Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tonight was...

A starter of smoked trout with radish carpaccio and salad.
    A main of hare fillet, wrapped in pastry, served with spinach and potato gratin.
    A desert (waiting till we have space) of apple and redcurrant crumble.

I also knocked up a rabbit liver and rum pate, and cooked my spiced meats (mentioned last week sometime). 'Twas a busy evening in the kitchen, but so far its been worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

shredded chicken with pancakes - like duck, only you use rice paper pancakes, shredded carrot, cucumber and spring onion and a sauce of ketjap manus and fermented chili in oil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Tonight is quorn (I know, I know - but its all I had in the freezer and Im too tired to go to the butchers) flash fried in the wok with peppers. Then onto a plate of rice with a homemade curried carrot dahl on top. I made a roasted red pepper dressing yesterday so Ive lashed a bit of that on top.

Still tastes like something that would be simulated on the Enterprise. :( I need to start stalking neuro-praxis again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Deepsense wrote: »
    I need to start stalking neuro-praxis again.

I love being stalked by you! I am a really simple cook and don't (can't!) do anything super-fancy or inspiring, so I'm glad you like the sound of my dinners. I'm also an economical cook as I'm a bit broke. Sometimes I really make a pig's ear of dinner though.

I sometimes make meal plans because I'm (slowly slowly) losing weight, and I put a list of some of my recent meals on the N&D forum recently to help out a fellow WeightWatcher, so maybe they'll give you a few ideas! I'll edit to take out the exact portions, calories etc. :)
    Seasoned grilled pork chop with roasted butternut squash with herby mash, followed by a cinnamon baked pear and ice cream.

Home-made meatballs in a home-made tomato and herb sauce with spaghetti, and a crispy side salad with baby plum tomatoes. A bit of Parmesan and garlic bread would have been good here too.

Home made leek and potato soup followed by portobello mushrooms stuffed with garlic and herb cream cheese and some seasoned breadcrumbs, baked (very rich!) and eaten with a big side salad dressed with lemon and olive oil.

Home-made pizza (my own recipe) with loads of fresh vegetables and lean ham, and a crispy dressed side salad.

Beef stew made with lean steak, baby new potatoes, onions, mushrooms and carrots in (I confess) Oxtail soup.

Cod fillet seasoned with flour, salt and black pepper pan fried in olive oil with mixed steamed veg baby new potatoes and some parsley sauce. (This is also nice with an oily, sweet, vinegary tomato salad.)

Hearty chicken and vegetable soup with brown bread.

3 egg omelet with lean bacon, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes. (This was crap; I am rubbish at omelets.)

Seasoned grilled chicken breast topped with finely sliced fried onions, with a baked potato topped with garlic and herb cream cheese and a large baby spinach salad dressed with raspberry/balsamic dressing.

Last night we had a good old Saturday night chilli con carne with sour cream, jalapeños, grated cheddar, spicy rice and tortilla chips, with beer and good friends.

The night before we had broccoli and cauliflower soup (this was a failure - bland and sickly), a roast chicken stuffed with a nice onion, thyme and bacon stuffing, with roast potatoes, steamed carrots and mangetout with gravy. Dessert was lots of raspberries and blueberries with a little vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Tonight was home-made cordon bleu, served with chips, boiled veg, and a lambs-leaf salad.

• Advertisement

I love being stalked by you! I am a really simple cook and don't (can't!) do anything super-fancy or inspiring, so I'm glad you like the sound of my dinners. I'm also an economical cook as I'm a bit broke. Sometimes I really make a pig's ear of dinner though.

I sometimes make meal plans because I'm (slowly slowly) losing weight, and I put a list of some of my recent meals on the N&D forum recently to help out a fellow WeightWatcher, so maybe they'll give you a few ideas! I'll edit to take out the exact portions, calories etc. :)

Last night we had a good old Saturday night chilli con carne with sour cream, jalapeños, grated cheddar, spicy rice and tortilla chips, with beer and good friends.

The night before we had broccoli and cauliflower soup (this was a failure - bland and sickly), a roast chicken stuffed with a nice onion, thyme and bacon stuffing, with roast potatoes, steamed carrots and mangetout with gravy. Dessert was lots of raspberries and blueberries with a little vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.
    Ive noticed that youre very good with the economical cooking - I compare you to beer-revolu :) Ive said before he has to be a king of somewhere as his meals are so sumptuous!

Tonight is whatever is in my Mums fridge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had roast beef that I picked up on special offer in Dunne's. It was rib roast, my favourite, and it was tender and delicious. Roast potatoes, steamed broccoli, carrots and gravy - yum :)

A sort of lamb chili. Take the ingredients you'd use in a normal chili, but substitute lamb mince for beef, chick peas for kidney beans, and add a touch of cinnamon. Very satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Coley baked with some bay, thyme, parsley, lovely mash with a touch of chillie and pepper, peas n carrots nothing added to them they are fab on their own and a lovely thick home made white sauce seasoned with nutmeg yum yum. Real comfort food, enough butter in the whole dinner to give you 3 coronarys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night was chorizo and chickpea stew, served on garlic-rubbed toasted ciabatta.

Tonight I'm torn between sausage casserole or sausage & sage baked potatoes. I'll give himself the deciding vote when he comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we're having chicken casserole.

tonight was venison cutlets, kale, roasted tomatoes, and roasted potato slices gratinated with gruyere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Tonight my friend cooked and it was spaghetti with home-made tomato sauce and home-made spicy Italian sausage. Amazing. I'll share the sausage recipe when she passes it on!

We went with the baked potatoes, in the end. Thrice-baked, to be specific. They were fcuking fantastic. I could happily live out the rest of my days on potato skins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

last night it was haddock chips and beanz
    :cool:

tonight tuna fish bake. :D

Tonight, we cooked the last of the game we picked up recently.

We had fillet of venison, baked with a crushed hazelnut and breadcrumb topping, served with a stags breath (whiskey & mead) sauce, mashed spuds, and some leftover red cabbage.

Bonkey, you're making me so jealous with your supra-gaminess...

Tonight we had tater-tot pie. The taters were really more dumpling than tot, but it was still delicious.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Bonkey, you're making me so jealous with your supra-gaminess...

Its funny...a week or two ago, I was thinking to myself that I had managed to almost completely miss game-season over here this year....and then it literally went from a famine to a feast (game-wise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It'll be a simple pasta bake tonight with pancetta.

Tonight I had my first ever chipper kebab and it was absolutely as awful as I always suspected it would be. Managed only two bites, and that was with proper grilled chicken, not even that awful dog-food "lamb".

Give me a proper shawarma any day. I'm frickin starving now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

It was a freezing cold night here in Belfast, so we had steak and kidney pie with puff pastry, cheesy mashed potatoes, and carrot and parsnip - and a medicinal bottle of Bordeaux :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Deepsense wrote: »
    Ive noticed that youre very good with the economical cooking - I compare you to beer-revolu :) Ive said before he has to be a king of somewhere as his meals are so sumptuous!

Tonight is whatever is in my Mums fridge.
    :D:D:D

I also consider myself an economical cook, though.

Been in Dungarvan for the last week - staying and eating in Lawlors hotel.
    Now, I thought that eating in a hotel bar for five days in a row would really suck but the bar food in Lawlors is surprisingly very good.
    Their fish and chips is as good as I've had anywhere (fresh fish, light batter, homemade chips, homemade dressing on salad and mushy peas), the duck confit is excellent too and the burger looked fantastic.
    Most of the mains were €12 (steak €18), it's an odd menu but really well done.
    Best hotel bar food I've had in Ireland!
    Funny hotel but I like it (beats the hell out of edge of town chain hotels).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Individual beef and guinness pies with braised spinach and boiled spuds.

Tonight will be grilled chicken thighs with roast tomatillo sauce and lots of leftovers - dijon mash, oven dried tomatoes, onion jam, refried beans, salad leaves.
    A mix and match use up everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Buffalo wings, blue cheese dip with celery sticks, mushroom pizza, tortilla chips with melted cheese and hot salsa, olives, anchovies in oil & vinegar, artichoke hearts, tomatoes and mozzerella, hungarian smoked sausage. Caesars made with Clamato and Bison grass vodka to wash it down.

The missus fancied picky plates......:D

Thursday night was "dirty pasta" (pasta w. mince, basically)

Friday night was raclette....first of the season.

Saturday night was beef and mushroom stew, mashed spuds, and some veg.

Tonight will be lamb, roasties, cauliflower cheese...

Beef stir fried with mushrooms and brocolli in oyster sauce, served over jasmine rice.

Tonight housemate making tuna pasta salad now so delving into that soon.

Tomorrow is chicken stir fry and brown rice. Im going to make enough for the weeek as just had a weeeks hols and back to work for a week and then off for 9 days hols again so dont want to go mad on the food this week, plus in training again so have to behave.

Well after searching what felt like every supermarket in Carlow with no joy whatsoever, I finally stumbled across Frank's Red Hot Sauce totally by accident in my mum's local newsagent last night, so tonight I will be attempting to make Buffalo Blasters in the style of the Cheesecake Factory. Wish me luck!

• Advertisement

On Saturday, with the chicken and tomatillo, we also had stuffed, breaded Nepalese bell peppers - grown on our windowsill. Very pretty and tasty - ate the whole crop in one meal (6 little peppers stuffed with feta).

[IMG][/img]nepalese_1.jpg

[IMG][/img]nepalese_2.jpg

[IMG][/img]nepalese_3.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement