Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was a whole brill, floured and pan fried.
    Roast Jerusalem artichokes and oca.
    Chinese leaves.
    Riesling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night was a whole brill, floured and pan fried.
    Roast Jerusalem artichokes and oca.
    Chinese leaves.
    Riesling.

oca? wassat?

They're like little lemony potatoes. Very tasty with fish.
    Attractive plant too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we had a creamy chicken, mushroom and sweetcorn pie, with garlic and herb roasted baby potatoes and steamed carrots and broccoli, with a nice sauvignon blanc. Our neighbours dropped in with raspberry cheesecake and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

I went to my friends' place for lunch today and it was a classic: Clonakilty sausages, baked beans and buttery mashed potatoes. Legend. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last night I went to the chinese. I normally go to the one up the road, which is covered in MSG and delicious because it's so bad for you. But we decided to make it a bit more special, so we got take-away from Star Vast in Cork city. Oh, my god. It was delicious. I got roast duck in plum sauce, which was to die for. The portions were huge, easily big enough for 2 people, and it only cost €8.80. My OH got something I've never seen before in a Chinese - Crispy Aromatic Lamb. It was lamb "marinated and deep fried, tossed in a shaosing wine dressing with spring onions and chillies". It was amazing too. I highly recommend the place to anyone. (It's a restaurant too, so you can sit in there.)

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Last night I went to the chinese. I normally go to the one up the road, which is covered in MSG and delicious because it's so bad for you. But we decided to make it a bit more special, so we got take-away from Star Vast in Cork city. Oh, my god. It was delicious. I got roast duck in plum sauce, which was to die for. The portions were huge, easily big enough for 2 people, and it only cost €8.80. My OH got something I've never seen before in a Chinese - Crispy Aromatic Lamb. It was lamb "marinated and deep fried, tossed in a shaosing wine dressing with spring onions and chillies". It was amazing too. I highly recommend the place to anyone. (It's a restaurant too, so you can sit in there.)

We used to really like that place a lot too and I'm not sure if we got tired of it or whether the food disimproved. Started to find it a bit too sweet, salty and gloopy - I guess, not different enough from other Chinese restaurants in Ireland. One of the better ones, alright, though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Faith wrote: »

My sister loves the place. They used to do a really good all-you-can-eat lunch. Not sure if they still do it. The Chinese I worked in does Crispy Aromatic Lamb too but I never tasted it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Here's my recipe - I usually just use leftover ham or leg of lamb. It's really good :)

1.5 ltr Chicken or Vegetable Stock
    500g Diced cooked ham or lamb
    50g Barley
    100g Red Lentils, rinsed
    100g Diced Carrot
    50g Diced Leek
    50g Diced turnip
    100 g Shredded Cabbage
    Chopped Parsley
    Salt and Pepper

In a large pot place the chicken stock, add the barley and split peas along with a little seasoning. (If you're using uncooked meat, put it in now)
    Bring this to the boil and reduce to a simmer for about 50 minutes.
    Now add the carrots, leeks and turnips (and cooked meat if you're using that).
    Return to a simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the carrots are almost cooked. Add the cabbage and cook for another 10 minutes.
    Add the chopped parsley and serve in piping hot bowls.
    Thank you :) I didnt use the red lentils but it was delicious anyway!

Galouti kebab, prawn pakoras, vegetable samosa, dhal, rice and salads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Greek lamb pizza in the Ballymore Inn. God, I love that place. It's far too expensive but hot diggity damn the food is good.

Tonight I was feeling very lazy and made burgers for the first time in an age. They were good, but I over-salted them slightly, so between that and the 15 million pickles I compelled to eat with a burger, the mouth is humming off me here.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Greek lamb pizza in the Ballymore Inn. God, I love that place. It's far too expensive but hot diggity damn the food is good.

Tonight I was feeling very lazy and made burgers for the first time in an age. They were good, but I over-salted them slightly, so between that and the 15 million pickles I compelled to eat with a burger, the mouth is humming off me here.

I'd prefer a slightly oversalted burger to an overcooked one!:D

Never had lamb on a pizza!

Pan fried salmon with lemon beurre blanc, cucumber and yogurt and dill salad and german potato salad. Wollicious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

had chicken enchiladas last night, to die for nom nom nom nom nom!! tonight had breaded cod, brussel sprouts and a spoonful of potatoe gratin! nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Chicken jalfrezi with basmati, with naan and chutney (the home-made variety rather than the takeaway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

Normandy chicken with boiled rice.
    The chicken dish contains Chicken(obviously), bacon pieces, onions, garlic, stock, cider, flat leaved parsley and apples. Made a brack to have with the cuppa tea afterwards.Clean plates all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night we made use of the one sunny day we've had in the past month and had a barbeque. Had home made burgers with buns and all the sides and a large salad made of spinach, chickpeas, corn, seeds and feta. Really quick, simple and tasty!

Today is my bday so I'm going out for Italian tonight and I'm going to stuff my face!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

mushroom pasta with broccoli, spinach and ricotta

it was delish and so easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭nickyjellybaby

I made a really tasty massaman chicken curry tonight, first time doing any curry but it's opening my eyes. Only 1 pot, 10 mins to prepare, 40 mins cooking
    didn't have all the ingrediants so I substituted some, I used

chicken
    chicken stock
    coconut milk (meant to use coconut cream but this is what I had)
    cinnamon
    Ginger ( instead of cardomon seeds)
    potatoes
    onion
    fried cashew nuts (had no roast peanuts)
    massaman paste

if anyone wants quantities let me know and I'll pm them to you

Delicious lasagne. And red pepper mash along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Deepsense wrote: »
    Delicious lasagne. And red pepper mash along with it.
    Love that dish did you use beet tomato's or tinned:):)

• Advertisement

terenc wrote: »
    Love that dish did you use beet tomato's or tinned:):)
    A ridiculous indulgence of Italian tinned cherry tomatoes of the highest quality.And pasatta with a dollop of tomato puree. Used red wine for the first time in the recipie was Im delighted with the result!

Ohhhh! Post 999! MUST POST 1000th HERE!!!

1000th post!!

I LOVE COOKING AND POSTING ON THIS THREAD!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Deepsense wrote: »
    1000th post!!

Congratulations! Your lasagne sounds delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I made a really tasty massaman chicken curry tonight, first time doing any curry but it's opening my eyes. Only 1 pot, 10 mins to prepare, 40 mins cooking
    didn't have all the ingrediants so I substituted some, I used

chicken
    chicken stock
    coconut milk (meant to use coconut cream but this is what I had)
    cinnamon
    Ginger ( instead of cardomon seeds)
    potatoes
    onion
    fried cashew nuts (had no roast peanuts)
    massaman paste

if anyone wants quantities let me know and I'll pm them to you

Where did you get the Massaman paste? Would love to try a massaman curry at home but have never seen the paste for it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had baked ham with a honey, mustard and breadcrumb crust served with spiced red cabbage and mash. We had a Superquinn lemon meringue pie for dessert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

Lemon dijon chicken, creamed spinach and a baked potatoe. Yums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Had guests at the weekend, some of whom were vegetarian, so made a ratatouille along with a lasagne for the carnivores. Instead of making a big sloppy vegetable stew, I decided I'd do something with more finesse. Subsequently I made a tomato sauce, flavoured with herbs and white wine and reduced very slowly. Then I oiled and cooked slices of courgette, aubergine and mushroom on the griddle so they were still firm but had lovely bar marks. Then I roasted some peppers until the skins were blackened, and removed the skins, and chopped the peppers.

Then, in a cast iron skilled that had been buttered, I layered the veg with the tomato sauce, like building a lasagne. I drizzled a fresh pesto on each layer, with a little chopped flatleaf parsley, and salt and pepper. Finished the top with a layer of tomato sauce, and cooked it in the oven for 40 minutes, alongside the lasagne.

Went down very well, and looked far better than the 'Hi vegetarians, here is a spoonful of gloop made from vegetables, and some bread, cheers' version ratatouille can turn into...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Had guests at the weekend, some of whom were vegetarian, so made a ratatouille along with a lasagne for the carnivores. Instead of making a big sloppy vegetable stew, I decided I'd do something with more finesse. Subsequently I made a tomato sauce, flavoured with herbs and white wine and reduced very slowly. Then I oiled and cooked slices of courgette, aubergine and mushroom on the griddle so they were still firm but had lovely bar marks. Then I roasted some peppers until the skins were blackened, and removed the skins, and chopped the peppers.

Then, in a cast iron skilled that had been buttered, I layered the veg with the tomato sauce, like building a lasagne. I drizzled a fresh pesto on each layer, with a little chopped flatleaf parsley, and salt and pepper. Finished the top with a layer of tomato sauce, and cooked it in the oven for 40 minutes, alongside the lasagne.

Went down very well, and looked far better than the 'Hi vegetarians, here is a spoonful of gloop made from vegetables, and some bread, cheers' version ratatouille can turn into...

That sounds amazing, and healthy! I must try that during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Where did you get the Massaman paste? Would love to try a massaman curry at home but have never seen the paste for it

I usually get the Charmaine Solomon brand when I am in Sainsburys but I recently saw a small jar in Tesco Jervis. I've never cooked with this brand so I cannot vouch for it. It's not in my local Tesco either.

Last night I made a red chicken curry after a trip to the Oriental Food Store, which meant I was using galangal, thai basil and kaffir lime leaves instead of ginger, sweet basil and regular lime zest. It made such a pleasant difference to the flavour. I also picked up a jar of curry paste in the store and it made the dish look nicer than the Amoy/ Blue Dragon equivalents, in that there were nice speckles of chilli pepper in the sauce.

• Advertisement

Last night was baked dover sole with a herb crust, roast tomatoes, a fennel salad, a green salad and some pesto dressed tomatoes on toasted country bread with rocket.

Tonight we had linguine with crab, chilli and garlic; and a watercress salad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement