Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane slates the Irish set up, again

• 21-03-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0321/keaner.html

This time it's a conspiracy against Cork! He's getting more and more ridiculous, like the angry drunkard sitting in the corner of a pub still giving out about how he was short-changed for a pint three months ago.

For your own sake move on Roy, you're doing well at Sunderland, focus on that and stop living in the past.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*yawn* tbqh.

Gave up listening to him a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

this is old news, he's had a pop at the FAI anti-cork thing before.

And he's right anyway.. miller should be in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

This time it's a conspiracy against Cork! He's getting more and more ridiculous, like the angry drunkard sitting in the corner of a pub still giving out about how he was short-changed for a pint three months ago.

For your own sake move on Roy, you're doing well at Sunderland, focus on that and stop living in the past.

Not sure about this Cork conspiracy but I'd agree with pretty much everything else he's said regarding the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A furious Roy Keane signalled his war with the Football Association of Ireland was far from over today - a year after hanging up his boots.

Keane, whose spat with former Ireland manager Mick McCarthy divided the Republic, launched a fresh attack on the governing body five years after the Saipan debacle, this time claiming that there is a conspiracy against Cork-born players.

The Sunderland manager accused the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) chiefs of infecting the national squad with mediocrity while discriminating against Cork players.

He said: 'It definitely doesn't help Liam Miller. If he was (from) further up the country, I'm pretty sure he would be in the Irish squad.

'I don't just say these things. There's no doubt in my mind that Liam Miller being from Cork certainly doesn't help him.'

The Corkonian said his early career was frustrated by Dublin-based officials overlooking him in favour of players from the capital city.

'It happened to me when I was 17, 18 years of age, being in Irish squads with youth teams, not getting a game and lads ahead of you, who are still a year younger than you, who could have played a year later, getting a game,' he said.

'It happened to me at Bray Wanderers when I played France for the Irish under-16s or 17s - lads getting on in front of me who still had another year under age, the following year.

'The lads who got ahead of me that night were from Dublin and the manager that night was from Dublin. I know Steve Staunton's not from Dublin but a lot of the FAI are.'

Asked if Cork-born players had to play better than everybody else to get selected for the national squad, he replied: 'You've hit the nail on the head. Without a doubt.'

At a charity fundraising launch for Irish Guidedogs for the Blind, the former Nottingham Forest, Manchester United and Celtic star also criticised his former international team-mates.

Ahead of this weekend's European Championship qualifier, Keane suggested several senior members of the side were only getting picked by manager Steve Staunton because of their media image.

He explained: 'There's a fine line between loyalty and stupidity. A very fine line. You've got to be loyal to lads who've done okay, but once you keep playing them on the reputation they've built up through the media or because they do lots of interviews, then it's wrong - it's 100% wrong.

'Come Saturday against Wales the senior players - four or five of them - have to step up to the plate. But they've been asked before.

'That's why I don't get bogged down by saying we've got world-class players with Ireland. You look at some of our lads at the bigger clubs...none of these players at this moment in time are setting the world alight at their respective clubs.'

Keane berated the team for celebrating after beating San Marino and advised them to take a lesson from Ireland's other national sports sides following their recent successes.

'The FAI, the soccer, can learn a lot from the rugby lads, even the cricket lads. If you go into something believing you're going to get there, then there's a good chance you'll get there,' he said.

'If you think you're not going to get there I guarantee you won't get there. And that definitely comes from the top, the FAI.

'If you cut corners, that gets through to the teams. If you do things half-measured, you're not going to get nowhere.'

He continued: 'You look at the rugby lads, they don't seem to be resting on their laurels, they don't seem to be patting each other on the back for winning Triple Crowns.

'They want to be winning Grand Slams, they want to be going to the World Cup and giving it 100%.'

On the FAI, he added: 'If you're used to mediocre, that will get through to the players. A "that'll do" attitude has been going on far too long. That'll do the Irish fans. That'll do us. But I think the Irish fans are getting a bit fed up with it.'

I look forward to the day he's managing Ireland. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

[thread=2055068847]a bit late[/thread]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

As I said elsewhere he should keep his nose out of matters that don't concern him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

That is a serious accusation and I think he would need some pretty strong evidence to back it up. He doesnt seem to have that(asides from himself the lord god and saviour of football, the mighty Roy Keane being left on the bench as a kid:rolleyes: ) so I think he should keep his mouth shut.

P.S. Liam Miller should be in the squad but he is being left out due to that planks incompetence and not where he is from and the FAI is a joke but their are about 2 million Irish people who could tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

MErged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

eirebhoy wrote:

I wonder would he do a better job than Stan ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

JAYS GO ON ROY LASH IT INTO THEM ahem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

eirebhoy wrote:

so do I but it will be probably many years down the road, when he is finished managing Man United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He's 100% right. As usual.

The way to get ahead under the current set-up is to have connections. It's not what you know but who you know.

He's right too about the half-arsed attitude the soccer team possesses.

Well said, Keano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It had to be said and someone said it. We all give out about FAI on here but when a retired ex-international does it we have a go? I dunno if he's right with the anti-Cork thing, but who knows.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Miller should not be in the squad. He isnt good enough. Tbh I have no idea what Keane is blathering about when Miller has been on the bench for Sunderland more often than not lately so Keane isnt even picking him!

Concentrate on Sundireland there Keano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

thebaz wrote:
    I wonder would he do a better job than Stan ? :D

i could do better than stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Roy, we know the FAI are muppets. Don't drag yourself down to their level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He's learned alot from fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ridden rock Solid :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kingp35 wrote:
    Miller should not be in the squad. He isnt good enough. Tbh I have no idea what Keane is blathering about when Miller has been on the bench for Sunderland more often than not lately so Keane isnt even picking him!

Keane is anti-Cork!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Gustavo said

"As I said elsewhere he should keep his nose out of matters that don't concern him."

As an Irishman I would think that this matter concerns him as much as any other Irishman. He has right to voice his opinion though they may not be very helpful

As regards Cork conspiracy though I'm not so sure. Aren't Stephen Irealnd and Colin Doyle from Cork? But surely Miller deserves to be in ahead of Darren Gibson.

I have very little time for Staunton he appears incapable of galvanising a team of largely Prem players, look what Sanchez has done with Nortern Ireland.
    Can't believe he brought that guy Folan in ahead of Alan Lee & David Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

KEANO....KEANO....KEANO...!!!!!!!

Well said ya langer....I know what you mean

sure when we were younger dem feckin langers from dooblin all got picked for the International TKD championships ahead of all us cork biys and we picked up a lot more trophies at the nationals...

feckin conspiracy...!!!!!!:mad:

Bellamy is gonna score on Sat and the Welsh are gonna get Stan de sack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"All credit tooo holding a grudge"

I agree with everything he's said about the setup in the FAI, it'd be hard not to, but saying that Miller is not getting picked because he's from Cork? That's just nonsense.

It'll be interesting to see what Keane's attitude will be towards his squad players getting picked for international further into his managerial career especially when he has to deal with things like fixture congestion and injuries.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason for his latest rant is a little bit of ego massaging for Miller. I think he's trying to instill a little bit of victim complex to give him that bit of extra fight and "I'll show them them" attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He was right about Miller and also the form of some of the senior players.

I agree with the poster who said he's probably just shielding Miller because the anti Cork bias didn't exactly hold Irwin and Keane himself back did it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As has been said, it's hard to argue with any of his points. Players being picked purely because of who they are for a start. How many times has Robbie Keane been slated on here for his Ireland performances? He's been below par an awful lot, yet he is gurenteed a starting spot if fit. what sort of way is that to have your team? They know that once they turn up, they play, no pressure to actually perform as well as they can. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

That's true Ste. Ditto Duffer and O'Shea. How many times under Staunton have the senior players failed to deliver? I leave Shay Given out of this, because he has saved us so many times.

Would people leave Duff alone. He gives his all and is usually better than most of his teammates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

gustavo wrote:
    As I said elsewhere he should keep his nose out of matters that don't concern him.

It concerns him just as much as you or anyone else from Ireland. If he feels that his national team is not giving 100% or is not being handled in the right manner, if its his honest opinoin then he has every right to voice that opinoin. There's not enough people like Roy keane out there in my opinoin.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Would people leave Duff alone. He gives his all and is usually better than most of his teammates.

Yeah right. If these guys like Duff & O'Shea were playing for Brazil all there familys would have been kidnapped by now for not giving enough effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

tdv wrote:
    Yeah right. If these guys like Duff & O'Shea were playing for Brazil all there familys would have been kidnapped by now for not giving enough effort.

I blame Mourinho. Duff's game to my eye anyway has changed in his time at Chelsea, he doesn't seem as adventurous, more conservative. He seems to go backwards to hold possession where before he would have bombed forward and taken a gamble. And Roeder sticking him in left back doesn't help him get his game back.

O'Shea has no excuse. they guy doesn't look like he ever wants to achieve anything, he's too content and laid back.

• Advertisement

tdv wrote:
    Ah get out of that. Duffer is one of our most dedicated and determined players.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

For those of you who didn't hear it:
    http://www.newstalk106.ie/podcasts/library/soccer/keane.mp3

I think he did himself a bit of damage with his comments to be honest. I'd have had more time for him before, but listening to this I thought he was pretty unfair to the squad as a whole. Whatever about going off on one about the FAI or the manager, slating players like that is out of order in my book.

I hope it has the effect of "f**k you Keano" and makes the players play like they've a point to prove.

The Cork thing is pretty unbelievable, and was a silly thing to say when he cannot back it up in the slightest. It was funny - was like the journalists just let him go on and on, and the more he said, the sillier it got. I bet he was kicking himself after saying some of the things he did.

Anytime I hear one of his rants from now on, I'll probably be inclined to just think to myself "there goes Keano again" - hard to take him seriously now. Shame, because I agree with a huge amount of what he says regarding the FAI and the Ireland setup.

PauloMN wrote:

I hope it has the effect of "f**k you Keano" and makes the players play like they've a point to prove.

I wonder would it be a bit of psychology. Would Keane have said such a thing to motivate them further (or rather to make up for Staunton's inability to motivate them)?
    PauloMN wrote:
    The Cork thing is pretty unbelievable, and was a silly thing to say when he cannot back it up in the slightest. It was funny - was like the journalists just let him go on and on, and the more he said, the sillier it got. I bet he was kicking himself after saying some of the things he did.

meh.... there is almost certainly a Dublin bias at the lower level. Not necessarily anti-cork, but the rest of the country in general seems to be more an afterthought in terms of resources etc. I'm inclined to forgive his lack of tact on this one.

PauloMN wrote:
    Anytime I hear one of his rants from now on, I'll probably be inclined to just think to myself "there goes Keano again" - hard to take him seriously now. Shame, because I agree with a huge amount of what he says regarding the FAI and the Ireland setup.

i wouldn't dismiss him as a crack so readily, not after the momentum he's built up at Sunderland. I would wait and see what the situation is a few years from now before making such a generalisation about his character, he's still just out of "psycho player phase" and has yet to fully immerse in "tactful manager phase" (which some managers never seem to enter into it has to be said)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

listened to the whole thing there..

you can't argue with what he's saying. he's had a pop at finnan, keane, duff, o'shea, given and rightly so imo.

they ARE our senior players, but they've failed to take over from the roy keane's and kenny cunningham's who've went before them.

there's no doubting their ability as footballers, but as leaders, who can spark Ireland or be heard above everyone else?

Keane is basically saying things are too easy, too cosy and players are too relaxed - and he's right. They're not afraid of staunton and the likes of duff, keane, o'shea etc.. KNOW they'll be in the first team if fit.

Even in press conferences, Roy Keane dominates the room and controls everything. No smiles, no jokes from reporters - Roy Keane makes the jokes and pull the strings.

That natural control is what Stan and the current senior players don't have.

I blame Mourinho. Duff's game to my eye anyway has changed in his time at Chelsea, he doesn't seem as adventurous, more conservative. He seems to go backwards to hold possession where before he would have bombed forward and taken a gamble. And Roeder sticking him in left back doesn't help him get his game back.

O'Shea has no excuse. they guy doesn't look like he ever wants to achieve anything, he's too content and laid back.
    Ok, so you're saying the fact that Duff is being played out of position (for one game) is affecting his game. However, JOSH has no excuse? He always plays in the one position doesn't he, oh wait.....

PauloMN wrote:
    I think he did himself a bit of damage with his comments to be honest. I'd have had more time for him before, but listening to this I thought he was pretty unfair to the squad as a whole. Whatever about going off on one about the FAI or the manager, slating players like that is out of order in my book
    Why has he done himself damage for criticising the team for not performing as of late? Unless I've missed something, they haven't exactly been setting the world on fire with their performances.

And going with your point of him damaging himself. What about Giles, Brady, Dunphy, Lawrenson, Haughton, Cascarino, Whelan? Have their reputations been damaged too?

BaZmO* wrote:
    Ok, so you're saying the fact that Duff is being played out of position (for one game) is affecting his game.

would anyone have selected Duffer as a left back 5 years ago? I wouldn't have. It was a part of his game never really demanded from him. I'm just pointing out that the fact he was even considered for playing a defensive position now has shown how his game has changed over the past few years.
    However, JOSH has no excuse? He always plays in the one position doesn't he, oh wait.....

difference between JOSH and Duff, Duffer has ONE position that he at least looks convincing in. Since after that first season when he broke into the UTd. Squad Josh has NEVER looked like he actually wanted to cement a proper place. he just has this lazy take it as it comes attitude. Duffer at elast plays like he wants to be a winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Right, thats it, i've had enough of this O'Shea bashing.

He scored the winner at Anfield in a smash and grab like we haven't seen since the FA Cup final of 2005!

The WINNER at ANFIELD! that guy can do no wrong anymore*!

*Coincidently(sp) - since that game, when he has played he has not stank the pitch up like he normally did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Keano runs the risk of going a bit Graeme Sounness on us i reckon. Hes getting too annoyed and too temperamental and I wonder if hes spending too much time and energy on this. It shows he only wants the best for Ireland and thats great but sure - he cant win this one. The same scenario is taking place across the water with the SFA being full of muppets - but who can do anything about it?

Concentrate on your career Keanus!

(anyone seen I-Keano? god how i laugh now when i hear about the irish training camp on radio)

odonnell wrote:
    Keano runs the risk of going a bit Graeme Sounness on us i reckon. Hes getting too annoyed and too temperamental and I wonder if hes spending too much time and energy on this.
    "Getting" too temperamental? He was alwasy temperamental, if anything he's calming down as he's getting older. It just amazes me that so much is made of his comments when all they do is just reflect what the majority of fans are feeling anyway. He was asked some questions and he answered them honestly, with maybe a touch of spin (Cork bias comments). If you asked anybody the same questions about are the senior players stepping up to the plate, does Stan have it sussed when it comes to team selection, and have our performances since Stan took over been lacklustre you'd get the same answers that Keane gave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Before we all get carried away I think we should remember that maybe this wasn't eactly what Roy Keane said.

Paper never refused ink.

hawker wrote:
    Before we all get carried away I think we should remember that maybe this wasn't eactly what Roy Keane said.

Paper never refused ink.
    http://www.newstalk106.ie/podcasts/library/soccer/keane.mp3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

everything Keane said is true - very hard to fault him.

even with regard to the Miller/Cork comments - Keane has been involved in the Irish setup as a player for a lot longer than all of us, i'm pretty sure his comments are based on real examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Just like anyone here, he is perfectly entitled to express his opinion. He speaks the truth - so many of the one time golden boys of our international team are not preforming. Why? Personally I think they are too cosy in the knowledge that they are the first names on the team sheet. For example, I've never been a fan of Robbie Keane, but in the past he has done the job, not lately though, yet he plays ever match despite not contributing a great deal. Some harsh criticism from the manager and maybe drop some of the non-performers for a game against the 'lesser' opponents would have seemed like the tough but prudent choice to hopefully shock them out of their comfort zones.

I'd like to think that Keane is giving these guys a broadside, not out of malice, but in an attempt to get them playing again.

If Stan dropped the likes of Keane, Duff, Kilbane for the any games is would be crucifed in the press if we lost.

BaZmO* wrote:
    If Stan dropped the likes of Keane, Duff, Kilbane for the any games is would be crucifed in the press if we lost.

Well he's going to get crucifed in the press no matter who he losses with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

TBH i think this was mainly Roy using reverse physcology for the benefit of His own players.

Three of his players (murphy ,connolly and miller) didn't get picked for the irish squad , instead of them being down in the dumps , keane basically told them through the media that thier good enough its just stan hasnt a clue.

Meaning go on lads and kick sunderland to the premiership and show stan what he's missing. Similiar type of thing ferguson does all the time at Utd.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He is using his comments to motivate both Miller and Connolly for the league run in... Come on lads I would have thought this would be blatantly obvious to you.

Then again some people are so blind, they can't look past their hatred for the man to see what he's doing.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    He is using his comments to motivate both Miller and Connolly for the league run in... Come on lads I would have thought this would be blatantly obvious to you.
    I actaully said that earlier on in the thread...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

BaZmO* wrote:
    I actaully said that earlier on in the thread...
    Sorry BaZ, only read the first few replies when I post that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Didn't realise he could get crucified anymore after the performances of late.

What if he brought these players in and they gave their all and performed?
    I'm sick to death of managers being afraid to make managerial decesions because the big bad media might get them.
    They are paid to make these decesions and live with the consequences if they are wrong. Besides it's not like it can get much worse.

Good interview:
    http://audio.todayfm.com/files/roypart2.wma

You might have to try it a few times if it says "Service unavailable".

• Advertisement
Advertisement