Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem when ripping CD's

• 21-03-2007 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are ripping CD's onto a Laptop and are getting a wierd error.

it says
    " One or More Tracks can not be ripped " We tried deselecting each track one by one and it still didn't work.

When i tried to rip the CD on my PC it worked fine.

We are both using Windows Media Player 11 and I'm nearly sure I've set both WM players up the same way.....

Does anyone have any idea why my PC will rip them and the laptop wont?
    Would there be a security setting different ?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

[edit]Just found out it will Rip WMA but it's only on MP3 we are having the problem,, And we need it in MP3 [/eidt]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Could be.
    Download and rip using CDEx (free).
    NeVeR wrote:
    Hi,

We are ripping CD\'s onto a Laptop and are getting a wierd error.

it says
    \" One or More Tracks can not be ripped \" We tried deselecting each track one by one and it still didn\'t work.

When i tried to rip the CD on my PC it worked fine.

We are both using Windows Media Player 11 and I\'m nearly sure I\'ve set both WM players up the same way.....

Does anyone have any idea why my PC will rip them and the laptop wont?
    Would there be a security setting different ?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

[edit]Just found out it will Rip WMA but it\'s only on MP3 we are having the problem,, And we need it in MP3 [/eidt]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

We have a CD ripper and CDEx is kinda the same as it.. and the problem is that when you rip a CD it doesn't take the Artist name/album name or any track info with the Rip... and we need it because the Music is going on to a Sonos wireless home System and you cant have 100 CD's all called Untitled lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

NeVeR wrote:
    We have a CD ripper and CDEx is kinda the same as it.. and the problem is that when you rip a CD it doesn\'t take the Artist name/album name or any track info with the Rip... and we need it because the Music is going on to a Sonos wireless home System and you cant have 100 CD\'s all called Untitled lol.
    But _that software_ rips OK?

This issue is most likely a CDDB / conenction issue...is the laptop connected to the \'Net at the time? What are the CDDB settings? What application?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

NeVeR wrote:
    [edit]Just found out it will Rip WMA but it's only on MP3 we are having the problem,, And we need it in MP3 [/eidt]

I wonder is this anything to do with the need to have an mp3 encoder installed?

Try downloading LAME, reboot, and see if it will make any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

EAC (exact audio copy)

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    But _that software_ rips OK?

This issue is most likely a CDDB / conenction issue...is the laptop connected to the \'Net at the time? What are the CDDB settings? What application?

It did rip it.

How do i check the CDDB settings?
    Yes the laptop is connected to the Net.
    what do you mean by "What Appliaction">?

stanley1 wrote:
    EAC (exact audio copy)
    What ??? I dont want an Exact audio copy I need it in MP3

tom dunne wrote:
    I wonder is this anything to do with the need to have an mp3 encoder installed?

Try downloading LAME, reboot, and see if it will make any difference.

You dont(or shouldn't) need one with WMplayer 11. And it works on my PC with nothing added.

We might try Lame if we cant get anything working.

But we would like to get WMP working if we can,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

EAC wil rip to mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

As with most Windows OS add ins , WMP will give you basic functionality , nothing spectacular , just basic functionality , its Mp3 ripping abilities are basic , and you shouldnt be surprised when it falls down , variations in drive capabilities can cause this.

EAC is the best ripper out there , it has error correction built in , so any mistakes on one pass are corrected on the another , as far as I know , WMP does not have this.

EAC in combination with Lame , is the best solution out there for ripping MP3's bar none , Lame has a stellar reputation that few can equal.
    They are both free programs so theres no excuse , if you want hassle free MP3 ripping at top quality with automatic tagging , use EAC and Lame.

You can kick the Gnarly old dog that is WMP as much as you like , its still a Gnarly old dog !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

EAC is extremely slow in my experience. If you don't have an amazing set of speakers you won't notice any difference with the sounds quality either. Audiograbber is hailed as the closest thing to EAC, but it rips a lot faster. Very easy to use and config as well.

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

EAC is extremely slow in my experience

Absolutely correct , it is slow , but thats because of the error correction , if you have a weak drive that keeps missing and causing the rip process to fail , EAC will help out here.
    Better to rip once slowly and correctly than rip many times with little success.
    Audiograbber is very good though , I wouldnt knock that either !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

NeVeR wrote:
    What ??? I dont want an Exact audio copy I need it in MP3
    EAC is the name of the software package, not the format it creates.

Advertisement