Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Well after searching what felt like every supermarket in Carlow with no joy whatsoever, I finally stumbled across Frank's Red Hot Sauce totally by accident in my mum's local newsagent last night, so tonight I will be attempting to make Buffalo Blasters in the style of the Cheesecake Factory. Wish me luck!

Just looked up the recipe for this. Sounds amazing. Please let us know how they go for all us Franks addicts :D

For those who are also interested:

"Cheesecake Factory's Buffalo Blasts

Pack of wonton wrappers (large squares)
    one egg white
    1 chicken breast
    Frank's Buffalo Style Hot Sauce (THIS IS THE EXACT SAME HOT SAUCE THEY USE!!!)
    grated cheese (I like to use a mexican mix)
    bread crumbs (both plain large crumbs and italian style)
    Bake the chicken breast at 375 until done. Shred the breast (I only use the
    inside because it's the most tender).

Lay out the wonton wrapper and lay chicken breast inside with cheese and
    drizzle hot sauce over it. I like to add a little garlic powder to mine.
    Moisten the edges of the wonton with water or egg white and fold it
    horizontally, pressing the edges closed. Use a pastry brush and brush egg
    white over the outside and cover with a mix of the italian and plain bread
    crumbs.

Place them two at a time into a deep fryer at 375 until they're golden
    brown. Make sure to turn them. Place on a napkin or paper towel to drain
    excess oil off.

Serve with celery sticks, extra hot sauce for dipping, and some blue cheese
    or ranch. The hot sauce Frank's buffalo style hot sauce is the best and is
    what they use.

Servings: 4 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Just looked up the recipe for this. Sounds amazing. Please let us know how they go for all us Franks addicts :D

They were an unqualified success! I hadn't even thought of looking up a recipe, just decided to try and copy them based on what I remembered. Anyway, here's what I did:

1) Poached two chicken breasts in a mix of beer & water with garlic & pepper, and shredded/chopped finely. I chose to poach as there'd be no seared/tough bits on the outside.

2) Made up the Franks/butter (I actually used low-fat spread and it was grand) sauce and mixed in the chicken.

3) Used filo pastry to make the blasts - adding cheddar cheese and a grind of black pepper before wrapping them - and deep-fried in a wok (cause I don't have a deep-fat frier).

Only improvements I could think of would be to use a mix of parmesan & cheddar, or just a much sharper cheddar cause the one I used got a bit lost against the buffalo sauce. I also want to get wonton wrappers next time I'm near an Asian store, just out of curiosity to see if they're any easier to use than the filo, which can be a bit fiddly.

By the way, the Frank's website is well worth a visit - they have literally hundreds of recipes, the vast majority of which sound absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tonight will be lamb and sweetcorn with mixed veg

Tommorrow, i'm goin to attempt prawns for the first time.
    I reckon I'll go chilli and garlic, with soy and tomato

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

They were an unqualified success! I hadn't even thought of looking up a recipe, just decided to try and copy them based on what I remembered. Anyway, here's what I did:

1) Poached two chicken breasts in a mix of beer & water with garlic & pepper, and shredded/chopped finely. I chose to poach as there'd be no seared/tough bits on the outside.

2) Made up the Franks/butter (I actually used low-fat spread and it was grand) sauce and mixed in the chicken.

3) Used filo pastry to make the blasts - adding cheddar cheese and a grind of black pepper before wrapping them - and deep-fried in a wok (cause I don't have a deep-fat frier).

Only improvements I could think of would be to use a mix of parmesan & cheddar, or just a much sharper cheddar cause the one I used got a bit lost against the buffalo sauce. I also want to get wonton wrappers next time I'm near an Asian store, just out of curiosity to see if they're any easier to use than the filo, which can be a bit fiddly.

By the way, the Frank's website is well worth a visit - they have literally hundreds of recipes, the vast majority of which sound absolutely fantastic.

Sounds good. Yes I've seen the franks recipes on the website before. Must venture out a bit and try something other than the amazing chicken wings. Gotta try those blasts next though with some wonton wrappers and breadcrumbs. mmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As per "Leftover Beef" thread in F&D...

On Saturday I did roast beef with roasted veg (spuds, carrots, parsnips, squash & onions) & garlic. I deliberately bought an oversized joint & also roasted extra veg & an additional head of garlic.

On Sunday I sweated a finely diced onion, couple of celery sticks, carrots & a couple of diced potatoes in olive oil. I shredded most of the remaining beef, chopped up the leftover veg (carrots, parsnips & squash) & garlic & added this to the pot. Threw in a bay leaf & couple of sprigs of thyme. Then added the leftover gravy & topped it off with some fresh stock.

I let it simmer for a couple of hours & then roughly blended it. I served it with warm crusty bread.

The last of the beef I used on Monday to make a few sandwiches with liberal amounts of white pepper & worcester sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night, we had "farmer's sausage" in onion gravy with a pasta-and-veg bake.

Tonight, we had ham, the rest of the pasta-and-veg bake, and some cabbage salad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made Brie and cranberry parcels this evening. They were more of an appetiser, so I had lemon chicken (from M&S, I can't take any credit for it) with potato cakes for dinner. A bit of a mish-mash, but satisfying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

bonkey wrote: »
    Last night, we had "farmer's sausage".

That sounds so roode! Yes, I am completely juvenile.

Tonight we had white chilli in twice-baked potato skins. It was so legendary, we're having the same thing tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Pasta Carbonara, sort of, wholewheat organic pasta ..yes we start off healthy but then goes downhill with a nice big glug of cream to make the sauce and of course nice fatty bacon bits.

For dessert Chocolate orange cake from the Avoca book 1 recipe, heaven on a plate.

Naughty but nice.

That sounds so roode!

True, but Schweizer Schweinsbratwurst doesn't sound like half as much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Oven-cooked bacon, gorgeous fresh corn, potatoes, gravy.
    Proper winter 'mammy' dinner :D

True, but Schweizer Schweinsbratwurst doesn't sound like half as much fun.

Entschuldigen - kann ich haben Schweizer Schweinsbratwurst mit ein stange bitte? ;)

This evening, mrs bonkey made Pariser Schnitzel, tomato risotto, and cucumber salad...

...and damned fine it was.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Entschuldigen - kann ich haben Schweizer Schweinsbratwurst mit ein stange bitte? ;)

Gerroutofit with your stange. Silly little 2.5 or 3 dl beer....

's Grosses. Yer only man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

Beef and Guinness pie with mashed spuds and sprouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

jos28 wrote: »
    Beef and Guinness pie with mashed spuds and sprouts.

What recipe do you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

My Mams recipe;
    2lbs Stewing beef (diced and rolled in flour)
    5 large onions sliced
    1 can Guinness
    Beef stock(I used Knorr stockpot)
    1 dessert spoon brown sugar
    Puff pastry

Fry the beef to seal it, add all other ingredients and simmer slowly for about 3hrs(check regularly and add more stock if needed)
    When the meat is cooked put it into individual pie dishes and top with pastry- Bake at 190c for about 10 mins just to cook the pastry.

Mam used to put bacon pieces in as well but I prefer it without.

Hill Billy wrote:
    Entschuldigen - kann ich haben Schweizer Schweinsbratwurst mit ein stange bitte?
    Gerroutofit with your stange. Silly little 2.5 or 3 dl beer....

's Grosses. Yer only man.
    "Stange" is also a term for an erection. Bit of a foodie double-entendre in deutsch there. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Pan fried Sea bass seasoned with sea salt, pepper and a dash of lemon juice.
    Home made oven chips
    Carrot and Parsnip mash with a little bit of fresh chilli and shallot through it.

Delicious.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    "Stange" is also a term for an erection. Bit of a foodie double-entendre in deutsch there. ;)

Indeed. And 's Grosses would translate as "a large one", which is no entendre at all ;)

• Advertisement

Anyway...for dinner this evening, we had fillet of rabbit, roasted in pastry, served with wild rice and a fennel gratin.

There were no Stange or Grosses involved.

Just a nice bottle of Dole Blanche.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭budgemook

Only heard about this Franks hot sauce when my sister asked me to bring it back from USA. It's savage, why have people stopped selling it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Tonight is chicken and mushroon pie with roasted fennel and colcannon.Its a rotter of day outside so pie feels perfect.

Although Jos28 has m thinking maybe beef and guinness pie now.

Dessert is pineapple upsidedown cake. They were on special offer during the week so Ive been indulging tropical tastes in the rainy weather :)

There seems to be a leaning to the German side of cookery of late. In the Epicurean Food Hall, a new bratwurst stand has opened. Fiercesome good too! Had one on Tuesday. Hagen is the guys name and he's very much into his quality (92% pork) I know we are not allowed to plug here, but its €3.50 for a wurst and roll and either onions or sk. It was the best wurst Ive had in Ireland without a doubt. Its going to be a regulr before the cinema for sure :)

Please dont ban me! Im not connectde to him in any way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Deepsense wrote: »
    There seems to be a leaning to the German side of cookery of late. In the Epicurean Food Hall, a new bratwurst stand has opened. Fiercesome good too! Had one on Tuesday. Hagen is the guys name and he's very much into his quality (92% pork) I know we are not allowed to plug here, but its €3.50 for a wurst and roll and either onions or sk. It was the best wurst Ive had in Ireland without a doubt. Its going to be a regulr before the cinema for sure :)

Just to back you up here, his bratwursts are absolutely delicious, and he is simply a stand up guy, and everyone should check him out. I'd really love to see him succeed.

Last night, we were at my sisters, and had curry.

This evening, I have a brace of pigeons...and am trying to figure out how best to cook them, cause I've never done pigeon before.

Last night, we were at my sisters, and had curry.

This evening, I have a brace of pigeons...and am trying to figure out how best to cook them, cause I've never done pigeon before.

Joint the birds & pan fry in olive oil & butter, with garlic & wild mushrooms. Serve as a warm salad with some rocket/chard & a good splash of worcester sauce.

Thanks for that.

Mrs. bonkey wants it roasted whole...and Switzerland being Switzerland, I can't easily go shopping for some mushrooms, but you've given me enough of an idea of what I'm going to do...

Pan-fry, then roast the birds...then serve on a bed of wirsing (savoy cabbage, IIRC). I saw some old Jamie Oliver ep recently where he did the savoy with a good ol' splash of worcestershire...which is how your suggestion led to this.

I think I'll a potato and leek gratin could work with that.

I'll let herself decide if that's a red- or a white-wine dish :)

Right...to the kitchen with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,641 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

here is what we had for dinner last night, its a great receipe as its very easy to cook and its better then the sum of its parts if that makes sense. Its from one of Derina Allen's books. From Sicily I believe.

Pasta with Sardines

350g tagliatelle
    2 tbls olive oil
    110g onion chopped
    50g pine nuts lightly toasted
    50g raisins plumped up in hot water
    2-4 tablespoons chopped fennel leaves (normally leave out)
    2 tins best quality sardines in olive oil
    4 tbls grated parmesan

Cook the pasta.

In a pan , heat the oil add onions cook until golden then add the nuts, raisins and fennel, toss well

when the pasta is nearly done add the sardines to the pan with the sauce for a minute or so.

then serve with the parmesan on top

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'll let herself decide if that's a red- or a white-wine dish :)

Red definitely.

BTW - If you need any onions I'm sure that you know today is the day to get them in Bern. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night was a roast sirloin of beef, roast spuds and carrots, yorkshire puddings, cauliflower cheese and some steamed brocolli.

I cooked the beef in a low oven at 65c for three hours, then flash fried it to crisp up the outside. Result was rare roast beef from the outside to the centre.

I also made the yorkshires and roast spuds with a little goose fat left over from a big confit of duck the previous weekend. 12 duck legs are slowly maturing in the fridge - good Christmas fare...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement