Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Dress shops

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭newtothis

I got mine in white orchid, and was dealing with alex one of the owners, she couldnt have been nicer, and was honest in what was nice and what wasnt, and didnt pushfor a hard sale, i actually went to buy a sample and the cheaper one was much nicer then the more expensive one and she said this to me along with the 2 people i had with me, i also thought it was very private compared to others aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jellybean81

I did the wedding dress hunt last summer first shop I went to was Alexanders the lady was lovely had my in loads of dresses didnt find one I liked though so went hunting again... tried de staffords, town bride and the usual haunts couldnt find what I wanted. Started looking on line found the dress I wanted and looked up who stocked it and it turned out Alexanders and Ciara bridal both did. I weent to both there was a €400 difference between the 2 shops for the same dress. I suppose your paying for powerscourt sc. I went with Alexanders and she had it all along but it was in a much larger size than I am so I hadnt seen it. She was brilliant. Dress is due in the next week or 2 cant wait to see it.

Got BM dress in the Bridal outlet in Baldoyle.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

When I went on my wedding dress hunt, I only dealt with 3 shops:

Aspirations, Dame St, Dublin - Very attentive & helpful, explained what the best styles of dress would be for me with my shape.

Anne Gregory, Newtownmountkennedy - Really friendly and helpful. Made a suggestion I would never have thought of (which I went with in the end). Made me feel like a valued customer as soon as we walked in the door. Dress I picked is about half the cost of a normal wedding dress, but just as special.

Town Bride, Powerscourt Centre, Dublin - Very disappointed with the experience. Felt like they were completely indifferent to whether I bought one of their dresses or not, kind of got the impression it was because of my dress size. This was really disappointing as the only reason I went to them was because a colleague raved about them.

Would highly recommend Anne Gregory or Aspirations, both were incredibly helpful, friendly and full of good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 circleskane

happybee wrote: »
    I ventured into the Oxfam Bridal Shop on Georges street,and I had a great time.I had a lovely woman called Susan look after me.
    :)

This sounds like a great idea. Didn't realise there was places you could go like this. I am recently engaged and hoping to keep the costs minimal for the wedding (hoping autumn next year) OR this year. Can't decide whether to go go go and have it really soon or have it next year but I guess it would be tricky to get a booking so close. Anyway that's another story but yes, this second hand wedding dress thing seems a good money saving option. Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 35 circleskane

oh and I have seen multiple bridal shops in Newry if anyone is up that way. They also have a Debenhams, and the £ price tag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

This sounds like a great idea. Didn't realise there was places you could go like this. I am recently engaged and hoping to keep the costs minimal for the wedding (hoping autumn next year) OR this year. Can't decide whether to go go go and have it really soon or have it next year but I guess it would be tricky to get a booking so close. Anyway that's another story but yes, this second hand wedding dress thing seems a good money saving option. Thanks for sharing

Barnardos Bridal is meant to be well worth a trip also :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Dolorous wrote: »
    Barnardos Bridal is meant to be well worth a trip also :)

Brand new dresses here! All under €500, I was there last month with my sis in law!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sallyq

Hi B2B's - I had a great experience with wedding dresses by amee. Still waiting for my wedding dress. Got my BM dresses , they are fantastic, delighted with them. Have to get them taken in but I knew tht. Now jsut waiting for my wedding dress. Very excited. Overall, they were great deal with it. My wedding dress better me as nice as my BM dresses!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OnionUnion

Hi All, I've been reading the comments and I can only commend those who shared their experiences. I was wondering if anyone could help me please I'm getting married in four months and really starting to panic I have not got a dress (I did but I won't go into it!!) The problem is I'm not able to take time off of work so I'm stuck to out of hours and Saturdays and these are limited. I'm really starting to panic and become dishearten as everywhere seems to have a six months order policy and at this rate I won't have a dress! Can anyone please let me know if they've been in a similar situation?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

OnionUnion wrote: »
    Hi All, I've been reading the comments and I can only commend those who shared their experiences. I was wondering if anyone could help me please I'm getting married in four months and really starting to panic I have not got a dress (I did but I won't go into it!!) The problem is I'm not able to take time off of work so I'm stuck to out of hours and Saturdays and these are limited. I'm really starting to panic and become dishearten as everywhere seems to have a six months order policy and at this rate I won't have a dress! Can anyone please let me know if they've been in a similar situation?!!

Congrats onion!

My sis in law got engaged and set date six months before d wedding..think she got her dress in feb 2011 for wedding in July 2011. She got hers in bridal shop in Castlebar in Mayo. I think alot of the main bridal shops in Dublin or any city centre are very strict on appointments..have you tried bridal shops in other counties you might find their a bit more relaxed time wise.

Best of luck let us know if u get one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 hala

should it be always white ?

can`t we use other colors ?

what do you think !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

hala wrote: »

what do you think !!

I bought my dress on Saturday for my wedding next year and it's not white or ivory. I didn't go out with the intention of getting a coloured dress but I just loved it as soon as I saw it! And I like the idea of having something a bit different. Only thing is now I'm a little bit limited with bridesmaid colours but that's not a big deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

put the bridesmaids in white ;)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My wedding dress was a kind of pale dusky pink colour called 'blush', my BMs wore a bluey-purple but the sort of undertone of it really matched my dress if that makes sense. The funny thing was I saw the dress on a model on the shop's website and myself and my mum were laughing saying 'oh god the state of that' and when we went to the shop I decided to try it on for the laugh but the second it was on I totally fell in love and knew it was the one, and loads of the dresses I saw that I thought I would have picked from looked horrible on me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Does anyone know of the bridal outlet are apt only on a Saturday? I cant see their site on my phone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Misticles wrote: »
    Does anyone know of the bridal outlet are apt only on a Saturday? I cant see their site on my phone :(

I'd say they are, Saturday is their busiest day, I've been in there on a Monday morning and there were overrun with bridal appointments so Saturday is even busier.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hala wrote: »

what do you think !!

my dress had big green and black flowers, sitting on a gold leopard print background

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jewow

Anyone recommend wedding dress shops in the Leinster area outside of Dublin if possible,
    Went to Sharon Hoey shop on saturday last and was very disheartened afterwards, all dresses were size 10-12 which I'm not so the woman was trying to beat me into dresses and it really took away from the style, also she gave no input and was quite abrupt at the end and didn't let me try on my last dress as 'we were out of time' even thought no one else was waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deskgirl

There are five bridal shops in Drogheda, so a huge selection. Wouldn't reccommend Frilly Frocks as they seem to think it's a good idea to buy size 8 sample dresses!! I found Ophelia very good and got my dress there :) Maybe ring up some of them and ensure they have samples in your size??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 sandraryan100

Ok, dont be put off by the look of it too, but do try the Bridal Corner in Glasnevin.They have great dresses and I found my dream dress there, it was on sale and in stock.....Really worth a look....And I also liked this place in Swords, White Orchid- very nice staff- faultless. Like Jewow, didn't have a great experience in Sharon Hoeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Had a great experience in Barnardos in Dun Laoghaire recently :) Had only been to one other shop with anyone else, but had been to two others alone when I was on hols, so while dress shopping is kinda exciting, my heart sank a little at first at going through the whole rigmarole of trying on a load of unsuitable dresses again!

Anyway, they had a great selection, and I got a fantastic designer dress for a fraction of the price, and felt good to be supporting a charity. As the shop is unlike a regular bridal store, I wasn't pushed into trying on anything and didn't feel bad when criticising any gowns that didnt suit me. My mum and bms were there too and they also agreed that it was much easier to be honest a there was no hard sell. In other shops everything I tried on was "fab" when it clearly wasn't, and a lot of time was wasted telling me how dresses could be altered whenever I pointed out that it defo wasn't "the one" (e.g getting a gigantic train taken in, adding straps, different colour etc) - time that could have been spent trying on other ones! In Barnardos once I wanted out of any dress it was grand, and I ended up trying on loads of different styles in the hour. That alone makes it worth a visit in my opinion. Am thrilled with my find and am now wedding crazy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 annabella26

im loving all the suggestions so far ... im in the north west but heading to dublin this weekend to start as i genuinely dont have a notion what i want

only place iv been to down here is graceful occasions in ballygawley in sligo.. cant recommend grainne enough she put no pressure on and forced me to try on dresses that i thought id hate (but actually liked when on) shes only a very small operation but well worth travelling to or even looking up on fb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Does anyone know if you need an appointment for the bridal outlet in Baldoyle? Or do you just turn up?

Thanks

Does anyone know if you need an appointment for the bridal outlet in Baldoyle? Or do you just turn up?

Thanks

Yep you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Acoshla wrote: »
    Yep you do.

Thanks. Appointment made :)

• Advertisement

Thanks. Appointment made :)

Enjoy! They're lovely there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got my dress in the Bridal Outlet and just turned up when they opened on a Saturday! It was the best place for selection and value, and I'd highly recommend it.

lazygal wrote: »
    I got my dress in the Bridal Outlet and just turned up when they opened on a Saturday! It was the best place for selection and value, and I'd highly recommend it.

It depends on how busy they are, I had an appointment on a Monday morning at 10am but had to wait an hour and a bit when I got there because there were so many brides there.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jewow

Went today to Jeutonic in Kilkenny and was very annoyed to learn that the shop hadn't received my email confirming my day/time and therefore they were booked up and I didn't have an appointment :( Very annoying & the girl did nothing to try and accommodate us, I suppose I should have rang them myself but I presumed that once I sent the email it was fine, lesson learned.
    On the plus side I called into another bridal shop and she was so lovely and helpful I made an appointment for her shop nxt week, I think I got 'the feeling' even looking at the dresses and I'm thinking I'll prob find the one there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭McCloskey_A

I would highly recommend frilly frocks in drogheda, Dara has been hugely accommodating time wise with evening appointments and even Saturday evenings! Getting my dress in 2 weeks and it has been a very exciting experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 MarieClaire78

Even thought it looks a bit hmmmmm, I'd recommend the Bridal Corner Glasnevin...Some great deals on dresses there! Also try White Orchid in Swords, didn't buy there but nearly did, they were so helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭fuddy1

Dress has arrived!! its fab, cant wait to start fittings in september....making a few changes to the dress to make it more 'me'. I cant recommend Michelle in Irish Bridal Boutique in Naas enough. She's so nice, really knows what shes doing. I was not having fun dress shopping until I went to her shop.....some people are so unhelpful!! Michelle was great, listened to what I wanted and picked out the exact styles I described.....surprise surprise they didnt suit me at all!! Then Michelle got me to try on dresses she thought would suit me, stuff I would never have picked......and thats how I found 'the dress'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fattybumbum

I am bridesmaid for my cousin and we went to 3 shops yesterday.
    1. Alexanders: No real feedback from staff. Not a nice shop, very open. Poor selection.
    2. Aspirations: The lady here completely paniced my cousin. She is getting married in 10months and said she had left it too late, it was the end of season and that she would not get the dress she wanted and would have to settle for something else. Everyone on the street outside can see what u are trying on.
    3. Berketex: I did not like the look of this shop from the outside but I have to say the girl we had was amazing. She spent about 15minutes chatting about the wedding, about my cousins style, dresses she had tried on and what she liked/disliked about them, looked at photos my cousin had of styles she liked. She picked out lots of styles and was able to pin them a certain way to make them more like what my cousin wanted. No other store said she could alter dresses so much.
    My cousin ended up ordering her dress and is delighted. She had such an awful feeling after aspirations, in Berketex they really put her at ease and didnt put any pressure on her.
    I am engaged myself and she will be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deskgirl

+1 for Berketex - I went looking for bridesmaids dresses here recently and found the staff really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MMUldoon5

Debenham's gets my vote

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

Annabelle Rose- really good, very helpful and a great selection of dresses and lovely accessories. A couple of dresses Im considering

The White Room- Very good, very helpful and again a great variety of dresses, although they are quite pricey, maybe it was just the dresses I tried on but definitely worth a look and again a couple of dresses Im considering

Moreland Bridal- I had a polish girl as my assistant, very helpful, she made great suggestions and knows her stuff around dress making. unfortunately 2 other employees were abrupt and ignorant. The first when I was making the appointment on the phone, but I ignored my gut feeling and went ahead anyhow.The next woman, a middleaged blonde woman, perhaps the owner or a manager, lacked basic manners and was really rude. When I was talking to the assistant and she was giving me further details, this woman demanded loudly in the shop that my assistant finish up the appointment with me as there were other people waiting. This is fine if we had gone over (although her tone was so rude) however I was kept waiting for 20 minutes before anyone could see me so I had only been looking at dresses for about 20 minutes when this happened. It really put me off and I knew I wasnt going to buy there as soon as the older woman starting barking, however if you are going there, the polish assistant is great, wish I could remember her name.

Memories- definitely try here, the dresses are unbelievable value, for a few hundred instead of a grand you can get a gorgeous dress. The dresses are samples so the one you try on is what you buy. The staff are also great at suggesting alterations and changes that can be made if you want something different. I didnt really find what I was looking for however they had a great selection.

The Suite-Initally kept waiting for 15 minutes after appointment time was due to start but these things happen, however they double booked my appointment, tried to blame me except I showed her the email I had received confirming the appointment, there was only 1 girl there on her own on a Saturday, she wasnt particularly bothered about the mix up so I just left and let the other girl get on with it. Definitely the most unprofessional. I wasnt bothered enough by their selection to make another appointment.

Im still on the hunt.....!! but the sight of bad manners and Im gone, Id rather spend my money anywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

missyb wrote: »
    Annabelle Rose- really good, very helpful and a great selection of dresses and lovely accessories. A couple of dresses Im considering

+1, great shop, lovely staff, very helpful. They only do 45 minute appointments on a Saturday so midweek is definitely best for a visit. Have since discovered two friends who got their dream dresses here and had nothing but positive experiences! (It's worth a visit just to try on the Jenny Packham gowns :D)

Ciara Bridal - made the mistake of going in on a Saturday with a sale on. I'm sure if I went in on a quiet day it would have been very different but I don't think I would be bothered in all honesty. Sample dresses were torn, dirty and unappealing. The small shop was over-crowded and the girls trying dresses on had very little privacy. I have heard good reports about the shop but it wasn't for me at all.

Town Bridal - both myself and my mum confirmed by phone that an appointment wouldn't be needed to have a browse but we were told when we went in that there was no point in us being there. The September stock would be sold off and new stock coming in between Sept - Dec so I should just wait and come back in the new year. Not very welcoming at all and very disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bluesmurf

I completely agree with you Classy Lass in Clane Brilliant, I went there last week, looking for my wedding dress, The ladies there are so nice, I was very nervous about going shopping for a wedding dress as I am a size 20/22, but they made we so at ease and I found my dream dress, I am so so happy... You should visit them. their are great.....

hi

jus to pop in and say simones in sligo are having a massive sale for budget brides.... i ended up getting my dress (much to my familys objection as its so far away) for €599.... now it may be a sample but it really is immaculate and as i was going to order it at €1699 you can say im over the moon! had a really bad experience with them for my grad dress so was determined NOT to go there again but my MOH dragged me in one saturday and they made time for me on their busiest day and within trying on first 4 dresses the girl i dealt with had EXACTLY what i was looking for! theyre also doing a massive sale on all bridal accesories an bridesmaids - just may be worth checking out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 summer breezer

kATHY de stafford have the most exquisite dresses in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭TAPA2012

Help! Very worried bride to be! i need to get a dress for my winter wedding next year. I will only be home in july for two weeks to pick my dress and i will only be able to return home to be married a week in advance. Is this madness?

I am a very small petite girl 6-8 and just 5ft. So I know I won't be able to buy off the rack. I was told that I might not have enough time by another friend who knows more about weddings than anyone I know. I was thinking of getting it here but clothes etc are fierce exp in Japan and I don't speak the language to communicate efficiently and then I have the worry of getting it home! any advice? In a huge pickle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Anabel Rose in Dublin is having a one day only sample sale tomorrow 15th November, with up to 70% off sample dresses. Doors open at 10am, with all sample dresses in size 12-14 only.

TAPA2012 wrote: »
    Help! Very worried bride to be! i need to get a dress for my winter wedding next year. I will only be home in july for two weeks to pick my dress and i will only be able to return home to be married a week in advance. Is this madness?

I am a very small petite girl 6-8 and just 5ft. So I know I won't be able to buy off the rack. I was told that I might not have enough time by another friend who knows more about weddings than anyone I know. I was thinking of getting it here but clothes etc are fierce exp in Japan and I don't speak the language to communicate efficiently and then I have the worry of getting it home! any advice? In a huge pickle!

would u chance buying off the rack ie a sample??

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

Hi,

Im arranging a day trying on dresses for my Sister In Law to be for 22nd December, as I am only home for a week at Christmas. Do you think 3 different shops in one day, considereing town (Dublin) is going to be MANIC, is too much?

Also trying to keep them close so thinking Anabel Rose, Town Bride and Memories Bridal. All close enough to Grafton Street. Any other suggestions welcome?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lynnd

I got my dress in the salvage shop in newcastle. The lady told me that the wedding dresses they have were from a bridal shop that closed down. they were selling them for €250. they also have debs dresses that may do for bridesmaid dresses.

Hi,

Im arranging a day trying on dresses for my Sister In Law to be for 22nd December, as I am only home for a week at Christmas. Do you think 3 different shops in one day, considereing town (Dublin) is going to be MANIC, is too much?

Also trying to keep them close so thinking Anabel Rose, Town Bride and Memories Bridal. All close enough to Grafton Street. Any other suggestions welcome?

Thanks!

HI I am getting married next September, I know its alittle bit of a drive But I would highly recommend "Classey Lass" in Clane, I was amazed, I only had to go to one shop and I found my dream dress number 4...... I was over the moon...... Janice is a lady to deal with, she is a lady and was so nice to me as I was so nervous going shopping for a dress, I'm a biker and really dont wear dresses much...... Id 5 dress pictures saved on my computer one which I named dream dress and that was the one in the shop Classey Lass.....

I went across the road to Glamour Dress and I found 3 beautiful dress for my bridesmaid Jan was so nice and Im delighted.. No hassle or fuss

All the best with your shopping

HI I am getting married next September, I know its alittle bit of a drive But I would highly recommend "Classey Lass" in Clane, I was amazed, I only had to go to one shop and I found my dream dress number 4...... I was over the moon...... Janice is a lady to deal with, she is a lady and was so nice to me as I was so nervous going shopping for a dress, I'm a biker and really dont wear dresses much...... Id 5 dress pictures saved on my computer one which I named dream dress and that was the one in the shop Classey Lass.....

I went across the road to Glamour Dress and I found 3 beautiful dress for my bridesmaid Jan was so nice and Im delighted.. No hassle or fuss

TAPA2012 wrote: »

would u chance buying off the rack ie a sample??

Yes most definitely. Would many places allow this?

• Advertisement

:)Theyll soon have their collection online is what they told me last week. They were really nice to me....In relation to getting a dress they said they could sort me out no bother! :) also had a look online and seen truely bridal in naas have a huge collection so maybe you could kill two birds with the one stone and go to both! make your trip worth while!

Advertisement