Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

:D Mushrooms! Not a bad idea!

Salt is my big thing at the moment. Im going to try rock salt using rosemary as part of the chipping. Im going to use maple chip at first. Then Ill use that salt on sides of various fish to cook them. Or Ill pack the fish in the salt and smoke it all togeather - or both, just for the craic.

Think what a lovely sauce smoked tomaotes would make! Garlic is an oldie but a goodie. When the new baby pots come up (if they do) Ill be loading them in as well.

Yep, defo have to wait for the less moist weather, but the cold is good for depth of flavour if youre not in a hurry.

This is going down much better than my liver bolognaise idea! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Liver bol....

[/shudder]

Nevermind. We had home made nachos - corn chips, chili, melted cheese, guacamole, salsa and sour cream. Scarf: then nod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mrs Billy & the kids came over to visit me in Bern & we had an amazing meal in Restaurant Klötzli Kellar...

Mrs Billy - Calf's liver in a cream sauce with Rösti. The liver was so succulent & tender it was just amazing. Quite simply the best liver I have ever tasted.

HB Jr I - Burger & chips. Sounds simple, but the burger was homemade & way better than a lot of steaks that I've had. The chips were shoestring-style & served with a spicy homemade ketchup.

HB Jr II - Tagliatelli. Fresh pasta & butter - nothing else needed.

Me - Treberwurst with warm potato salad. Treberwurst is steamed on the grape waste left over from making schnapps. Alcohol & pig all in one. It doesn't get better than that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭silver_surfer

Chicken carbonara with wholewheat pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Fried egg, rashers and potatoes for me tonight.

rashers, potatoes, carrots and gravy for my mam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

:D Mushrooms! Not a bad idea!

Salt is my big thing at the moment. Im going to try rock salt using rosemary as part of the chipping. Im going to use maple chip at first. Then Ill use that salt on sides of various fish to cook them. Or Ill pack the fish in the salt and smoke it all togeather - or both, just for the craic.

Think what a lovely sauce smoked tomaotes would make! Garlic is an oldie but a goodie. When the new baby pots come up (if they do) Ill be loading them in as well.

Yep, defo have to wait for the less moist weather, but the cold is good for depth of flavour if youre not in a hurry.

This is going down much better than my liver bolognaise idea! :pac:

Eel - Smoked eel. I love smoked fish and smoked eel is delicious. But it is also hideously expensive. Strangely it's price is not related to a luxury status - jellied eels are working mans fare. Have me a smoker and have me a large fish market next door to work. Here's hoping for homemade smoked eel:D

Tonight was panfried fillet of salmon, steamed spinach and boiled spuds with a parsley sauce.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had a bit of an odd meal. Striploin steak with garlic butter, and roasted Mediterranean vegetables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We were running around last night packing as we are away for the weekend and building bedside tables and I was sorely tempted to get a take away. We're trying to cut right back on takeaways so I resisted and made a kind of schwarma kebab. We had pork mince with chilli kidney beans, grated carrot, cheese and spinach in pitta pockets. I brushed the pitta pockets with olive oil and rosemary and it made a huge difference.

Was quite yum actually, far more yum than a takeaway would have been!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I had a homemade burger with avocado salad and rosemary roast potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My friend from SA cooked for us tonight. The first course was goat cheese wrapped in parma ham. This was followed by a delicious Greek salad. Next was a kind of cannelloni dish - pasta sheets stuffed with a meat sauce and baked. The main course was T-bone steak and roasted asparagus. Dessert was pavlova (I abstained, round of applause for me).

Wowza!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had Irish Angus ribeye steaks with garlicky roasted potato cubes and braised cabbage with shallots. 'Twas delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

chicken with pesto & parma ham, tomatoes, carrots & green beans & garlic potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cabroig

HI 10 FRIENDS ARE DOING A COME DINE WITH ME TYPE NIGHT FIRST WHICH HAPPENED LAST WEEKEND . IT WAS ITALIAN NIGHT AND WE HAD 8 COURSES .FANTASTIC NIGHT BUT HOW DO YOU BEAT THAT . ANY BODY GOT IDEAS FOR FOOD AND A TYPE OF THEME FOR THE NIGHT . THANK YOU :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Chicken and leek pasty. So good I burnt my mouth eating it straight from the oven. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Back bacon cooked for 90 minutes in the oven, lemon juice and some sea salt on the skin side to beging with. Then I turned it an covered the underside with equal parts red curry paste, olive oil and mango chutney after an hour. Had it with a salad with beetroot. Probably needed about 30 minutes more cooking to render the fat a bit more but nice enough for a very cheap cut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

cabroig wrote: »
    HI 10 FRIENDS ARE DOING A COME DINE WITH ME TYPE NIGHT FIRST WHICH HAPPENED LAST WEEKEND . IT WAS ITALIAN NIGHT AND WE HAD 8 COURSES .FANTASTIC NIGHT BUT HOW DO YOU BEAT THAT . ANY BODY GOT IDEAS FOR FOOD AND A TYPE OF THEME FOR THE NIGHT . THANK YOU :D

You'd be far better off starting a new thread about this, that way you'll get more replies.

Went to "festival" of Canadian food (in honour of the Winter Olympics) in Altes Tramdepot in Bern last night. Had a platter of ribeye steak, sockeye salmon & horse steak with potato wedges. These were served with a whisky/tomato/onion sauce & a cranberry/chilli sauce.

Salmon was too dry, but the ribeye & horse steaks were very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Roasted a half leg of lamb with garlic, rosemary and anchovies last night, on a bed of rosemary and crushed garlic with some onion, water and red wine poured into the pan. (Have rosemary bushes in the garden, did some pruning :) ) Flavour very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Went indian mental on sunday. Onion bhajis, lamb samosas, potato and aubergine dhansak and aloo gobi. Still trying to eat my way through it all.

thanks first time using it so how would i do this

• Advertisement

cabroig wrote: »
    thanks first time using it so how would i do this

Go to the Cooking & Recipes forum, click on New Thread on the top left, then type in a title for your thread and post your question :)

THANKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Last night we ate in the Market Bar with friends and enjoyed chickpea and chorizo stew, fish pie, patatas bravas, paprika steak, nachos and some tasty bread. Sadly not washed down with Erdinger as they no longer stock it! :eek: Trés disappointed.

Tonight we made falafel and had it with pitta, tzatziki, bulgar wheat and tomato salad, hummous and mixed leaves. Fab.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Roasted Mediterranean vegetables (butternut squash, sweet potato, red pepper, aubergine*, courgette*) with a pesto dip, and couscous cooked in chicken stock and flavoured with lemon juice, cinnamon, raisins and parsley. Sounds odd but was quite tasty really.

*Turns out I don't like these :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

One of those raiding the back of the cupboards/freezer day.

Found mince and bread flour.
    Made burgers with cumin and coriander bit of english mustard.
    Burger buns with the bread flour, bit of coleslaw left in the fridge and a bit of caramlised onion. Nummy nummy.

That bread flour is really handy to have at the back of the press, makes rolls, regular bread or pizza base just add water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chips, bacon, eggs, beans. No frills.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i made my first soup ever!
    Sweet potato, red pepper, onion,little red curry paste, coriander and dash of lemon juice. was yummy!

I had bolito misto with tongue, calf's cheek, brisket & beef sausage in Della Casa. I nearly wept with joy it was so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Very naught..chips. Lovely salt and vinegar soaked chipper chips washed down with chocolate mice and cheap cherry bakewells, feel sick now but flippin disgustingly lovely.

Tomorow I'll do better. Am loving roasted courgettes at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

The hubby made it...stir fried chicken curry with waterchesnuts...I added mayo to mine but then again am heavily pregnant...marying a wonderful cook was a great idea...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement