Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer question

• 21-03-2007 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know...

Is it possible to plug a portable hard drive into the the computers in UCD like you would a usb key? Tried plugging my mp3 player in before which should run without any installation and it told me I didn't have the authority to install new devices or something?

Got some large files I'd like to download.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Does anybody know...

Is it possible to plug a portable hard drive into the the computers in UCD like you would a usb key? Tried plugging my mp3 player in before which should run without any installation and it told me I didn't have the authority to install new devices or something?

Got some large files I'd like to download.

If you have set up your mp3 player as a portable storage device there should be no problems. The " you dont have rights to install new devices" happens to me the odd time even with usb keys. Sometimes you just remove and re-attach it or sometimes wait on a different pc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Any device which uses the so-called USB Mass Storage Driver should work with no problems at all. I have a Maxtor external hard disk and a Cowon iAudio player and both have worked without problems on the UCD XP machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hmmm, you can partition off a section for use as a hard drive on my mp3 player but I didn't bother. It comes up as an mtp device in Windows, although I think it'll only recognise it if the computer has Windows Media Player 10 or better, or if you're using Vista.

Ok so I'll bring my hard drive in and I'll be able to download straight to it? No worries about having to save the file to a temp directory first and thus going over the 60mb or so of storage space I have on the computer itself?

it used to be possible to write to the C:\ drive - just it wouldn't actually display it in my computer - if you need temp space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Red Alert wrote:
    it used to be possible to write to the C:\ drive - just it wouldn't actually display it in my computer - if you need temp space
    You still can use the temp folders or desktop for temporary storage - just don't expect it still to be there if you reboot. The D:\ drive is fine too.

Your best bet is to save it to the desktop, and then put it on your hdd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

i think it's possible to get a very basic linux operating system on mp3 players(etc), that can be booted on PCs.google has all the answers for this. download it and put on the mp3player, restart the computer, press F12, plug in your mp3player, and choose to boot Os from removable disk(drive F or somethin) and then learn the commands and you'll prob be able to copy the file to the desktop folder or wherever, restart again into windows and roberts your mother's brother!

:cool:

only that might not be allowed...:rolleyes:

DtotheK wrote:
    i think it's possible to get a very basic linux operating system on mp3 players(etc), that can be booted on PCs.google has all the answers for this. download it and put on the mp3player, restart the computer, press F12, plug in your mp3player, and choose to boot Os from removable disk(drive F or somethin) and then learn the commands and you'll prob be able to copy the file to the desktop folder or wherever, restart again into windows and roberts your mother's brother!

:cool:

only that might not be allowed...:rolleyes:
    Well its a bit over the top in fairness...

that seems quite roundabout for what you're trying to do.

in fact they have locked out the ability to boot from cdrom (and i suspect USB too), and protected it with a BIOS password. only way to reset it is open the machine, and i think a laptop just might be a tad easier than that :D

Red Alert wrote:
    in fact they have locked out the ability to boot from cdrom (and i suspect USB too), and protected it with a BIOS password.
    Not on all machines ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

Blowfish wrote:
    Well its a bit over the top in fairness...
    ...:rolleyes: if all else failed
    Red Alert wrote:
    in fact they have locked out the ability to boot from cdrom (and i suspect USB too), and protected it with a BIOS password. only way to reset it is open the machine, and i think a laptop just might be a tad easier than that :D

Oh right.. i didn't know that, i don't go to UCD but plan to next yr.. if all goes to plan

• Advertisement
Advertisement