Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on new courses

Options
  • 21-03-2007 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

I am half way through my degree course,i started it in sep 2005 (first time running) and i just have one or two questions which i wouldnt mind peoples opinions on...

1: Do ye think lecturers are more lenient as regards marking exam papers so as to get a good overall pass rate on a new course, being the nature of I.T degrees these days?

2: It feels like "aggh shur get them through they will get there degree and then possibly feck all after that, like so they are covering there own positions as lecturers.

Has anyone else ever given thought to these situations when studying or is it just because it is a new course...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Timmy_d wrote:
    1: Do ye think lecturers are more lenient as regards marking exam papers so as to get a good overall pass rate on a new course, being the nature of I.T degrees these days?

Absolutely not. There are multiple layers of bureaucracy, sorry checks, to ensure this doesn't happen. If a new course got a reputation as easy to pass, how do you think employers would regard it? If marks for a certain course didn't follow a normal distribution, there would be questions asked, especially with delegated authority where Institutes of Technology can award their own qualifications. The reputation of an IT would be at stake.
    Timmy_d wrote:
    2: It feels like "aggh shur get them through they will get there degree and then possibly feck all after that, like so they are covering there own positions as lecturers.

Why would lecturers need to cover their own positions? The vast majority of them are in well, paid, full-time, permanent positions where they cannot be fired. What have they got to justify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

Hmmm maybe its just me then, thanks for the opimion

Advertisement