Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

irishbird wrote: »
    hey , can you give me the falafel recipe, pretty please :)

Gladly. :) It's my friend Cathy's own creation.

2 cans of chickpeas
    Handful of chopped parsley
    Tablespoon flour
    1 chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic
    Splash of olive oil
    Salt, cumin, coriander, chilli

Pulse together in the blender. Form into little patties, and fry on a medium heat in a little olive oil. Enjoy with all the trimmings!

If you want an easy tzatziki recipe to go with it, just throw together natural yoghurt, chopped cucumber, lemon juice, chopped mint, rock salt and black pepper. :)

The above recipe makes 4 generous portions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Shaws

Burger and chips tonight, but the night before i had home made risotto with cripy veg, with goat cheese omg yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Made an awesome lasagne with mince beef and diced chorizo, stuffed now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Foil baked fillet of bream with fennel, ginger and chilli. Yummy. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Last night I went to a babreque and we had the usual stuff but I also had a paua fitter, which I've never had before. I hate seafood and thought I'd hate but I'd give it a go anyway. It just tasted of nothingness really, not fishy at all.

At least I can add it to the list of things I've tasted anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Pizza tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Barcardi Chicken with avocado salad and mashed potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

mezze plate & then steak with potatoes gratin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Home made pizza which was very tasty. Picked up some tips from this forum. I normally frequent the photography forum so I had to take some photos yesterday.

http://darrengreene.ie/index.php?showimage=82

• Advertisement

Roast Chicken, Carrots, Potatoes and Gravy for us tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

rosmary lamb with puy lentils and baked breadcrumbed aubergine:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Minder wrote: »
    Tonight was Chilli con carne - served it dry, in wraps with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado and tomato salsa with lime juice and coriander; and a bottle of hot sauce.

Okay the food telepathy thing is at work again. While you were eating these on Thursday night, I was shopping for the ingredients for chili on Friday morning my time. Didn't cook it until Sunday though, so last night was chili, and tonight and tomorrow night will probably be chili too (big pot!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Baked spuds with cheese, marinaded chicken legs again and roasted courgettes with plenty of salt pepper and garlic.

Dessert, heart shaped chocolate cake with rasberry cream filling and ganache (sp?) icing. Nigellas recipe, she'll be the death of me.

I have always struggled with eating oily fish (it doesn't seem to *quite* agree with me) so yesterday I gave a new recipe a go so that the other half could enjoy a bit of salmon, with a Mexican twist.

I made a glaze by blending a couple of rehydrated red chillis with some blackened onions and garlic (peeled), with brown sugar, red wine vinegar and a bit of salt. I brushed this onto some salmon fillets and grilled, serving it with a dollop of lime creme fraiche. Alongside we had garlic and herb roasted baby potatoes, with roasted butternut squash, red peppers and babycorn.

It was pretty delicious, although my tummy wasn't great after, so I'm not sure salmon is for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Last night I cooked Gyoza Yaki (a wee invention of my own inspired by two of my favourite Japanese snacks); It looks kind of complicated, but you probably have all the ingredients in your cupboard. I'll put up the recipe for anyone who's interested. Why not try something different this Pancake Day?

All amounts are by eye.

Feeds 2
    for the mince
    200g minced pork
    1tbsp oyster sauce
    Dash soy sauce
    dash sesame oil
    dribble Sake (if you have it)
    Shredded cabbage

grated cheese

for the pancake
    Half cup flour
    1 egg
    milk
    (or use whatever savoury pancake recipe you usually use)

for the noodles
    boiled noodles tossed in sesame oil (2 Sharwood's blocks)
    1 egg per person

Method
    Mix the minced pork with oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, Sake and cabbage. Allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes.

Make a pancake by whisking together pancake ingredients and frying in a little butter. Put aside and keep warm.

Fry minced pork mixture until done (about 5 mins) and put aside to keep warm.

Fry the noodles by drizzling the pan with sesame oil and putting the noodles in. Don't stir them; you want them to cook and set into the shape of the pan. When crispy underneath flip and cook other side. When that's done remove from pan, drop an egg per person into the frying pan and put the noodles in on top (the egg will help hold everything together). Then top with the pork. Generously sprinkle the pork with cheese and put the pancake on top. When the cheese is melted and the egg done you're ready to eat.

I highly recommend heading to your local Asia Market and getting some Okonomiyaki sauce to put on top; brown sauce isn't the same, but would probably work fine.

The original dish (Okonomiyaki) literally means "Whatever you want, fried". As long as you have the noodle base, cheese and pancake this meal will be a winner. In the past I've used sausages and rashers, diced chicken and mixed seafood. My brother describes it as 'the perfect hangover food'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Oh man, okonomiyaki. Think I'll have to dig up a recipe for that for tonight :)

Oh man, okonomiyaki. Think I'll have to dig up a recipe for that for tonight :)
    It's fantastic stuff alright.

There are two types; the one above is for Kyoto style, the other style involves mixing the filling in with the pancake batter and frying it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, I'm all about the Hiroshima-style myself ;)

Last night we had slow cooked beef in red wine, with mash, maple carrots and fine means. Delicious

Edit: er, fine beans.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm all about the Hiroshima-style myself ;)
    Darn it, you're right, the Hiroshima style is the one I cooked, the one where it's all mixed up is the other one.

I like the Hiroshima one best, I find the other type quite watery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Thai green chicken curry with all the fresh thai herbs - galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and thai basil.

Salmon and shiitake mushroom, coconut laksa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sloppy Jo. Messsssssssssssss-eeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy...

Chilli, followed by crepes stuffed with B&J Baked Alaska, nutella, and home-made raspberry sauce. Ace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Chicken stirfry, noodles

Lamb chops, mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy, last night.

Pancakes tonight.:D

Slightly shameful dinner: chicken kiev and oven chips, with a mixed leaf salad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Last night was cod with a pesto crust with a mixed salad - Ive lost 7lbs :)

Tonight was homemade lasagne - pasta homemade too, Im really getting into it. Ive had a pasta machine for years but have only really started kicking it up with the last year with great results. Im in the process of turning my garden shed into a kitchenette (who needs a lawnmower anyway :P) of sorts. I have herbs, potted veg and broom handles strung with pasta and drying sheafs of herbs. A friend is installing a smokery at the weekend! I cant wait to try all sorts!

First thing Im gonna smoke is butter! And Im making goats cheese with a mad cheese freak and Im going to bury half in the bog at home and bring the other half to smoke it with tobacco.

Winter does strange things to my palette!

• Advertisement

Last night was cod with a pesto crust with a mixed salad - Ive lost 7lbs :) .....

First thing Im gonna smoke is butter! And Im making goats cheese with a mad cheese freak and Im going to bury half in the bog at home and bring the other half to smoke it with tobacco.

Winter does strange things to my palette!

Wow - what was in the salad? The tiny weeny mushrooms are not good for you. :D

Seriously, I have a new smoker (great minds think alike). Can you smoke butter? I haven't used it yet, but am waiting for a mild weekend before firing it up. Got any other ideas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement