Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Purchasing a car....Focus

Options
  • 21-03-2007 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking out for a car at the moment and am pretty close to buying a 2000 Focus 1.8 TDi (not sure about the specifics but it is definetly a TD) LX.
    Theres about 111k miles on the clock, NCT till May 2008, recently serviced but will need timing belt replacement in next 10k miles.
    I'll probably be doing a fair bit of work related driving in it but dont know for sure how much yet exactly. I'll be getting it for around €5050.
    Anyone have any opinions on this?

Kippy

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not a lot of cash really, but it's a higher mileage motor with the older diesel lump. Engine isn't very lively and isn't that refined either.

It should be ok, but check it over fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've had a mate of mine check it out-he knows a bit about cars in general and he couldnt find anything wrong with it. I've also done a cartell check and nothing dodgy there either.
    It seems to have a bit more bite than the 1.4 petrols Fiesta I've been driving for the past while so that aint really too big an issue.
    Any feedback appreciated, thanks for that Henry....
    Jippy

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could try and go up to the North or over to the UK and pick up the 1.8 TDCi Focus which has 115bhp. Much more power and economy than the old 1.8 TDDi unit mostly sold here in Ireland. UK cars are generally better equipped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

You won't pick up a TDCi anywhere here, the north, or in the UK for €5.

The TDDI is also probably the more reliable of the two. It has less to go wrong, and has a solid flywheel. One thing that seems to die in the TDDI is the fuel pump. It is a drive by wire mechanical pump, and the electrics in them sometimes die without cause or warning. It is highly unlikely though, and I know one taxi driver in dublin put up 250k on a TDDI before buying a mondeo.

The TDDI a bit noisy, but should be economical, and with 90bhp is no slower than your average golf or corolla. In real power I'd say it sits close to the 1.6 Focus petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote:
    You won't pick up a TDCi anywhere here, the north, or in the UK for €5.

The TDCi was available from late 2001 in the UK in the facelifted Focus. A guy I know at work bought a 2001 hatchback Ghia TDCi up North last year for €8k private including VRT. So it maybe possible to get a 6 year old Mk I Focus TDCi close to the OP's budget in the UK. Might require a bit of patience though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cheers guys,
    Patience and time are both things I am short on.
    I think the car will suit my needs. It's definetly been looked after and hopefully relatively economical to keep on the road.
    The higher BHP would also make a fairly big difference to my insurance as well so the 90BHP should be grand.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    The TDCi was available from late 2001 in the UK in the facelifted Focus. A guy I know at work bought a 2001 hatchback Ghia TDCi up North last year for €8k private including VRT. So it maybe possible to get a 6 year old Mk I Focus TDCi close to the OP's budget in the UK. Might require a bit of patience though.

It could probably be done alright!

I don't think there is any difference in insuring a 115bhp and a 90bhp car.

Advertisement