Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth any credits?

Options
  • 21-03-2007 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

My mother qualified as a psychiatric nurse in 1992 and she has what was called at the time a higher diploma in management from the NCI.

She was offered the chance to continue onto a Masters degree by the NCI when she finished their course in 1997 which she had to decline.

It's ten years later and although she's making very good money she's browned off doing what she's doing.

What I would like to know is in terms of the new NFQ system what are her current qualifications classed as and would she be able to claim credit if she wanted to do a degree in let's say psychology or business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

GDM wrote:
    What I would like to know is in terms of the new NFQ system what are her current qualifications classed as and would she be able to claim credit if she wanted to do a degree in let's say psychology or business.

AFAIK, a higher diploma is still classed as such.

As for credits, it depends on the course. She would of course apply as a mature student (I assume she is over 23 :D) and she would apply for exemptions. These would be reviewed and approved accordingly by the course board. Sounds like there would be overlap between the business and mangement courses, and the psychology and psychiatric courses.

Advertisement