Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 Noise ??

• 21-03-2007 11:43am

I just got a 360 so I'm new to it, but is it a noisy machine or is there something wrong with mine :confused: .

It's fine when it's not running games but when you do CD Spin is noisy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its a noisy machine alright!!
    I only got mine the other day but its sounds as if its suppose to be like that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

tis indeed noisy. thats why the wireless contorllers are a godsend cause i can close the glass doors on the tv unit shelves which helps to dampen the noise significantly :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mine's fairly loud as well. You probably got one the last of the older 360 models with either a hitachi or toshiba-samsung DVD drive. Since about the end of january, microsoft have switched over to BenQ drives, and they are meant to whisper quiet.

Microsoft are also moving over to a 65nm architecture next month, which will allow for cooler quieter fans. They will also sport HDMI output and 120HD.

My machine might mysteriously die when these appear. :D

Thanks for the replies guys, the noise i can drown out when i get it hooked up to the surround later.
    My machine might mysteriously die when these appear. :D
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The 360 uses a temporary cache on the hard drive when playing a game, however the load on the disc drive is still considerable. Intense 3D games like Gears of War obviously will cause the drive to spin at its maximum speed to read at 15MB/s.

Hopefully quieter drives will help, I don't think the 65nm manufacturing process will, as the main noise maker is the DVD.

There is a rumor floating around that microsoft is releasing a firmware patch to slow down the drive, take that with a large pinch of salt :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

It sounds like an old PC, pretty annoying. I don't mind the sound of the fan as you'll forget that but the nonstop "clicking" is annoying. I'm sending my Xbox back because it has froze a few times, do you think they'll upgrade the DVD drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

It's noisy as hell, it runs too hot, micro$oft charge money for everything and deliberately cripple the console to protect their PC windows market. Oh, and it will break down on you soon... why do I still love my 360?

Advertisement