Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English is a joke

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Naikon, you call History a joke because it involves nothing but learning stuff off, now you're calling English a joke because you don't have to learn stuff off for 50% of it?

Please stop referring to the LC and LC subjects as "a joke".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Don't agree that it's a bluffer's subject at all. If you are naturally good at the language, you will do well in Paper One. Paper Two requires in depth study of at least 5 poets, plus 3 comparative texts, and a single text. Nothing easy about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Paper Two requires in depth study of at least 5 poets
    Or you could just study one. Not that I'd recommend it or condone such a daring approach...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Steve01 wrote:
    Or you could just study one. Not that I'd recommend it or condone such a daring approach...

I will probably only study the 4:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curious girl

Naikon wrote:
    Dunno bout everybody else, but I got my English mock back yesterday expecting the worst and got a C2 in hons.
    Not the best subject grade I suppose but I really dont care about English.
    Now I haven't done any real work in English as of yet, and this leads me to believe this subject is a "bluffers" subject.

Opinions?:D

listen mate if yout think english is a bluffers subject you're off the radar man and that is the rock you'll perish on!
    Take it from one who knows!
    Curious Girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Naikon wrote:
    I will probably only study the 4

If I even manage to get up to doing 4 I'd be some super-worker(in my own ees of course:p). I looked at a poem at home for the first ever time today, just now in fact. Sailing to Byzantium. And cos of my woeful mock score, I'm really just gonna put in quite a lot more work into it, especially poetry, cos its my weakest area on the exam. Although, for the Mocks, I'm sure my essay brought me down so much, it was awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

What worries me the most isn't the poets, or the comparative texts as we can learn them but it's the actual 100 mark composition itself! Us candidates only have that one exam, that one opportunity to shine in the eyes of the corrector! We can all have our bad days - the days where our essays just don't turn out as planned or perhaps we're presented with unfavourable essay titles. My essays are either A worthy or D worthy and it's that massive gap between the two that scares the crap out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

That's my favourite part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Hopkirk wrote:
    So I couldn't go

Tom strolled down the expansive hallway. He paused briefly to admire a framed picture which hung on the salmon painted wall. *Input image description*, Rattle on with the story I want to write....

Our teacher read a sample essay where they had based the story on a pic of a kid in frieman's uniform.. the essay sounded like it was prepared. She had set it about a fireman who was killed in 9/11, and the picture was of him as a child dressing up, he'd always wanted to be a fireman. I think that's quite creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Just a quick question, and i know its kinda hard to judge from person to person....

How long should the poetry and comprehenson essays be on average?

I wrote just over 3 pages on poetry in my mocks and got a B2 in it. I know the old cliche "its quality, not quantity" but how much do you guts write??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

for me poetry i usually average around 4-5 pages. as regards my essay it varies depending on the topic and the format required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah, usually about 4 pages for the poetry. For the essay, I usually do the short story which can be anything between 5 or 6 pages to 10 pages. I usually have a good bit of dialogue though with loads of spaces between the narrative and the dialogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Yeah, usually about 4 pages for the poetry. For the essay, I usually do the short story which can be anything between 5 or 6 pages to 10 pages. I usually have a good bit of dialogue though with loads of spaces between the narrative and the dialogue.

I'm a dialogue lover myself.... It really does seem to add length, reckon my short story for the pre (same as I used in the JC and pre-JC) was 6/7 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

md99 wrote:
    I'm a dialogue lover myself.... It really does seem to add length, reckon my short story for the pre (same as I used in the JC and pre-JC) was 6/7 pages.
    Yeah. I also have a habit of having two plots that tie neatly together at the end of the story. And my endings're always fairly dramatic ranging from someone having an abortion to a prison inmate being killed by a bloke who thought he killed his wife, while the real person who did it just entered the prison at that stage. I also had a 24 style one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

lol, I never write tons of pages. I always wonder what the hell people were doing when they write over 20 pages for English 1 and only get a low B or a C....

My essays are 5 pages max. I don't really like using dialogue, my best stories are really abstract, but if I can't think of a killer abstract concept(happened me in my mocks), I usually write a really average story.

I hate writing anything but the story, you're just so much more free and can be so much more creative with the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I hate writing anything but the story, you're just so much more free and can be so much more creative with the story.

Me too. And I also don't like using dialogue in my stories, it just doesn't work for me. My essays generally average five pages, we were told that's about normal. How someone would have time to write ten pages of good English I just don't know

Advertisement