Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloy opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've always thought that aftermarket alloys look a bit tacky. How about the ones that were standard on the V6 4motion? Also, I wouldn't go above 16"s if you drive in any way quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anan1 wrote:
    I wouldn't go above 16"s
    Yes, 17" alloys may seriously compromise ride quality.

If I had to choose between those three, I'd go with the RS8.

The Wolfrace wheels look tacky IMO and wouldn't suit a family saloon type of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

When going 17s on a passat you can fit 225/45 17. Some places fit 215/45 on wheel and tyre packages as they are cheaper but this changes the side wall and rolling radius. If your coming from a 15in rim with 195/65 15 the 225/45 17 will keep everything ie gearing speedo etc in perfect order due to 0% radius change.

[ 225/45 17 ] This size will not seriously compromise ride quality as you still have a fair bit of tyre between the rim and the road for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

VeVeX wrote:
    [ 225/45 17 ] This size will not seriously compromise ride quality as you still have a fair bit of tyre between the rim and the road for comfort.
    It will, your sidewall height will be going down from 127mm to 101mm. More importantly, damage from potholes & ramps will become much more likely. The net result will be a car that is less comfortable and more nerve-wracking to drive fast on poorly-surfaced roads.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hmm!! I think the third ones are nice! What colour is the car?!

Ive gone from 195/55/r16 to 215/45/r17. Ive noticed a drop in speed/acceleration. Im hoping to change again to 235/40/r17, which should hopefully balance everything out a little better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Anan1 wrote:
    It will, your sidewall height will be going down from 127mm to 101mm. More importantly, damage from potholes & ramps will become much more likely. The net result will be a car that is less comfortable and more nerve-wracking to drive fast on poorly-surfaced roads.

I have changed from 195/65 15 to 225/45 17 on my own car. The ride is slightly tougher but not much. Of course its more of a risk with potholes but if you dont drive like a moron and buy good wheels and tyres damage will become alot less likely.

Its not like going from a 70 profile 13in tyre to 205/40 17 on the likes of a corsa or polo. I drive my car daily and I can honestly say im not a nervous wreck pondering the next incident with a pothole. Drive with a bit of intelligence and attention and you will be surprised how easy it is to keep rims in good condition.

Many cars are coming OE with this tyre size because its seen as a good compromise between comfort ,performance and look.
    antodeco wrote:

Ive gone from 195/55/r16 to 215/45/r17. Ive noticed a drop in speed/acceleration. Im hoping to change again to 235/40/r17, which should hopefully balance everything out a little better.

Id imagine you'll go slower with the 235/40. there's literally no difference in the radius of that tyre but you'll have greater rolling resistance because of the increased width. What sort of a car do you have?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

thats very true. Saying that, Ive crunched the suspension going through a few pot holes (1000km a week driving you're bound to hit a few). I know that anything below 45 can make u feel everything, but as u said, once u have a decent tyre u should be grand. Saying that, ive sh!tty tyres, but they are an extremley tough compound, so I think thats my saving grace!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

antodeco wrote:

Its silver, so should suit i'd say.

Im not goin to be driving like a lunatic, so im not concerned about 'high speed' driving. I've hit a fair few potholes with my 15" katanas and there isnt any damage. A mate of mine has 17"s on an astra and has hit potholes too without problems.

I do like the first ones alright though..... got a price of €950 with tyres for em in KK :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

You wouldn't think of RS6's I know they're quite common now but they look well and are easy to clean. The RS8s look tacky IMO as they've so much metal and very little gaps between the spokes, the Tuscan's are tacky as **** and the last wheel will be a nightmare to keep clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Just remember too that replica & after market alloys normally do no thave the same level of build quality as OEM alloy wheels. Hae ou thought about tracking down a 2nd hand set of OEM VW/Audi wheels in Ireland (or the UK)? It might be a better proposition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think VAG cars only look right with VAG alloys for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Have to say out of the 3 i would choose the 2nd Wolfrace ones

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Of those 3 i'd go with the first one. suits the slab-sided lines of the Passat best.

Advertisement