Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most expensive game you've bought?

Options
  • 21-03-2007 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

What's the most expensive console or PC game you've bought (or had bought for you)? Was it some crazy gold-plated special edition? Or was it just a neo-geo game?

Mine was Super Street Fighter II for the SNES. 75 punts back in the day!!

Your most expensive game (in euro) 74 votes

< 20
    0%
    < 30
    1%
    ShowUsYourXbox 1 vote
    < 40
    0%
    < 60
    6%
    StevenKintarō HattoriBlowfishThe SparrowMojito 5 votes
    < 90
    59%
    StephenampLex_Diamondspo0kKarl HungusDingatrontony 2 toneSpunjMakaveliRuu_OldtuxyZillahjonskiNick_oliverihamsterBig Earsrainbow kirbytbatoxofCiaran500 44 votes
    < 150
    28%
    D-GenerateBoroTheFatneGevRetr0gamerGrayareajesus_thats_gremonkeyfudgethelordofcheeseevad_lhorglardboyStalfosKinetic^legologicJeanClaudeDman001KevsterSierra OscarjohnnyflavCaptain Chaos 21 votes
    > 150 !!
    4%
    LemmingBalfafeylya 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

< 150
    Yeah 75 punts for Super SF2 on the megadrive on the day of launch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

< 150
    Would never pay over the odds for a game. However I did go a bit crazy and got Suikoden 1 for about 55 punts on ebay, I just had to play it.

I spent in total 100 punts on rare RPG Xenogears. I bought it first from buyrite.net for 50 punts but got a dodgy disc. Those useless bastards wouldn't send me a replacement or a refund and closed down shortly afterwards. C*nts.

Eventually got it for 50 punts again from a more respectible site.

2 months later Squaresoft issued a re-release on the greatest hits range for 20 dollars :(

I usually end up getting rare games quite cheap. I have a pristine copy of the very rare PAL Suikoden 2 which my friend in Konami managed to find for me and picked up a PAL Panzer Dragoon Saga (unboxed but I buy my games to play not collect) for around 25 euro. I also have a few rare promo games such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Symphony of the Night and Vandal Hearts 2 (which I'm almost sure is uncut) which i picked up for free from my mate.

I probably paid more for megadrive games but I don't think I ever paid over 50 punts for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

< 60
    <40, I is poor :(

Generally I just stay a generation behind in games, it works out cheaper in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

< 90
    Guitar Hero, which I think was somewhere between 70 and 80.
    But it came with a bit of plastic, which is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

< 150
    Does paying €150 for a Gamecube with Mario Kart just to get the Zelda bonus disc count?

I already had a Gamecube by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

< 90
    I've begun to use the second hand market a hell of a lot more recently- cheaper games=more games for me! I'd still buy new if its something i really want, though i'm not hardcore/silly enough to pay loads for any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

< 90
    I never pay over the odds for a game and always buy online. When I traded in my ps2 I had about 25 games. I counted them all up and I only paid full price for about 4 or 5 of them... and full price was about €43 off play.com. Some of the others were given to me and would have cost full price, but loads more were picked up cheap online after they'd been out for a while.

With so many titles out for it the ps2 was very handy for picking up cheap games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I paid €250 for a near mint condition Mortal Kombat II Arcade Cabinet, but that was for my brother's birthday. On myself I think the most I spent was on Super Street Fighter II on the 3D0. Paid £90 for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Balfa wrote:
    What's the most expensive console or PC game you've bought (or had bought for you)? Was it some crazy gold-plated special edition? Or was it just a neo-geo game?

Mine was Super Street Fighter II for the SNES. 75 punts back in the day!!

Mine is the exact same. It came in a metal tin, and I still remember having my mam buy it for me, and then having to trail around while she did her shopping for the next hour, torture. I was content just holding my new shiny box though.

EDIT/ what am I saying it wasnt super streetfighter, it was streetfighter 2 turbo! Ryu & Ken had new color karate suits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I paid £70 for Shenmue 2 on the dreamcast way back when it was only out a while. Great purchase, but now i'm left with no hope of ever getting to beat up Lan Di.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

£70 again, but this time for Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, back when it came out. Never regretted a penny of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Probably the Super SF2 import I bought back in the day, I don't even remember how much it was now, that was a lifetime ago, but it was a lot, and damnit I don't regret it because I played it constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I butchered my PS2, bought a swap disc set and bought a new TV that could do 60Hz just so I could import Suikoden 3 so all in all that game must have cost me around €200 if that counts. Wasn't as good as its predecessors either :(

Single game, I dunno, probably 75 quid on Flight Simulator a few years back, in a strange phase I went through. Wouldn't touch it these days but I think I got my money's worth at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Pay? For games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

I paid €70 for a second-hand copy of Ico on eBay, which Sony reissued six months later. Still, at least I have my "art cards", cheap as chips at €40!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

< 90
    Street Fighter II Turbo-Metal Shiny Box Edition 82 punts :eek:

This was back in the day whe 82 punts meant something too! And people moan about the price of XBOX360 games :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

< 90
    Around 50 punts (could have been a bit more) for Microsoft Space Simulator a few years ago, I don't know what I was thinking! Played it once and it was on floppy disks.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

< 90
    Like plenty of smart people, I never buy games for more than €30-ish -- wait for sales/greatest hits/2nd-hand, get lots of games in one swoop, realise that they'll just gather dust in the end!

So my most expensive game?
    €55 for... err... Tekken 5... figures, the one game I buy at full price ends up in the "whatever"-box after a few months. Virtua Fighter 4:Evolution cos €29, and kept me entertained for twice as long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dunno bout me but one of the lads in work bought that Steel Battalion thing. The massive controller and whatnot. I'd say that cost a pretty penny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

never paid anymore than i had too but in terms of most expensive piece of **** that i bought.

Superman on n64 £49 or something easy really.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Ruu wrote:
    Around 50 punts (could have been a bit more) for Microsoft Space Simulator a few years ago, I don't know what I was thinking! Played it once and it was on floppy disks.:(

I had that as well. The only 2 missions I ever bothered to play were the launch of the space shuttle and docking the lunar module. The rest was incredibly boring! Crudely pixelated stars everywhere and a complete lack of action quickly left it unused.

The massive manual came in handy as a paperweight for many years after though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

< 150
    Guitar Hero, which I think was somewhere between 70 and 80.
    But it came with a bit of plastic, which is always good.

Seconded. And to be honest, it was a waste of money... still, was fun for a wee while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I spent a large chunk of my communion money buying Maniac Mansion for the NES. It was £64 back in 1992? Possibly the most expensive RRP for a standard edition game ever when you take inflation into account?

I still break out the NES though and play the game from time to time so I guess I got good value :D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

< 90
    Conker on the N64, £60 I think, but certainly worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

£80 for A Boy And His Blob on the NES. 40 in france and another 40 to have it 'chipped' or something by nintendo because it wouldn't work in ireland (was young at the time and didnt know). Great game though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

< 150
    Do online games like mmrpgs count because i played final fantasy xi all last year and have spent over 160 paying for the monthly subscription.

Other than that, i think legend of zelda TP was €60 or something. kinda pricely. Thank God i dont have to buy Xbox360 games.

£80 for A Boy And His Blob on the NES. 40 in france and another 40 to have it 'chipped' or something by nintendo because it wouldn't work in ireland (was young at the time and didnt know). Great game though

Off topic, but Winning Hand has reminded me of something similar happening when my cousin bought a NES game over here for his Dutch console and I'm kind of curious about it now. Does anyone know why European NES games wouldn't work with a system from another European country and vice versa?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

< 150
    Did european systems output in SECAM as opposed to PAL and NTSC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

It was probably Time Crisis and the gcon45 on the ps1. The game was ridiculously short though.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Did european systems output in SECAM as opposed to PAL and NTSC?

Ah, probably. Thanks!

Advertisement