Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused with choices for BB

Options
  • 21-03-2007 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I am really confused by the amount of offers listed on www.getbroadband.ie for Blanchardstown area. I just really need broadband for researching information in my new place out here. So heres the thing (s):

1. I do not know if i have a working phone line, i do have an eircom box on one of the walls but i dont know if its active.

2. I want to pay not more then €30 per month, i really dont mind the speed of the connection* as long as its broadband.

3. I also need a wireless router no matter what package i use, the eircom box is in the kitchen and i dont want wires running from the kitchen, into the sitting room, down the hall and into my room.

*I was going to go for Irish Broadband with Ripwave for 18.99 per month but after reading some posts here from about a year ago some users saying that it was slower then dial up i got worried, although a few of people now are telling me it is good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

getbroadband.ie doesn't list all of your available options - e.g. Limerick City doesn't have Smart listed and Glin doesn't have Permanet listed; broadband.gov.ie is a far better listing. I'm not sure if that's because getbroadband.ie only promote their advertisers or what, but when I pointed this out to them they gave me some spiel about only listing people that could guarantee a service, and claimed that Smart couldn't guarantee a service :rolleyes: .....whatever about their crib with Smart back then (could this be related to the fact that eircom advertises with them ?) there's no excuse for that stance now and there's no excuse for not listing Permanet - basically the site seems to be miles out of date.

You'll need to check if the phone line is active, to see if you can get DSL. With DSL, though, you won't get under €30 because of eircom's line rental charge which any DSL provider needs to pass on to you; the closest are imagine's 1MB offering at €35, Magnet's 2MB offering at €39, or Smart's 4MB offering at €39.99.

If you can get Chorus/NTL, you can get BB for €19.99/€24.99, with no charge for line rental.

Ripwave is not BB; it's a dial-up/ISDN replacement. While some people have reported reasonably good experience, personal experience with it was dire.

Most reasonable wireless BB offerings will require an external antenna, and while these are "wireless" from your home to the supplier's mast, you'll still need an internal 802.11b/g wireless router in order to connect wirelessly - internally - to your laptop or PC.

In all cases, a wireless router/BB modem will set you back anything from €60 to €140, depending on where you get it. The €140 charge is typical for the supplier-supplied wireless routers, and while there are better/cheaper ones, these ones are good for beginners as the instructions for setting them up are written specifically for these routers.

Advertisement