Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low water pressure upstairs

Options
  • 21-03-2007 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone come across the problem of relatively low pressure in the upstairs bathroom of a house?

Downstairs is fine, no problems there, but the speed of refill of the toilet cistern and the lameness of the shower (electric) and taps leads me to think that the water is losing a lot of pressure on the way into the bathroom.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

How high is your tank in the attic ,is it on a risen support.

You wont get much flow from a tank if it is only a foot above your shower head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

_Brian_ wrote:
    How high is your tank in the attic ,is it on a risen support.

You wont get much flow from a tank if it is only a foot above your shower head :(
    True. Pressure increases with depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Think of hydro station's ,that will tell you what power water has.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

At the risk of sounding dumb ! can I ask a stupid question ....

Why is the upstairs cold water system fed from a tank & not the mains ??

My shower has to be tank fed, but its powered so no probs, but the cisterns & cold taps are also tank fed.

Is there anything stopping me connecting them to the mains ??

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

OP Generally, the water mains just supplies your kitchen cold tap, and the storage cistern in the attic. I dont believe their is any reason for the taps, upstairs or downstairs, not to be fed from the mains as well, but I think the whole point of the storage tank in the attic is that you will still have a supply of cold water should the water mains get turned off for what ever reason.
    If you have a powered shower, designed to operate from a tank, then it should be just fine, but your taps will have lower pressure upstairs then downstairs because the height of the water in the tank is a key factor. You can try raising your tank higher as someone suggested. Or you could have a plumber check your pipework, perhaos their is an airlock or something restricting the flow of water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement