Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of a Peter Longo custom Rifle

Options
  • 21-03-2007 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

A friend has an old rifle and he is wondering what sort of value it has. The only writing on it is " Marholdt Peter Longo ". The stock is quite ornate and there is no id number on the rifle. Tried looking for information on Peter Longo but not a lot available so if anybody knows anything, my friend would be grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Dunno if you have seen these links or not they
    came up first while googleing seem to be about 3000 USD.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976712243.htm
    http://www.stevebarnettfineguns.com/asp-bin/Detail.asp?ID=3687

Never heard of the make myself.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

"Richard Mahrholdt lived from 1878 to 1949. From 1898 to 1918 he was head of Tiroler Waffenfabrik Peterlongo Richard Mahrholdt & Sohn (Tirol gun factory P. R. M. & son) in Innsbruck/Austria. That factory was founded by Johann Peterlongo in Innsbruck in 1854.
    In 1919 he founded R. M. & Sohn, which overtook the Tiroler Waffenfabrik again in 1939. After Richard Mahrholdt's death his son became head of the firm.
    The production of Tiroler Waffenfabrik Peterlongo R. M. & Sohn (according to "Waffenlexikon" of 1957):
    • target rifles
    • rifles for high power cartridges and repeating rifles
    • drillings
    • side-by-side rifles
    • over-and-under rifles with different calibers
    • over-and-under shotguns
    • over-and-under rifle-shotguns
    • scope mounting
    R. Mahrholdt was in good contact with the Suhl gunsmith August Schüler. In his time he was known as a good expert of gunnery. He is the author of the "Waffenlexikon", which was published in 1931 and its second edition in 1937. This book is even today in publication and revision.

Mahrholdt was one of the biggest gun gurus of prewar Germany. He was also a master gunmaker with a safety Drilling of his own design. His greatest legacy was the "Waffen-Lexicon", first published in 1931 followed by editions in 1937. It is still in print, but has been heavily edited so that the good info on older makers has been lost. If you can find the 2nd edition, get it. It is a treasure trove of gun lore, patents and company profiles now lost to posterity.
    Mahrholdt managed the Peterlongo guns works in Innsbrück, Austria from 1898-1918 after which he took over as his own under the name of Tiroler Waffenfabrik Peterlongo, Richard Mahrholdt und Sohn. After Mahrholdt's death in 1947, it was taken over by his son, Herbert, who was also co-author of later editions of Waffen-Lexikon. The Tiroler Waffenfabrik (Tyrolean Arms Factory) closed shop some time in the 1970s."

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mike Funnelly

Thanks for the help.

Bullets, seen them sites myself, but thanks anyway you didn't know that.

Sandy, you gave me a lot of information that i couldn't find, i was just going by the inscription on my friends rifle and it didn't turn up much.

Thanks lads

Advertisement