “Irisch Nacht“ in a really nice Bern restaurant last night. The food was excellent, but not exactly what I had been expecting.

We kicked off with a thai-curry beetroot soup served in an expresso cup. Irish Night – here we go!

The fish course was a darn of salmon smoked in the restaurant’s own smokehouse served with a whiske glaze & pureéd celery. It was the most tender & succulent salmon I have ever had.

The next course was a breast of quail on a bed of creamed leeks. (More Scots-Welsh than Irish, but delicious nonetheless.)

Main course was a rack of lamb served with shepherd’s pie & ratatouille. The lamb was too undercooked for my own taste (I swear that it still had a pulse!), but very tender.

Bread & butter pudding with plums marinated in whiskey finished off the evening.

Each course was served with a wine or whiskey chosen by the sommelier.

Not so much an "Irish Night" - more of a "6 Nations Night" given the eclectic mix of Home Nations food & the vast quantities french & italian red wines we polished off. :)

Nice.

Last night, we just had cottage pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Coated in cornflour and fried til crispy. Made up some Franks buffalo sauce to coat the chicken.

I'm on supermarket number 4 and have yet to find this stuff. I'm becoming increasingly irate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I'm on supermarket number 4 and have yet to find this stuff. I'm becoming increasingly irate...

I've seen shelves of the stuff in Tesco. (Mahon Point and Blanch)

• Advertisement

Last night was pan-fried breast of pheasant, wrapped in Schwarzwalderschinken (black forest ham), served in a brandy, cream and shallot sauce, accompanied by fennel gratin, mixed boiled veg, and boiled potatoes.

All washed down with a bottle of oustanding local Chardonnay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement