Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sweeper, that jewelled rice sounds amazing!!
    (all does really but so much food in one day!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sweeper, that jewelled rice sounds amazing!!
    (all does really but so much food in one day!!)

You know, interestingly enough while Christmas Day is quite excessive, gorging on seafood is a different sensation to gorging on turkey and carbs. We found ourselves having that excessive inverted-belt Christmas dinner table sensation, but it passes quickly and you return to comfort quickly. Perhaps because it's so much protein? Not sure.

And if you think that's a lot of food, I left out the pavlovas we had for dessert at nine o'clock last night... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

For dinner today, we got stuffed with turkey, stuffing, veggies, roast potatoes, masked turnip and mashed potatoes. Mmmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We found ourselves having that excessive inverted-belt Christmas dinner table sensation, but it passes quickly and you return to comfort quickly. Perhaps because it's so much protein? Not sure.

I'm jealous. I felt uncomfortably full for hours and hours after dinner last night. It was horrible. Can see the benefit of a Christmas BBQ now. Roast was very heavy when it's warm outside. Still delicious though!

My OH bought me Julia Child's book, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" for Christmas so I think I'll be doing some heavy, buttery cooking over the next few months! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Nice Christmas afternoon following a somewhat mad morning. My mum joined us and we had the following;

Aspargus with melted mozzeralla wrapped in proscuitto (thanks bbcgoodfood.com!)

Prime roast rib of beef, served with mash and roast spuds, buttered carrot batons and spiced red cabbage

Finished with some traditional pud and some wonderful trifle courtesy of the good lady!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

For lunch I had Christmas Day leftovers in a sandwich.

For dinner I had Christmas Day leftovers not in a sandwich.

Add to that about half a bucket of chocolate chip cookies and a botte of wine and you have my Boxing Day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

After yesterday's cooking marathon, today we had bubble and squeak made mostly from leftovers. It was buttery, oniony carrots mixed with sprouts, mash and bite-sized pieces of ham and a couple of chopped roast potatoes, heated in butter in a big pan then stuck under the grill to crisp the top. Yummy served with brown sauce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Red, yellow and green peppers, an onion and round steak cut into strips. Marinaded in cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. Served with salsa (kind of) and creme fraiche.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

a great big salad and it was wonderful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Citrus roast poussins with cinnamon and smoked paprika; cous cous made with chicken stock, a little osftened onion and a couple of dollops of harisa; chermoula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Hot and spicy pork sausages, sliced, in a rich tomato sauce with red onion, red pepper, garlic and herbs, with penne.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Roast shoulder of lamb, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, honey glazed carrots, mushy peas and gravy, washed down with a couple of glasses of white wine and followed by banoffee pie. I'm going to explode now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Had people over for NYE last night and had carrot and ginger soup made with the last of the turkey stock, roast goose stuffed with a forcemeat and apricot stuffing, roast potatoes & carrots and I made a lemon curd cake for dessert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

roast chicken with all the trimmings was my turn to cook since gran did christmas day

Tonight it's going to be pork ribs with soy, ginger, garlic and a touch of heney with brown Thai rice and Chinese leaves with ginger, black beans, soy and sherry.
    Simple.

Been away for the week between Stephens Day and New Years Day. Went to Tasmania and spent six days walking, climbing, swimming and generally having outdoorsie fun.

Back now, and not much cooking done yet - bought a cooked chicken from the supermarket on the first day and ate that over two days, now need some inspiration. Weather's a bit weird at the moment - mixture of warm and blustery with some showers. Will have to just visit the store today and see what looks good I think...

Oo! Maybe thai chicken noodle soup... /looks out window - YES my kaffir lime tree has regrown some leaves, that's dinner tonight sorted now...

/Edit - just checked the freezer. There are some meat joints in there that I really should use up - you know, so that I can then refill my freezer with stuff that'll sit there for another year. Have taken out a piece of shoulder pork to defrost. Probably won't roast that, but am thinking long slow stewing in something like vietnamese clay pot pork could be the ticket...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

... with Frank's RedHot sauce and Danish blue cheese dressing. No celery, though! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

Smoked haddock risotto. Recipe from "il primo" page of "zest" book. 100% scrumptious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Totally delicious baked venison sausages with lentils. Recipe here: http://www.spittoonextra.biz/baked_venison_sausages_with_le.html

• Advertisement

One of my Christmas gifts is a nice bottle of really hot Caribbean chilli sauce, so we made a fiery chilli con carne last night, with a couple of tablespoons of that stuff in it. Hot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

crab claws to start in garlic butter & then steak with pepper sauce.

Went with vietnamese clay pot pork last night, cooked in an actual clay pot. I have a few sizes of single handled clay pots with wire meshes to help conduct heat. They're attractive cooking vessels and I should use them more. They keep the heat in for a while after cooking too, which is nice.

Next thing I do in them will most probably be beef with lemongrass and chili...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Celeriac 'oven chips' and pan-fried haddock. Lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 318830

Hi folks, Finally taking the plunge and posting after very long-time lurking ! Had baked salmon with a herb crust served with couscous and bean salad with baby spinach leaves and potatoe salad . Mmmmmmmmmmm ! So nice to be back from all the rich pickings of Christmas.:)

The last two nights friends have done the cooking.

Sunday night was chicken thighs in a red wine sauce with lemon and rosemary potato wedges, followed by winter fruit pavlova. Last night was roast chicken with roasted sausages in honey and wholegrain mustard, roast potatoes, roast maple parsnips and carrots, a dish of roast (seeing a theme?) med veg, and gravy. Dessert was going to be the all time classic of Viennetta...but we were too full and never made it. :)

Tonight's dinner is gonna be a sandwich!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

In an effort to reduce christmas bulge...last night was butternut squash and yellow pepper soup with homemade rosemary and sundried tom bread (not v seasonal I know...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

The last two nights friends have done the cooking.

Sunday night was chicken thighs in a red wine sauce with lemon and rosemary potato wedges, followed by winter fruit pavlova. Last night was roast chicken with roasted sausages in honey and wholegrain mustard, roast potatoes, roast maple parsnips and carrots, a dish of roast (seeing a theme?) med veg, and gravy. Dessert was going to be the all time classic of Viennetta...but we were too full and never made it. :)

Tonight's dinner is gonna be a sandwich!
    Im convinced you and Beer Revol should marry and have the next little Marco!

Over the Christmas I was eating desserts just because they were there and looked yummy. My clothes are actually painful to wear due to a 9lb increase in the space of 3 weeks, so in the interest of not ending up on a couch/bed being winched in and out for regular weigh in on a truck scale, Ive begun the new year with a steadfast resolution of losing the weight in an enjoyable fashion.

Last night was tofu burgers topped with halumi cheese and guacamole, chickpea and tomato and cucumbr salad and roasted red pepper dressing.

While Im dieting Ill be putting you and BR on ignore NP :PP

Deepsense wrote: »
    While Im dieting Ill be putting you and BR on ignore NP :P

Don't blame me, blame the friends who did the cooking! :)

• Advertisement

Deepsense wrote: »
    Im convinced you and Beer Revol should marry and have the next little Marco!

NP :PP

Not sure what Mrs Beer would have to say about that (also not sure what she'd have to say about being referred to as Mrs Beer!!)

Mrs Beer away so it's just frozen breaded fish, mash and soya beans tonight.
    Gotta go peel my steamed spuds now!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement