Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to cancel Smart Telecom

Options
  • 21-03-2007 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I signed up online with Smart Telecom back in December. After numerous phone calls and promises I am still without a modem so cannot connect to the internet.

I rang up to cancel the service because they have not supplied me with my broadband but they are saying they will charge me the cancellation fee as they don’t have to supply me with a modem!

Also they don’t have an answer phone service which it doesn’t say on there website

Am I screwed, is there anyway I can get out of having to pay the cancellation fee?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Read their terms of service, i wouldn't think they could do that to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

I can't find there terms of service anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Just don't pay - if you have a DD, cancel it.

I was thinking of just canceling the DD but then they'll most likely just suspend the service and I then can't switch to another telecom provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Doesn't sound like the Smart I've dealt with......

Post on their forums, being sure to include your phone number in your profile; eJay & the rest of the support team there are on-the-ball and will look after you.

Unless you signed up for some special offer, I can't see how they're not supplying the modem; the standard one is (AFAIK) free, while the wireless one costs extra.

Lots of people on these boards have used other modems/routers, but that's usually by choice - Smart normally supplies the Aolynx.

Did they send you the username/password ?

As for cancelling, it's up to you, but I'd definitely put decent BB ahead of an answering service.....buy one of those phones in Tesco for €30 and you'll end up having both.

Post in the Smart support forum and see what they say....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I agree that it certainly seems very untypical of Smart.

As suggested above why not post in the Smart forums:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

The guys there are exceptionally helpful.

I can understand your frustrations but it really is worth persisting if you can get Smat at all stick with it.

They have never posted me a Username or Password the only thing I have recieved from them is bills. The reason why I think they didn't is because they were supposed to send me out a modem and I assume it would be setup on that.

I rang them at the start of January telling them I was going to cancel and they sent me out a letter offering me 50 euros credit so I could buy an answering phone. I told them if I recieved the modem in the next 7 days I would stay with them.

7 days passed no modem.

At the end of January I was to them again telling them I was going to cancel, they said that they would organise a modem to be sent the next day to my office this time. They emailed me looking for my mobile number to make sure there would be no cockups. I emailed them my number and they replied to say they were updating the system.

Nothing arrived and no phone call. I rang them a couple weeks later and there reason for no modem arriving was they had the wrong address! Thats the best they could come up with.

Should I have received some contract in the post? I orginally signed up online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Repost the above post in the Smart forums (including your phone number in your profile) and see what they can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I'm confused, if you weren't recieving their service how can they bill you? In the past they never started charging anything till they had the BB on the line up and running. They usually sent out the modem a day or two before that.

Assuming that the dsl router is still part of their package this seems very odd? Just checked that and according to this

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadbandfeatures.php

"# Free equipment, including a 4-port router, two splitters, cables and a power supply
    # Free equipment delivery
    "

So somebody is spoofing about the router unless they have changed terms and conditions.

As has been already mentioned check the customer care forum over on smarts site. Since its a 12 months contract there probably would be a termination fee unless they broke the contract by not fulfilling it. If they didn't send out the router that would seem to be a breach of it.

• Advertisement

machalla wrote:
    If they didn't send out the router that would seem to be a breach of it.

Apparently they don't have to send you out a modem as long as they connect you up that’s it. They said I've been connected to broadband since the start of January. They could also see I hadn't been logged on.

Considering I didn't have a modem or passwords or anything I would have thought that was fairly obvious I wouldn’t have been logged on.

Does anyone know if your supposed to sign a form for your contract? I've asked them to send me out mine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Mojito wrote:
    Apparently they don't have to send you out a modem as long as they connect you up that’s it. They said I've been connected to broadband since the start of January. They could also see I hadn't been logged on.

Considering I didn't have a modem or passwords or anything I would have thought that was fairly obvious I wouldn’t have been logged on.

Does anyone know if your supposed to sign a form for your contract? I've asked them to send me out mine.

You have been advised several times now to visit the Smart forums and post your problems there.
    I have privated you and told you that the Smart guys there will sort you out when you do that but they need to know your number to be able to help you.

Asking questions here is not going to get you anywhere.

And Smart normally supply their customers with a modem its part of the service and the user name and password come with the modem.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadbandfeatures.php

Sorry dub,

I only seen your PM a minute ago. I've got the username and password now so I'm going to try and hook it up to a wireless modem I have at home and give them a try.

Thanks for everyones help. I will sign up and if I have any problems still I'll post them on there forums.

Thanks again
    :)

Advertisement