Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiet for the Kicker?

• 22-03-2007 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else think the concept of silence (ish) while penalties and coversions are attempted has disappeared from some grounds? Was it ever there?

All the talk of Rome at the weekend, they were a noisy bunch. Yet at Murrayfield the week before there was a lot more respect for the kickers. Is it a nationality thing? Has this drifted in from other sports? Do some nations get it more than others?

IMO you'll always have some idiots who think they're smart shouting out but I do think this is a disappointing trend in rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Why keep quiet when the kicker attempts a penalty or a conversion? I'll only ever seen this here, in Ireland.

In France there isn't a hope of having silence during a kick! "We bought a ticket to support our team and we're sure as hell going to make it hard for the opposing kicker!". That's the feeling at home anyway...

I keep quiet when I'm at games in Ireland but I'm completely different when I go to matches in France! As one of my friends said: "We're Latin. We have to make noise!". And I agree with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    And probably never will be... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

To be honest I would find it far more pressurised as a kicker if everything was dead silent, most kickers in this age would expect the odd eejit to try and put him off but it would be no excuse for missing a kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

The welsh even whistled and booed during english anthem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

I enjoy the silence during kicks. I love how the roar changes to such silence when a the kicker lines up and errupts in a roar if the kicker gets it over.

Saying that, have only heard it respected properly in Thomond Park and Welford road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Have to agree love the sound of silence on a Saturday evening in Thomond as ROG lines up a kick from a ridiculous angle outside in the car park and it still goes over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Strikes me as affectation by the crowd really : Munster rugbyer-than-thou attitude, or schools, who feel they have to promote it to show they are educating good sports.

Does anyone know of any stats that show whther it really helps (or even hinders) the kicker (or do they care at all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sandwich wrote:
    Does anyone know of any stats that show whther it really helps (or even hinders) the kicker (or do they care at all).
    WTF are you on about?
    Stats on whether silence helps or hinders kickers? I know they use stats for lots of things but not the noise level at games!
    Anecdotally some kickers have said that silence is actually unnerving for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Part of the reason I asked was that it was a specific announcement at Murrayfield asking for the crowd to respect the kicker and remain silent during penalty/conversion attempts. So to go from that to Rome was a big change.

I lived in Wales for a couple of years and never remember significant noise during the kicks at matches at any level.

I agree with Peter though, the change from the silence to the roar is magic!

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote:
    Anecdotally some kickers have said that silence is actually unnerving for them.

Is what I would expect, especially since the silence often breaks just as the kicker is about to hit the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I imagine that only applies for non-Irish based players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well haven't the southern hemisphere players said that the total silence here bofore a kick kind of freaks them out because they're used to the barracking when they kick in other countries?

Anything that gives us an advantage (however small is good by me)

[[HTML]QUOTE=Sandwich]Strikes me as affectation by the crowd really : Munster rugbyer-than-thou attitude, or schools, who feel they have to promote it to show they are educating good sports[/HTML

I think I got banned once for something less than the above:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Leave the modding to the mods petal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

shhhh!

Consistent anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hmmm...wanna be banned for dragging a thread offtopic?

if you have an issue with a post...report the ****ing thing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

Here was me expecting a thread about Ross O'Carroll Kelly, god dam it. I suppose it depends on the crowd really, I had only seen it mainly at Irish games, where the kicker regardless was always given silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Junior wrote:
    where the kicker regardless was always given silence.
    unless he plays for Leinster

• Advertisement

Tongue in cheek Dave, tongue in cheek ... i forgot my little ";) "

:D I promise not to say one word against Munster again (or at least until the HEC quarters :p )

daveirl wrote:
    Why? Everyone knows the Magners League isn't important ...

Tell Ulster that.
    They were devastated afterwards.

I see you don't get jokes then ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Yet another thread descends into Munster v Leinster.
    This is ridiculous really because Munster fans are twice as intelligent, and knowledgeable so dont know why Lenister fans even bother :D

Yet another thread descends into Munster v Leinster.
    This is ridiculous really because Munster fans are twice as intelligent, and knowledgeable so dont know why Lenister fans even bother :D

You give yourself away as a Leinster fan man. Munster ones would be revealed by using some of that great intelligence to write grammatically correct sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Sandwich wrote:
    You give yourself away as a Leinster fan man.
    Well, of all the cheap shots :p
    Sandwich wrote:
    Munster ones would be revealed by using some of that great intelligence to write grammatically correct sentences.

I've been living in Dublin for a while now. This might account for the deterioration in my grammar. :p

Maybe you should leave?

Jeepers! This thread has gone WAYYYYY off topic! :eek:

Call in the mods

Ooops they are all involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Not me...oh wait. Damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Have to say I love the silence.. especially when it unnerves the french .. (sorry Stef!) but that said, its great to head to somewhere where they dont.

Loved the whole Thomand thing on a Saturday evening, sounds like even the cars stop... when we are watching at home, silence descends on the house its hillarious to watch the non rugby people get shushed!

Anyways, different ways of respect, silence to help you concentrate, loudness because we think you can get it and we are trying to put you off! My 2c anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I for one don't see why there should be silence for the kicker, if there is a full up and under does the crowd go quiet at thomond park or anywhere else, for the full back to concentrate on catching the kick, in fact its the opposite, thats the whole point of playing at home and the crowd being a '16th' man.
    Who exactly are we supposed to be respecting? the kicker? any kicker worth his salt wouldn't give a damn if there was a full on party happening in the stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Webbs wrote:
    I for one don't see why there should be silence for the kicker, if there is a full up and under does the crowd go quiet at thomond park or anywhere else, for the full back to concentrate on catching the kick, in fact its the opposite, thats the whole point of playing at home and the crowd being a '16th' man.
    Who exactly are we supposed to be respecting? the kicker? any kicker worth his salt wouldn't give a damn if there was a full on party happening in the stands

i agree with Webbs here.
    you bring fans to cheer you on and intimidate the opposition. so if you are making a racket to put off the other team for the match during play why should you be quiet when they are taking a penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

i think its just another one of those things where rugby is set apart from other sports, and its remarkable how its still around im glad it is. imagine trying to persuade the KOP to be quiet for a united penalty etc.. it just shows charachter and class imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

i think its just another one of those things where rugby is set apart from other sports, and its remarkable how its still around im glad it is. imagine trying to persuade the KOP to be quiet for a united penalty etc.. it just shows charachter and class imo.

Well said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Heh, I shush people in my local when it comes to kicks :D

• Advertisement

Webbs wrote:
    Both very good points there! However, I do tend to agree with Webbs more than goodluck2me.

BUT, I do keep silent during kicks if I am at a game in Ireland because this is the way it is here and I respect that.

Advertisement