Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

Pasta with chicken and chorizo (along with onions,peppers, garlic, basil,and olives in a tomato based sauce) topped off with grated parmesan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Tonight it was comfort food. Sirloin steak (medium rare), roasted garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli and sauté mushrooms. The piece de resistance was crispy fried onion sprinkled on top of the mashed potato!! Flipping delish, if I say so myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Last night, mrs. bonkey cooked potato gnocchi with tomato sauce and tuna, which we had with some salad.

As a starter, we had some sausage rolls which I made at the weekend. 'twas my first attempt at making and seasoning the actual sausage meat, and I was quite pleased...although I had a touch too much mace in the flavouring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bonkey wrote: »
    Last night, mrs. bonkey cooked potato gnocchi with tomato sauce and tuna, which we had with some salad.

As a starter, we had some sausage rolls which I made at the weekend. 'twas my first attempt at making and seasoning the actual sausage meat, and I was quite pleased...although I had a touch too much mace in the flavouring.

Yup, it's easy to over do the mace (i did on my first effort - my second try was better)
    Fresh garlic can really take over a sausage mix too - so be careful there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Good aul Shepherds Pie this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Aidric wrote: »
    Good aul Shepherds Pie this evening.

Me too!!!! Was delicious. I added lots of spicy tomato ketchup and it really made a difference!!

Tonight, I did lamb (nierstuck...is that flank?) with a rosemary and garlic breadcrumb crust, cheesy potatoes, roasted tomatoes, and fried courgettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night was Irish Angus fillet steak sandwiches on toasted ciabatta with rosemary, garlic & lemon butter and crumbled feta.

Tonight was griddled halloumi seasoned with chilli oil & paprika served with homemade chilli & coriander hummous and warm flatbreads.

Tomorrow will be stroganoff, otherwise the beef I defrosted over Sunday night will be going in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Paella. In a big paella pan. Made it as a combination of odds and ends, sort of in the spirit of the original - had pork fillet but no chicken, had chorizo and had prawns, then some peas, a little chopped green pepper etc. Came together nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Klove

Spaghetti with arrabiatta sauce and chickpeas. Sauce made from scratch in about 15 mins and v. tasty it was too. Covered the whole lot in parmesan. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Nigel Farage

I had baked cod with mash, peas and a hollandaise sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Tonight was chorizo, red pepper and potato quiche with some oven chips...

Tonight was breaded pork chops, fried potatoes, and mixed boiled veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Last night was Homemade Ravioli (stuffed with Mince, Mushrooms, Onions and Garlic etc) with a tomato sauce.

For the main course I made Chicken Stuffed with black pudding wrapped in bacon with a cidar and mustard cream sauce and green beans with sesame seeds and garlic butter.

It was lovely..

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Last night was baked sea trout with a white wine sauce(onion,stuffed olives, sweet gherkin, white wine, fish stock and double cream)
    served with sliced cucumber drizzled with good quality olive oil.
    Simply delicious:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Going for the gourmet mighty meat this evening. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I made riceflour bread - I could kill someone if I fired it at them. Its like a friggin brick. It was meant to go with the prawn and egg fried courgette that the housemate was making - unfortunatley, that was equally as disgusting. :(

Ive a pot of red lentil, kidney beans and chick peas on for falafel. Ive addded too much water - just a tad too much - into the mix so its too flussig for balling, but too thick for soup. Its like Flahavans flashy Italian cousin :o

Seriously not impressed this evening. Well on the way to a Might Meaty too at this rate :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last two nights my good lady has done the cooking!

Thurs was a pan fried sausage cassorole (peppers, chilli, toms, etc) served with rice. Last night was a a chicken tarragon dish (no cream), baby spuds and veg.

All delish!

Really wanted soup for lunch but found the freezer was bare:mad:

So decided to make soup using ......STOCK CUBES:o!!
    Lentilles vertes, onion and potato, flavoured with cumin, green cardamom, green chilli, black pepper bay leaf and fried garlic.
    Twas chicken stock cubes and it tasted great - not stock cubey at all:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

chicken stir fry, have stew bubbling away now for tommorrow:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

OH is away so cooking for one at the moment, tonight I had spaghetti with oil, breadcrumbs, onions and garlic and parsley from the garden. I used avocado oil instead of olive oil and it was quite nice.

Really wanted soup for lunch but found the freezer was bare:mad:

So decided to make soup using ......STOCK CUBES:o!!
    Lentilles vertes, onion and potato, flavoured with cumin, green cardamom, green chilli, black pepper bay leaf and fried garlic.
    Twas chicken stock cubes and it tasted great - not stock cubey at all:D
    BR!!! Stock cubes???!!!! Oh my Godfathers! :pac:

Tonight is Quorn fajhitas (spl?). Does anyone know if there is a sour cream equivalent made from soya or rice?

Ive a fruit salad of pineapple, pink grapefruit, canteloupe melon and mango with granola and soya yoghurt for after.

Last night was chicken & chorizo in a habanero & tomato sauce.

Friday went to Mt. Wolseley for a toastie.

Thursday was an absolutely appalling meal in an Italian in Carlow town. The dish of olives that came before the starter had a pre spat-out stone in it :eek: Nuff said.

Today we're going to the Ballymore Inn for one of their cracking pizzas in a bid to erase the memory of Thursday night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had lobster bisque with crusty bread for lunch today. I was going to do lobster thermidor, but just got too lazy!

Deepsense wrote: »
    BR!!! Stock cubes???!!!! Oh my Godfathers! :pac:

I know....don't tell anyone!!:cool:
    Tonight is Quorn fajhitas (spl?). Does anyone know if there is a sour cream equivalent made from soya or rice?

Don't know.
    You could always stop inviting vegans to dinner;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Friday night Mrs Billy treated me to a super shin of beef stew. A wonderful meal to come home to after a couple of weeks away working.

Saturday I treated her to a Thai green curry.

Then Sunday did a roast chicken which is HB Jr I's favourite.

A great weekend with everyone's taste buds happy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Bolognese and multi-coloured pasta in the shape of wheels. Very 8 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cooked lemongrass chicken and a chili on Sunday to supply meals for the week. Need to finish putting together the barbecue. (Yes, I know it's about four degrees where you lot are.)

Just use soya yoghurt. Obviously it's a lot runnier but the taste and cooling effect are pretty much the same.

• Advertisement

Don't know.
    You could always stop inviting vegans to dinner

Its for me! :eek: Shock horror! Im refining my diet. Dairy does not agree with me and Im getting mroe and more dubious about the real benifits of eating chicken as time goes on. Chicken breast - I should clarify. If a recipie calls for a whole chicken then its easier to source one that hasnt been raised in misery - Ill never be a "Quorn au vin" gal! But for simpler dishes like the fajhitas, then yes, its easier to go soya than hunt down the right chicken.

Thanks Honey-ec. Had it and yes, pewfect.

Tonight was lasagne - had it in work, it was the worst lasagne Ive ever not eaten.

BTW - job pimp here, mods delete if not appropriate, but there chef jobs going with the company I work for - best rates Ive seen and all the usual benifits. pm if and Ill send on the details.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement