Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has RHD hit Ireland???

Options
  • 21-03-2007 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

after being away from the sport for a few yeaes i notice the number of rabbits has deteriorated badly, is this due to the rabbit haemmoragic disease where rabbits just bleed to death unlike going blind and running in circles with the mixi, does anyone know has RHD hit this country yet? or what is its position in europe??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

is this a natural or synthetic thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭the demon

no as far as i know its man made, i read about it a few years ago, i think it was developed to combat the rabbit problem in australia, it gives them a horrible death but spreads like wildfire, in a small country like ireland it cuold wipe them out! DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY CONCRETE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS??http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/rabbit_hemorrhagic_disease.pdf?
    check this out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

the demon wrote:
    after being away from the sport for a few yeaes i notice the number of rabbits has deteriorated badly, is this due to the rabbit haemmoragic disease where rabbits just bleed to death unlike going blind and running in circles with the mixi, does anyone know has RHD hit this country yet? or what is its position in europe??

Great, just when I was getting urge to start eating them again, this pops up......

TJ911...

Trojan911 wrote:
    Great, just when I was getting urge to start eating them again, this pops up......

i know the feeling< have you checked out the link on my last post? scary!
    Apparantly it can effect hares now too. if it is here or gets here it wont leave much sport for anyone.check this out if you didnt the first time,http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/rabbit_hemorrhagic_disease.pdf?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

It says on the link that there is no threat to humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

Whether it's RHD or not I don't know but there is no doubt that the rabbits have completely gone from my land near Clones. I've just spent a week there and covered a lot of land, mine and neighbours, and there's no sign of a rabbit anywhere. The locals all tell me they haven't seen any for months. Was reduced to eating beef!

George

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

vcsggl wrote:
    Whether it's RHD or not I don't know but there is no doubt that the rabbits have completely gone from my land near Clones. I've just spent a week there and covered a lot of land, mine and neighbours, and there's no sign of a rabbit anywhere. The locals all tell me they haven't seen any for months. Was reduced to eating beef!

George
    and where in clones can you shoot beef ????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I thought i was just getting bad at finding the little feckers.

thelurcher wrote:
    It says on the link that there is no threat to humans.
    no one said there was a threat to humans, only threat to humans is there will be nothing left for us to shoot!!!

vcsggl wrote:

George
    howya george, not sure if it is here but there is a severe shortage of rabbits, unless clones is walkin with them and your keepin it a secret, ha ha,
    Has anyone come across this RHD in ireland yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I would not be suprised, there seems to be very few rabbits near me (Waterford). The Calicivirus "escaped" from an Island research station in Australia in the mid 90s. All the Australians told me the effect was very rapid and rabbits disappeared from most parts of Australia. However thay havemade a bit of a comeback in the last few years. One park ranger told me hehad to get 2 tonnes of explosive fot the 300+ warren problem he had.

Advertisement