Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista, initial thoughts

• 21-03-2007 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

My daughter knocked over our PC and that destroyed my existing boot drive. I had "borrowed" my copy of XP from a previous job, and as such had no media for a new install of XP.

I bought from Komplett a Vista Ultimate DVD OEM version for €175, along with a new Harddrive to install it to (a nice Sata II 16MB Cache Western Digital 500GB number).

I have read much in the press recently decrying Vista and the frustration of installing it and getting drivers to work with it, I wanted to share my experience.

I installed it all the drivers for my XFI-Fatality, 7800GTX, DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR expert, Belkin USB Wireless G etc etc and everything worked flawlessly 1st time. I have installed Wow, BF2 and all run great. *Note all drivers installed were vista beta or better drivers from device manufacturers website.

The only small bit of frustration I experienced in the whole process (which took under 2 hours) was that the OEM version of Vista wont install on any drive that is not listed in the BIOS as the primary boot drive, after several attempts to format, partition the new drive I used my laptop to google the error message (Windows cannot find an installable partition on the selected drive) and found a forum post detailing the above issue.

I am far from a windows or microsoft fan, but I have to be amazed at how easy I found this fresh install of Vista. It was easier and less trouble then an XP Install.

I must admit having a laptop to dl the Vista Drivers and a USB key to transfer then helped alot, and using the original driver cd's would probably have been a disaster.

It runs like a dream, tho I do more than meet the requirements with an X4800+ CPU and 4GB of Ram etc, and I have to say so far I like it.

As I had to buy a new OS after my mishap I had a choice of going XP Pro again or Vista for about the same cost, all the press coverage of this made me favour ignoring Vista and going with XP again, but I am glad in the end I took a chance.

Inqui

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Sounds similar to my experience. I prepared fairly well by burning a disc with all of the drivers i'd need to get myself off the ground. The only trouble I had was getting my wireless card working, but that was resolved pretty easily. Like you I have a fairly powerful machine, so performance hasn't been an issue.

One interesting thing that has been happening is that certain programs won't recognise my 120gig IDE HD. It's not a big issue, it's only in there because there was space, I don't actually use it for anything currently.

Have you had much chance to get used to Vista? I've had it installed about three weeks now and i'm really loving how it works. There are many small differences between it and XP.

Also... Check out some of the new accessories... Snipping tool in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Snipping tool eh? What does this do? Some of my large video folders take waaay to long to load in explorer with the icons and such. Maybe they should have thought about permanently indexing a folder until the filesize or properties changes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I've had that problem too, particularly on my external HD.

Don't get too excited about the snipping tool... All it does is dim the whole desktop, and give you access to a clipping type cursor, which you can use to select a portion of the desktop. This portion is then imported into paint where it can be saved as a jpeg (possibly png... i'm not home so I can't check). It's not amazing or anything, but great for pulling specific snapshots without having to prick about in photoshop or the gimp.

I'm still missing my image resizer XP powertool though...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

The only issues I have with Vista at the moment is that DivX isn't fully supported and I get that damn 'Com Surrogate' error message when accessing DivX files. This and that MS haven't provided 64bit drivers yet for the fingerprint reader. Other then these 2 issues, I am very happy with Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Also on my dual boot XP/Vista, using the beta Vista drivers will cause your XP ones to fail as it will update them as well by the looks of it!!! GAH

• Advertisement
Advertisement