Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citywest GC

• 21-03-2007 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

I've looking about for a club to join and stumbled across Citywest. Anyone on here a member or know anything about it? Seems to be fairly reasonably priced and there's no joining fee.

I'm also considering Hollystown.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Its not a great course if you ask me after the changes.

I am not sure if it is correct but did mansfield give all his members once the boot a few years back. I am thinking at least 5 or so.

Find out which course you are joining also

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

as trampas says they butchered the front nine last year and made it quite a bit shorter. It is a bit longer/nicer/more challenging that hollystown though.

I was a member there for a year and it is good for what it gives you, the handicap and a decent enough course to play on.

Trampas, if I remember correctly you don't join one course or the other. You just join citywest, depending on how much you pay you get cheaper/no greenfees on the lakes and championship course also. The comps are 95% on the lakes course no matter how much you pay.

Membership Options (in 2005)

Platinum
    Play The Championship course 7 days a week
    Play The Lakes course 7 days a week
    Cost 1600 euros

Gold
    Play The Championship course 4 days a week (Monday - Thursday)
    Cost 1100 euros

Silver
    Cost 750 euros

Bronze
    7 day membership - Special Green fee rates for playing The Lakes course
    Cost 400 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

I still haven't got round to playing it since the changes... Hadn't heard that it was dis-improved, that's disappointing as it was a very enjoyable track before that. I really liked it.

OP, have you looked at Elm Green in Castleknock? Was a memebr there last year and it was a grand set up. Cheap n cheerful and a nice quirky little course in my opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Thanks for all your help. I'm looking for a course mainly to keep my handicap at to let me play in open comps etc. However, i'm the type of player who likes to head out for 5-9 holes most evenings so having a fully paid membership would suit me best i think.

Do clubs in dublin have league teams at all? I'm not long living here after moving from scotland and i played for my club's team over there. i'd be wuite keen to do similar here (if good enough obviously!).

I've played Elm Green a few times as its just along from my house. I quite like it but found it very short.

Thanks again for all advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Another thing I liked about Elm Green - especially for the evening time - is that after the 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th and 18th (obviously!) holes you're back at the clubhouse again. Very handy for a quick half-dozen or nine in the evening time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Graeme1982 wrote:
    Thanks for all your help. I'm looking for a course mainly to keep my handicap at to let me play in open comps etc. However, i'm the type of player who likes to head out for 5-9 holes most evenings so having a fully paid membership would suit me best i think.

Do clubs in dublin have league teams at all? I'm not long living here after moving from scotland and i played for my club's team over there. i'd be wuite keen to do similar here (if good enough obviously!).

I've played Elm Green a few times as its just along from my house. I quite like it but found it very short.

Thanks again for all advice.

There are various different Inter Club competitions that most clubs would be involved in.

Have to agree with you that Elm Green is pretty short although the new holes they added are decent IMO.

I have been a member of Hollyswtown myself for the past couple of years..decent enough if v.busy on summer weekends although it is ideal for me to sneak out for a game mid week during the summer as I live in the area.

There are various different Inter Club competitions that most clubs would be involved in.

Have to agree with you that Elm Green is pretty short although the new holes they added are decent IMO.

I have been a member of Hollyswtown myself for the past couple of years..decent enough if v.busy on summer weekends although it is ideal for me to sneak out for a game mid week during the summer as I live in the area.

i think elm green or hollystown may be my best option. i live in ashtown so i can nip out for a bit in the evenings etc. Is it possible to pay for just 9 holes or do u have to go for 18? would be great for at nights in the summer.

Also, whenever i've played elm green at weekend's it has been rammed. Is it better in the afternoons or just the same?

if i can get my handicap there i can play in the club comps and the open comps and that'll be fine. Also, one last question, does it have a club championship?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

best i remember both do a 9 hole rate

Graeme1982 wrote:
    i think elm green or hollystown may be my best option. i live in ashtown so i can nip out for a bit in the evenings etc. Is it possible to pay for just 9 holes or do u have to go for 18? would be great for at nights in the summer.

Also, whenever i've played elm green at weekend's it has been rammed. Is it better in the afternoons or just the same?

if i can get my handicap there i can play in the club comps and the open comps and that'll be fine. Also, one last question, does it have a club championship?????

I am not entirely sure of the situation at Elm Green.....but here goes for Hollystown.

They have a reduced rate after a certain time during the summer evenings (think it may be 1800) making sneaking up for a few holes a possibility!! On the weekends I tend to play Hollystown early bells as it is just so much easier.

Paying the reduced rate of membership and getting your GUI handicap would allow you to play on the Open Competition circuit (a plan of mine this year).

Always good to see a fellow Scot on these boards!! Where is Gods country are you from?

Glad to hear there's another golfing scot out there in Dublin too!!

Originally from down near lockerbie. How about yourself?

I'm leaning towards joining Hollystown. The 25pc off green fees at all times sounds good and as you say, it would let me play the open circuit. Is it much hassle getting the three cards in?

Hopefully once i get my handicap here i can play in open comps when i'm back home at my own club too.

• Advertisement

Graeme1982 wrote:
    Glad to hear there's another golfing scot out there in Dublin too!!

Originally from down near lockerbie. How about yourself?

I'm leaning towards joining Hollystown. The 25pc off green fees at all times sounds good and as you say, it would let me play the open circuit. Is it much hassle getting the three cards in?

Hopefully once i get my handicap here i can play in open comps when i'm back home at my own club too.

Originally from Dunoon...been over here for 7 years though!! No probs getting the cards in, you just need to play with a member and get them to sign them.

I am looking forward to the summer evening games already!! If you are looking for a game give me a shout. April is a bit busy but after that it is golf all the way. Have to get down to 5 this year......

yeh, sounds good. i don't know that many people over here who play so i'll maybe give you a shout sometime!

i was of 3 when i left scotland in 2005 but i have barely played in the last year so hopefully i can get back into it this season.

Graeme1982 wrote:
    yeh, sounds good. i don't know that many people over here who play so i'll maybe give you a shout sometime!

i was of 3 when i left scotland in 2005 but i have barely played in the last year so hopefully i can get back into it this season.

I had a four year break from playing when I came over, last year was my first full year playing again got down to 6 ( well 5.5 almost there!!), it is great playing again though.

Advertisement