Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a spare key

Options
  • 21-03-2007 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Hi, just bought an Opel Corsa and only managed to get one key along with it, when i went to get a key cut today the guy asked me was it chiped/coded which i thought it wasnt but im really not sure, its a 98' by the way, can anyone give me a definite answer as i havent been able to get through to the dealer all afternoon:(
    And if it is coded, how do i go about getting a spare?

Thanks,

Kink

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get it off the Dealer from whom you purchased the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

If he had a spare key he would of given it to me already wouldnt he:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

yes a '98 cosra will have a chip in the key. a locksmith will be able to cut a key for you but it will only open doors and will not start the car. will have to be coded in by a dealer using a computer. i work for an opel dealer but not sure of the price, ring one to find out, it may be cheaper to get the key cut by locksmith and then coded by dealer but not sure if all garages will code keys not sold by them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

kinkstr wrote:
    If he had a spare key he would of given it to me already wouldnt he:D

I wouldn't be happy owning a car with another key in existence, which could be in anyones hands, that could simply drive it away.

p.s. You were unwise to buy a car with only 1 key.

I wouldn't be happy owning a car with another key in existence, which could be in anyones hands, that could simply drive it away.

Theres isnt another key in existence. I just wanted to know whether it is coded and if so how i would go about getting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 mendo

Hi kinkstr,

Try Ilac Shopping Centre(near McDonalds) or Blanch Shopping Centre(inside the dry cleaner and shoes repair), if they can do it is only 40 euro.

Depends on the type of key and the type of transponder inside the plastic support of the key.

My friend got one done for 40 euro, for a '97 Polo.

In Blanch I got my transponder identified by the guy in the shop.
    My key couldn't be done but I could see the type of transponder I have dispalyed on the reader (the reader in the shop is a Silca RW2).

Mendo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Even if you got a car with two keys and the seller was that way inclined he could have copied the key already and have a third.

I sell a selection of keys and the machine to re code keys its quite easily done. So buying a car with just one key isn't as unwise as you think.

mendo wrote:
    Hi kinkstr,

Try Ilac Shopping Centre(near McDonalds) or Blanch Shopping Centre(inside the dry cleaner and shoes repair), if they can do it is only 40 euro.

Depends on the type of key and the type of transponder inside the plastic support of the key.

My friend got one done for 40 euro, for a '97 Polo.

In Blanch I got my transponder identified by the guy in the shop.
    My key couldn't be done but I could see the type of transponder I have dispalyed on the reader (the reader in the shop is a Silca RW2).

Mendo

Cheers Mendo, just talked to a friend who believes it may cost up to 80 euros to get a key coded so i hope your estimate is right:)
    In any case ill be getting the dealer to pay for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

kinkstr wrote:
    Theres isnt another key in existence. I just wanted to know whether it is coded and if so how i would go about getting one.

I did the same, baught a Ford Transit November 05 with only one key, got another one cut last year, still havent bothered to get it chipped yet from from the main dealer. I was told by the lock smyth that it is ok for opening doors but not to attempt to use it to start the car as it could throw off the immobiliser settings. (Brown Brothers on Patrick St Dunlaoghaire know their stuff on car keys).

You go out and buy a brand new car if you dont want to run that risk, whats stopping someone giving you two genuine keys and holding a third?? (common with ex hire & fleet cars) anyway the last two vans I got only had one key. I have the current one alarmed, use a strong box and chain the steering.

So what exactly happens if the immobiliser is triggered, how do you un imobilise the car?
    Do you just use a key that is chipped to start the car or do you have to get someone to do it for you.
    Sorry if thats a stupid question:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think most cars will probably start with a key without being coded (correct me if I'm wrong) but might only run a few mins (sometimes called a 'valet' key)

Try a few locksmiths....most of the good ones could provide you with a coded key cheaper than a dealer

Advertisement