Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you drink?

Options
  • 21-03-2007 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Steady lads, I'm not asking about your alchohol intake but the isotonic stuff :)

I've just read the advice from a document linked from another thread to drink at least 500 milliliter per hour regardless of the weather which strikes me as a lot. In the current weather I empty one 750 ml bottle over 4.5 hours on a ride that includes a good bit of climbing.

So how much do you drink?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'd usually drink twice as much as you, but mainly because I carry 2 bottles. If it was easier to carry more I would. I do get dehydrated. If it was hot I'd go through it quicker and get water at a pitstop.

You are getting dehydrated if that's all you drink over a 4.5 hour cycle. The base for how much you drink is how much you are losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

copacetic wrote:
    I'd usually drink twice as much as you, but mainly because I carry 2 bottles. If it was easier to carry more I would. I do get dehydrated.

How can you tell when you get dehydrated? I don't get thirsty on a ride or after.
    copacetic wrote:
    If it was hot I'd go through it quicker and get water at a pitstop.

In summer my fluid consumption is at least double. No water stops where I ride (Dublin/Wicklow mountains).
    copacetic wrote:
    You are getting dehydrated if that's all you drink over a 4.5 hour cycle. The base for how much you drink is how much you are losing.

I sweat very little at below 10 degrees temperatures, I'd loose fluids though my lungs no doubt, but that's hard to gage. The advice of at least 500 ml an hour was issued by someone attached to a pro race team, I cycle for fun without a serious fitness aim (but I do love climbing).

I have noticed that I don't pass much urine after a ride, so perhaps that is an indication that I do indeed get dehydrated. Still, strange that such could happen whilst feeling absolutely fine. I'll try and double my fluid intake on my next outing and see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Tales Of Topogr

I'd do a couple of 50 mile spins a week plus club training, each spin I wouldn't empty the 750ml bottle. And I'd start taking swigs after 10 odd miles.

BUT.............I drink about 2-3 litres of water EVERY day, so the body would be well hydrated.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Membrane wrote:
    How can you tell when you get dehydrated? I don't get thirsty on a ride or after.

In summer my fluid consumption is at least double. No water stops where I ride (Dublin/Wicklow mountains).

I sweat very little at below 10 degrees temperatures, I'd loose fluids though my lungs no doubt, but that's hard to gage. The advice of at least 500 ml an hour was issued by someone attached to a pro race team, I cycle for fun without a serious fitness aim (but I do love climbing).

I have noticed that I don't pass much urine after a ride, so perhaps that is an indication that I do indeed get dehydrated. Still, strange that such could happen whilst feeling absolutely fine. I'll try and double my fluid intake on my next outing and see how I get on.

I'm quite sensitive to it and get headaches if I get dehydrated so I can feel it. The way to tell is that your urine should be clear to very pale yellow otherwise you are dehydrated. You may be fine with it, but you should perform and feel better when out. At the very least try to take on board a lot of fluids when you get back

There are always pitstops, I cycle in dublin and wicklow mtns too and if you are out for 4.5 hours you must be passing by towns/pubs/houses, it'd be practically impossible not to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

copacetic wrote:
    The way to tell is that your urine should be clear to very pale yellow otherwise you are dehydrated. You may be fine with it, but you should perform and feel better when out.

Good advice, sounds like I do get dehydrated alright. By "feeling fine" I meant that I don't feel thirsty at all. My performance does taper off more than I think it should, so hopefully I have now discovered the cause.
    copacetic wrote:
    There are always pitstops, I cycle in dublin and wicklow mtns too and if you are out for 4.5 hours you must be passing by towns/pubs/houses, it'd be practically impossible not to..

Alright so, I'll try knocking on the door of Lugalla Lodge and see if they have a pint of Guinness for me :)

Jeebus, with this new found knowledge I'm not looking forward having to carry all the fluid I'm going to need to get to the first stop in Donard when I do the Wicklow 200 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Membrane wrote:
    Jeebus, with this new found knowledge I'm not looking forward having to carry all the fluid I'm going to need to get to the first stop in Donard when I do the Wicklow 200 :(

I think there was a small water-stop at the Sally Gap last year if you needed it. There was a substantial one at Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aside from bottles, consider a camel-back that hikers use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Tales Of Topogr

Tap on wall outside shop in Laragh. You wont dehydrate with two bottles as long as you are well hydrated to start with.
    Plenty of opportunities to refill.
    Wouldn't consider it a problem at all. Just get plenty of hill work done before the event so that you wont be shocked by any hills. Basically only three hills of note, Sally Gap, which you cross over while still fresh and a massive downhill to Laragh. Wicklow Gap, only the middle half to test you, then a few drags until, Slieve Mann. Over that and you're flying.

Advertisement