Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding: Your Views!!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Are you suggesting that we change the rules of the roads now as there is no such thing as a dangerous road/bend/corner?

Groan

The road signs are for drivers. If no one drove on the road you wouldn't have the road sign. The danger only exists because you are driving on the road. You are the danger. The road isn't going to do anything to you. The bend is a dangerous bend because you are driving a car towards it.

Seriously this is like arguing with a 5 year old. Mommy mommy I don't want to go down to Timmy's house, the sign says the road is dangerous. Its going to get me!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

jonny24ie wrote:
    If i remember rightly that was around about the NAAS road there!! If not its similar to what happened there!!

Don't know for definite, was on a some road outside the city anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Wicknight wrote:
    Groan

The road signs are for drivers. If no one drove on the road you wouldn't have the road sign. The danger only exists because you are driving on the road. You are the danger. The road isn't going to do anything to you. The bend is a dangerous bend because you are driving a car towards it.

Seriously this is like arguing with a 5 year old. Mommy mommy I don't want to go down to Timmy's house, the sign says the road is dangerous. Its going to get me!! :rolleyes:

My original point was that the Guards should be targeting the roads where most accidents occur (I called them dangerous roads, I'm so sorry about that, I should have said roads with high accident rates). Why are you going off in tangents arguing about this?

Stark wrote:
    Don't you mean "the knife isn't dangerous, the person holding the knife is dangerous"?

A knife is dangerous. A car is dangerous. A road isn't dangerous, outside of something like a mud slide.

I've never heard of anyone being killed by a road in Ireland. Have you?

Despite the is the amount of times you heard "It wasn't my fault, it was the road" when someone has an accident in this country is ridiculous, as if the road actually did something.

Wicknight wrote:
    A knife is dangerous. A car is dangerous. A road isn't dangerous, outside of something like a mud slide.

It's no wonder you have 6,971 posts to your name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You're being so anal it's not funny. I drive slower on dangerous roads than I do on safer roads such as motorways. I wouldn't do 120km/hr on one of the backroads from Finglas to Blanchardstown in a million years. Why would I bother doing a slower speed if those roads weren't dangerous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Wicknight wrote:

Well I was walking down the road one day and there was a left turn.... as I turned the corner I noticed it started to get darker and it was overgrown with trees!! I walked a bit in and my pulse started to race!! Then out of nowhere this road jumped out on front of me holding a knife!!! He was crazy, wanted to slit my throat unless I gave him all my money!!!

Man that was one dangerous road!! I will never walk down there again!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

arrived to find one of the drivers was decapitated
    That's happens quite a bit in road accidents. I wouldn't say it's rare. I know two people who were decapitated following traffic accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

This is going off topic and very silly and pedantic.

The OP asked about speeding, not Speed Limits, not Dangerous Bends, Not Kitchen Knives.

Excedding the speed limit is unlawful, if you get caught you get fined and Penalty Points. Does anyone have any different opions to that?

Tomorrow we will discuss, dangerous bends, roads that speed limits could be increase / reduced and why? and why did Jonny24ie's attacker get an suspended sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You want to go fast, go to mondello for a track day.

Obey the law or pay the fines and get put off the road :D

Public roads are for the public and hence have rules to govern them so everyone knows what to do. A speed limit is a limit, you should drive at a speed which is safe for the circumstances. If its a 50 km zone then its a residential area, housing estates are 30 for a reason.

Anyways, whoever is for speeding is losing a battle here, its illegal and your breaking the law. If you get caught then its just tough.

If you have a problem with it then get the law changed and stop posting on this thread ! :)

• Advertisement

Stark wrote:
    You're being so anal it's not funny.
    Clearly you are missing the actual point of all this.

IrishSpeedTraps (wonder what his position is :rolleyes:) was claiming that speed cameras should be placed on "dangerous roads" You are the danger

My point is that the thing that makes a road dangerous is the drivers on the road. Therefore the speed cameras should target dangerous drivers. You can do this anywhere.
    Stark wrote:
    Why would I bother doing a slower speed if those roads weren't dangerous.

The road isn't dangerous. You doing 120 km/hr along the road is dangerous. If you were doing 10km/hr there would be no danger.

As I was trying to point out it is the driver that is the dangerous element in all this, with possibly the car following close behind.

The prevailing attitude here with a lot of posters seems to be that a driver only becomes a dangerous driver when they are confronted with a "dangerous road". Mary is not being dangerous when she speeds on a motorway, or on a national road, she is only being dangerous when she speeds on a dangerous road. So lets stick all the speed cameras around the dangerous roads. Bingo bango, no dangerous drivers.

The point that is being missed is that the driver, Mary, is a dangerous driver no matter what road he is on. They just get away with it more on roads such as motorways. You can lose control of your car anywhere. You can crash into an unseen car or person anywhere.

I'm not saying the police should ignore areas that have a lot of accidents. But ultimately this "sure speeding is ok" attitude in Ireland needs to change. Clearly this isn't going to happen on its own.

If I had my way (and all you speeders better be thankful I don't) I would blanket the country with random speed traps all over the place that change place all the time.

I would want it so that no one speeds simply because they never know when or where they will get a ticket. It could be anywhere.

Wicknight wrote:
    Clearly you are missing the actual point of all this.

IrishSpeedTraps (wonder what his position is :rolleyes:) was claiming that speed cameras should be placed on "dangerous roads"

My point is that the thing that makes a road dangerous is the drivers on the road. Therefore the speed cameras should target dangerous drivers. You can do this anywhere.

The road isn't dangerous....

...blah blah blah, and he goes on

I will clarify yet again what I meant. I meant that the speed traps should be placed on the roads with the highest accident rates. I incorrectly used the term dangerous roads to describe these roads. My point is that because so many accidents occur on these roads then these are the roads where the Guards should be focusing their speed traps.

Now can you get back on topic and tell us if you think the speed traps should be located (covert or not) on roads with the highest accident rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Wicknight wrote:
    If I had my way (and all you speeders better be thankful I don't) I would blanket the country with random speed traps all over the place that change place all the time.

Agreed. This would ensure that speed limits were adhered to. However, this is not going to happen.

The powers that be will be enforcing multiple fixed cameras, same as the UK. The major indication that this will be the case is the proposed ANPR system for tolling on the M50. In my opinion, this is a foolish way of dealing with road safety. Habitual speeders will slow down for the cameras, then speed back up again. A far better way of improving road safety would be to increase the visible presense of the gardai on the roads.

In my personal opinion, anyone caught speeding deserves the points. If you're travelling too fast to see a speed trap (mobile or fixed), then you're travelling too fast full stop.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Every time the issue of speeding comes up, the usual bunch brings up autobahns, and how wonderful they are.

Unfortunately, Ireland is not remotely prepared for such a utopia, as many of our road users have just about enough intelligence to have mastered the correct use a chair. Driving in a responsible safe manner whilst keeping within the relevant road legislation appears to be outside the scope of many.

Those who believe that they can exceed the speed limit on any road, and do so safely, are a liability and hazard to those who do obey the law, and do not deserve the priviledge offered by driving.

How often have you looked in your mirror before overtaking to see a car approaching in the distance behind you, and you then have to judge how fast its travelling at? Is it going at 120kmh? 160kmh? 200kmh? You'd like to think there would be an upper limit somewhere.

This is the reason for speed limits - They are a set of rules which apply to all road users, and those who don't obey them compromise the safety of all others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wicknight wrote:
    But that was kinda my point. "Way too slow" for what? What do you need to do that it is vital to drive faster than that in an urban area?

My view is that 70 kph would be appropriate.

Advertisement