Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

318830 wrote: »
    Hi folks, Finally taking the plunge and posting after very long-time lurking !

Welcome to the forum. :)

Tonight I made a very nice tomato sauce.

Fried up some onion and garlic until nearly soft, then added chopped mushrooms.

Now, some people might call this cheating, but I'll never go back. Those Marco Pierre White Stock Pots are the biz, I dissolved a veg one in 500ml of boiling water, then whacked it into the pot, on top of that I put a tin of tomatoes, some tomato purée, oregano, salt pepper, and left to reduce. Oh, and some rosé wine which I had in the fridge too.

I had some of my own meatballs in the freezer, so I had them defrosted and heated in the oven.

I don't like pasta, so I eat this with rice.

For herself, I whacked a few spoons of the sauce into a pot with some quorn mince to make a kind of bolognase, which she had with mushroom pasta.

Some grated parmesan on top to complete the dishes.

Scrumptious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

salmon with garlic butter & mashed potatoes & carrots & green beans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Shorba - a spicy lamb and tomato soup with tiny pasta stars. Served with warmed heel of my first loaf out of the new breadmaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

treat for me tonight roasted veg with olive oil balsamic garlic and rosemery and time with a lamb steak, and then i deglazed the pan and added a spoon of mint suce made a kinda suce thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Made my beef and lemongrass recipe. Extremely tasty, and VERY simple indeed!

Strips of sirloin are marinated for a half an hour in oyster sauce, fish sauce and minced lemongrass. (About 300g of steak strips, two tablespoons oyster sauce, two tablespoons minced lemongrass and a tablespoon of fish sauce). Meanwhile, boil some rice vermicelli for four minutes, and refresh under cold water. Then toss to fluff up - they need to be cool and dry when theyr'e thrown back into the dish. You can also try cutting them into more manageable pieces once they're cool.

Scald and refresh a packet of beansprouts, and cut some cucumber into batons. Slice up a fresh chili to taste, and chop some asian basil.

Stir fry a couple of cloves of minced garlic, and half a finely sliced red onion, in a hot skillet. Add the meat and stir fry until cooked - a few minutes.

In a very large bowl, place the veg and basil in the bottom, then put a handful of noodles, and top with the cooked meat. Dress with some chopped roasted peanuts and a flavouring oil using some chili oil and a little soy. Then toss the lot in the bowl until everything is coated in the sauce from the meat.

Enjoy - it tastes very rich with the lemongrass and oyster sauce, and oddly sweet, but it's very flavoursome. The cooled noodles, allowed to dry and become sticky, absorb a lot of the sauce (as opposed to freshly boiled rice noodles, which are still damp so the sauce slides off them). It's really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Des wrote: »
    Now, some people might call this cheating, but I'll never go back. Those Marco Pierre White Stock Pots are the biz.
    Yeah they're great alright. Nearly every time I make a stock it's different because, apart from a few staples, I just add in whatever veg I have that's on it's last legs. So when you do a recipe and it turns out great it's hard to recreate cos you never have the exact same stock!

Last night was Pea & Mint soup. Wanted to make one that's like the Cully & Sully/Ballymaloe one you get in the shop. This one's on the money. It's basically this (used a Marco Pierre veg stock pot) but with a few sticks of celery and a potato chopped up and added at the start as well.

Mrs. Allen says it freezes very well so have a half dozen handy lunches/tea ready to go too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had 4 Ancho chillies that we grew on a window sill (dried in the airing cupboard) which I wanted to put in a dish where the flavour of the chillies would come through.

So tonight it's belly pork stew with anchos, served with butter beans and roast Jerusalem artichoke and oca .

I made a chilli powder from the anchos.
    Almost no heat from these chillies but great flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

Beef Stew with crusty bread tonight. Great winter fodder. Made the stew using Marco's Stockpots. Have to agree with Des and Franko, they are the biz. I have used them all and would not use anything else now. I also have a piece of spiced beef simmering on the hob. I have never cooked this before so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Marianated Chicken in a crusty roll. Delicious.

Ingredients:

Boneless and skinless chicken fillet
    Marianade sauce (bought from the Butchers, so I don't have the recipe for it)
    Crusty Bread Roll (from the supermarket)

1) Wash the chicken fillet(s) in cold water, then pat-dry with kitchen paper.
    2) With a pasting/basting brush, brush a little EV olive oil over the fillet(s), and a little over the tinfoil, do the same with the marianade sauce.
    3) Put the chicken fillet(s) in the tinfoil and completly cover over.

Our oven is a fan oven and we cook at 150º for around 30-35 minutes.

Simply, easy and yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

was gifted some venison from a local hunter so really made the effort last night. marinaded it in white wine and herbs and roasted it. made gravy from juices and thickened with roux. tryed and adventuous red wine and chocolate sauce which was disaterous. for veg had celeriac and mash mix and potatoe gratin. it all sounds nice but i would have prefered the venison not roasted maybe just braised on pan. the chocolate sauce was bitter as hell and the gravy was bland. must admit celeriac and mash mix was excellent. anyone have recommendations:D. m1xr

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Toast (white bread) literally dripping with butter*. It was phenomenal. I want more, MORE! But my mum has guests over, and they're in the room next to the kitchen, so I don't want to go down. Hopefully they'll leave soon.

*I adore toast, but I restrict it to a rare treat. Bread makes me fat :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night was a chicken & veg pot pie, with gratin potatoes.

Tonight I had thrice-baked spuds with chorizo, while tomorrow will be lamb koftas with falafel and grilled halloumi*

*I'm not sure whether to bless or curse the day Tesco started stocking this, as previously it was simply not available in Tullow, thus precluding me renewing my horrific addiction to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

made some goulash yesterday, finished it off today was fab :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

I LOVE goulash but nobody else in my house does, so I never get to make it :(

Chinese takeaway.

Got delayed in town (:mad:) and didn't feel like cooking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Made a Chicken Balti with fragrant (not being poncy that's what the recipe said) Saffron rice, loverly. Used the left over rice later and made egg fried rice, sooo easy but sooo yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 crimmyj

Chicken noodle stirfry with all the asian veggie trimmings and sweet and sour sauce - Sharwood's oriental range only €1 in Superquinn so that made up my mind! All washed down with a glass or two or sauv blanc followed by a couple of sneaky choccie squares and a night by the fire and the Late Late, bliss!

Looking forward to dinner tonight!!!:P

In the oven: Lamb shanks with saffron, orange and apricots, carrots and courgette (and some spices, wine, stock and reduced tomato sauce).

Going to be served with Sweeper's jewelled rice and maybe some green beans.

Can't decide on the wine!:confused:

It's between a Californian Pinot Noir, a Coonawarra Cab/Merlot and a very nice Barbera D'Alba.
    Anyone have any thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Making mushroom and crispy bacon omlette topp with a mix of gruyere, mozz and shaved fab parmesan cheese. Im battling here to get the parmesan removed and replaced with grilled haloumi cheese as I think the parmesan will make it too salty.

Serving that with chips from our great local Italian Catholic chipper (Rocccas on the Malahide Rd...plug plug....great chipper) and a big mixed tomato and baby greens salad.

Not very suitable for the weather but a meal I find to be cheerful and tasty! A big brown bowl of depressing brown stew would do nothing for me today...so Beer, for once Im not wishing I could swap plates to you!

Cheers! Enjoy!

Deepsense wrote: »
    Serving that with chips from our great local Italian Catholic chipper (Rocccas on the Malahide Rd...plug plug....great chipper)
    Cheers! Enjoy!

I didn't know religious persuasion affected the quality of chips??:confused:

Enjoy your summer meal!!

• Advertisement

Strips of Beef in a creamy pepper sauce

tub of cream
    handful of peppercorns
    tbsp mustard
    cayenne and black pepper
    heated until thickened

fried onion and mushrooms

with potato wedges, wedged potatoes rubbed with olive oil and paprika.

bottle of Spaten.

Chicken Chow Main

Fruit and Custard Strudel with Vanilla Ice Cream for afters.

Delish!

I caught an old cookery competition on TheFoodChannel a while ago where Atul Kochlar made Galawati Kebab - a minced lamb rissole made tender with papaya and spices. Turns out Ramsay has a similar recipe - he calls them Galouti kebabs. So I made some.

Trimmed a half shoulder of lamb and minced it twice on a fine grade. Added a quarter of fresh grated papaya, spices including cloves, chilli, mace, cardamon and saffron, also fresh coriander. Also added softened onions and left the mixture to marinade overnight. Then formed into rissoles and dusted with gram flour before pan frying.

In an effort to reproduce Atul Kochlar's recipe, I made a tomato and red onion salad with more coriander (soaked the red onion in milk for 30 mins before completing the salad - A Corrigan tip). Then made a raita and loosened a little mango chutney to make a dressing. Finally trimmed some raw poppadums to a smaller disc and cooked them.

Stacked two rissoles on poppadums with a garnish of tomato and onion salad. Dresseed the plates with warmed mango chutney.

The story behind the Galawati or Galouti kebab comes from ancient India where an eldery king who loved the shawarma kebab was forced to give them up after he lost his teeth. A chef offered an alternative - the name of these kebabs means melt in the mouth and don't they just!

Mains was jeera rice, tandoori chicken and a green bean and chick pea dish with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Raita and a few salad plates rounded off the meal.

The kebabs were worth every second of the effort it took to make them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Im putting togeather a recipie book at the moment and am constantly trawling my own recipies that Ive collected over the years and comparing them with other available. The trouble with that is my head is so full of deliciousness that I cant decide what to cook when the time rolls around for it, leading to some bizzare dinner combos.

Last night was stufffed Jalapeño peppers (goats chese and basil stuffing) crumbed in very fine dried breadcrumbs and deep fried in a litttle pot as I dont have a deep fat fryer. I also left some unfried with a good glug of my best olive oil keeping them moist.

With that we had real Irish Mammy fishcakes - champ, salmon, smoked haddock, prawns, crabmeat (the real deal) and a good handful of finely chopped parsley. Served with homemade aioli and a big salad with asparagus spears and lemon beurre blanc served seperatley.....just because I felt like making them.

Dessert was made by housemate - creme caramels. I did the caramel for her and she made the creme from what appears to be the Spanish equivelent of Birds Eye custard. Was delicious!

So basically, 2 courses of heart attack deep fried stuff and a veg rendered void of any benifit due to the smothr of a butter lemon sauce. Ill be lucky if I see 2011 if I carry on like this! But it was my birthday so Im allowed for one day! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Salt n pepper calamari with a salad. Chomp...

Deepsense wrote: »
    Im putting togeather a recipie book at the moment and am constantly trawling my own recipies that Ive collected over the years and comparing them with other available. The trouble with that is my head is so full of deliciousness that I cant decide what to cook when the time rolls around for it, leading to some bizzare dinner combos.

Last night was stufffed Jalapeño peppers (goats chese and basil stuffing) crumbed in very fine dried breadcrumbs and deep fried in a litttle pot as I dont have a deep fat fryer. I also left some unfried with a good glug of my best olive oil keeping them moist.

With that we had real Irish Mammy fishcakes - champ, salmon, smoked haddock, prawns, crabmeat (the real deal) and a good handful of finely chopped parsley. Served with homemade aioli and a big salad with asparagus spears and lemon beurre blanc served seperatley.....just because I felt like making them.

Dessert was made by housemate - creme caramels. I did the caramel for her and she made the creme from what appears to be the Spanish equivelent of Birds Eye custard. Was delicious!

So basically, 2 courses of heart attack deep fried stuff and a veg rendered void of any benifit due to the smothr of a butter lemon sauce. Ill be lucky if I see 2011 if I carry on like this! But it was my birthday so Im allowed for one day! :)

Happy Birthday!!!:D

Sounds like a fab meal feck the calories - go for a long walk today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JennyMominRI

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Sounds good. Yes I've seen the franks recipes on the website before. Must venture out a bit and try something other than the amazing chicken wings. Gotta try those blasts next though with some wonton wrappers and breadcrumbs. mmm
    I'm a newbie here and an American, but I love to cook. I have some really great recipes using Franks hot sauce if anyone wants them.
    They are
    Buffalo Chicken Chili
    Buffalo and Bleu Cheese Stromboli
    Buffalo Chicken dip(amazing and I serve as an appetizer on holidays)
    I'm hoping to find some great new recipes on here.
    Sorry to pull up and old post but I was reading back through the thread and saw a lot of mentions of Frank's Hot Sauce.

I'm a newbie here and an American, but I love to cook. I have some really great recipes using Franks hot sauce if anyone wants them.
    They are
    Buffalo Chicken Chili
    Buffalo and Bleu Cheese Stromboli
    Buffalo Chicken dip(amazing and I serve as an appetizer on holidays)
    I'm hoping to find some great new recipes on here.
    Sorry to pull up and old post but I was reading back through the thread and saw a lot of mentions of Frank's Hot Sauce.

Hi - I like the recipes if you would care to post them. You might want to start a new thread. I love to try the stromboli and the dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night was chorizo and cannellini bean stew with garlic-rubbed ciabatta toasts. Tonight was coronation chicken baked potatoes and tomorrow will be white chilli.

I'm still a bit hungry now, I might have to have a few sneaky crackers with real butter...

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement