Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil on road...

Options
  • 22-03-2007 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Folks

I crashed my car into the back of another car this evening. What basically happened was the car in front of me stopped in the road (there was a car in front of them turning right into a garage). I naturally tapped on the breaks to stop the car but quickly realised it wasnt stopping, i then jammed on the breaks to stop but could hear the ABS kicking in but the car still wasnt stopping, i put the wheel over to try to avoid hitting the car but turning was too slow/too late to avoid hitting the car in front.

Damage is relatively light my bumper back 1/4" if even that and some paint scrapes, however their bumper appears to have shattered.

Subsquent examination of the road revealed rivers of rainbows (oil/diesel/petrol and water, it was raining), the other parties agreed with this assessment. We called the Gardai to report the oil on the road they refused to come out because "theres a garage nearby"???.

My question is because of the oil on the ground does the insurance company penalise me as both parties have agreed that there was oil present and nothing i could have done save crawled along at 2mph (which I would have done had i known there was oil there!!)

In future who should I report spillages such as this on the road to as the Gardai dont seem interested in preventing further accidents!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's an unfortunate situation, but you hit the rear of another car and that leaves you the party with liability. It's a tough break but thats the way it goes. You could try to apportion blame on to whoever spilled the oil but that's probably an impossible task.

You should report oil spillages to the local authority who can arrange to clean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have to agree, unless you can track down whoever spilled the oil there's really not a lot you can do. You have my sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

crosstownk wrote:
    You should report oil spillages to the local authority who can arrange to clean it.

Guess all we need now is the emergency numbers for the local authorities....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

boomer_ie wrote:
    Guess all we need now is the emergency numbers for the local authorities....
    LOL - just don't call outside business hours :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

crosstownk wrote:
    LOL - just don't call outside business hours :D

Or even inside business hours :D

Think their opening hours are 12:01 to 12:02 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

dont forget the 2 lunch breaks and the meeting. Your call is important to them though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No they actually do respond to calls. Few months ago when it when we had the heavy rain a manhold cover popped beside Bird Ave. My sister was driving be and spotted it. Got in contact with the Gardai and they said they knew about it. She asked if they would close road/warn traffic and was told a patrol was on the way. After a bit of checking around on net got in contact with DunLaoghaire-Rathdown and when she was on the way back later they had a waning sign up and fixed the next day.
    This was at 10pm.

So they do work. At night and on OT:D :D

Advertisement