Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speeding ticket....contest?

Options
  • 21-03-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

before anyone asks, I did search, but didn't get anyting specific.

I got a ticket in the post today for speeding on 2nd March. It wasn't me - I wasn't there - I was at work 20 miles away.

Three questions:

1. There is only a photo of the plate - no pic of the car, or who was driving. Can I request the full photo?

2. I can state on the ticket that it wasn't me, but how can I be forced to name someone else, esp if they don't / won't admit it. Has there been a definitive test case on this? I know that in the UK, you can't be compelled to anymore.

3. Any good solicitors that do/have been known to fight ones like this?

This would be a good topic for a sticky, methinks.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

AFAIK you can get a full photo. I think someone on here got one recently. The computer had read the plate wrong and it was for a totally different car. Don't know if u could identify the person from the pic.

In response to your second question i'm sure you have to say who it is. Otherwise everyone could just say "it wasn't me driving" and get away with it.
    It's your car and your responsibility. Obviously who ever you borrowed the car to has to take the points otherwise i'd imagine they're automatically yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Was the person who borrowed the car insured to drive it. If you contest the ticket then the person who was driving your car could face more charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The idea of the photos is to identify the car - not the driver, although it is possible that both could be identified. A few years ago I requested a photo of one our fleet cars as nobody would step up to the plate. The photo came, but because of sunlight on the windscreen it was impossible to identify the driver. And, oddly enough, that was the last I ever heard of the matter - it must have been one of those fines that went unprocessed.

I'm not sure if they still issue larger photos on request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I remember reading some time back about the french police who used to photograph the entire car and occupants, and post it with the speeding fine.

They had to stop this as it caused marital problems - the passenger in the photo was'nt always the spouse:D
    I'm not joking, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

these are esaily avoidable,

say that a relation/friend who lives in another country was driving beacause they cant penalise them in any way/shape or form

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I've heard that story about other police forces, Gyppo, but there might be a grain of truth to it. You can request the full picture of the car. I did it, and you couldn't really tell who was driving either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The points are not automatically yours if you don't name someone and you can prove it wasn't you, you can't be convicted for speeding and get points. What will happen is a charge under S107 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 will be brought against you for failing to name the driver, this attracts a fine of €800 but no points.

hence, my point, name a driver who doesnt have an irish driving license and there nothing they can do, they just have to drop charges against everyone

They will create a virtual irish licence and store the points until that person gets an irish licence and then the points become active. That's what they do to anyone with a non irish licence.

yes, but why would a foreign resident want a irish licence, like someone living in germany

• Advertisement

timmywex wrote:
    hence, my point, name a driver who doesnt have an irish driving license and there nothing they can do, they just have to drop charges against everyone
    The guards could still charge this imaginary person with driving without insurance if they admitted they were driving the car.

I hear they investigate the claims of a foreign friend driving closely. Some people have been caught out by naming a foreign person.

you give the licence number of your friend from lets say germany, the guards, send a letter requesting the fine, the german throws it in the bin, end of the story, nothing else is done about it because they're in diff jurisdictions

Would they not come back to the registered owner looking for real proof of who was driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

timmywex wrote:
    these are esaily avoidable,

say that a relation/friend who lives in another country was driving beacause they cant penalise them in any way/shape or form

This used to be the way until recently where the owner claimed it was their uncle from Australia over for 2 weeks who was driving the car at the time. The gardai were not going to follow up as it was too much hassel.

These days though if the registered owner of the vehicle cannot prove it was another person driving the car at the time of the offence ie. by naming that person, then the points automatically are given to the registered owner of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

This may sound bizarre, but do they have a cctv system where you work; if they have, then you should be on it for the same time as you were supposedly driving the car.

Get on to your boss about it quick; the tapes could be a 1 week turnaround or a 1 month turnaround.

http://www.saferroads.org/news/current-news.html
    Another Hefty Sentence for Perjury

Despite recent efforts to draw attention to the seriousness of entering a false nomination, another hefty sentence was handed down last week to a Slough man who had tried to pass points on to his mother.

The defendent, 29 year old Satwinder Singh Sahota, had triggered the Gatso camera in Stoke Poges Lane, the road in which he resides but returned to form to Police stating that his 68 year old mother was the driver at the time.

When making follow up enquiries, it was clear that the image captured showed a large man at the wheel.

Mr Sahota pleaded guilty, admitting that he had been driving and falsely nominated his mother. Magistrates sentenced him to three months imprisonment suspended for one year and ordered him to carry out 180 hours unpaid work in the community in the next twelve months.

They also endorsed his driving licence, disqualifying him from driving for 12 months and ordered costs to be paid.

Advertisement