Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin pub for "date"

Options
  • 22-03-2007 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

hi folks, im trying to score with this girl ive known for a while. so, we're going out for a drink (just the two of us). ive a few ideas on where but id like to hear suggestions on somewhere that would be condusive to this, ie we'll be able to sit nice and close together (without it seeming wierd, this would be a weekday afternoon rather than a fri/sat night) nice atmosphere etc, just to make the job a bit easier. cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Well firstly you're in the wrong forum, secondly your grammar is shocking and last but not least, if she likes you, she'll be with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Earwig Eddie

no keyboard hardmen replies please. feel free to move to appropriate forum, i dont post very much so i wasnt sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

Hey there,

a few suggestions. I figure you want somwhere not too loud (but still has an atmosphere) and not too pretentious (but not a dive either). Sort of depends what age bracket you're in also. Ignore yer man above! Fair play for putting some thought into your date-plans

My suggestions would be (and please no personal abuse; they're only opinions)

(1) Kehoe's off Grafton street; it isn't the prettiest pub necessarily (more old style) but it is chilled out and if you can get a seat upstairs, it might be just the place. Has music in the background to cover over awkward silences but isn't blaring out of the speakers so you''ll still be able to hear each other.

(2) Peter's Pub behind Stephen's Green is also quite chilled out; good place to start

(3) The Odeon off Harcourt Street; this attracts an after-work crowd so a few suits about if that bothers you or not, but think most girls would appreciate being brought there (I had a great date there once!!); it looks classy enough inside (but none of the stag party types that Cafe en Seine attracts). It doesn't have the auld style pub vibe at all.

(4) O'Donoghue's on Baggott St - nice outside area (with heaters!), good for chats and excellent atmosphere. Toners if you're looking for somwhere very relaxed; it's on the same street.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes! ;)

W

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Fitzsimons in Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Whoa,

Is that Kenny 5 or Niles Crane? Calm down, his grammar is not important here. Suggestion: (trying to use best grammar) Why go for a drink? If it's an afternoon date go for a walk in the Wicklow mountains.. calmness and serenity all around (plus she won't assume you're a roaring alcoholic!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

always found the porterhouse to be quite cool, but not in temple bar (too cramped)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 yournamehere

I think kehoes, cocoon or ba mizu

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Thomas Reids on Dame Street is good - always loads of seats, but nice friendly atmosphere.
    Not too full on and no chance of sports/tv/boozehounds ruining your evening

That's where I would go .... good luck!'

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moved from PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

The Market Bar off George's street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭frizzefreckles

i second the porterhouse suggestion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ba mizu

yup defo, always a seat and lovely place, get her to sit in front of the aquarium incase shes boring

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

You could go to Easons and buy The Dubliner 100 Best Bars very handy for this. The Bailey on Duke St. is great. Weather good - sit outside, weather bad - sit inside. Central and non intimidating location, easy to find.

If you want something less pretentious how about upstairs in Solas on Camden street?

Where would you normally go drinking? That could be a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Hmmm you need somewhere with kubby holes so you'll have to sit together. Problem with kehoes and market bar and some of the the other places is they either will have too many people or are too big. Midweek I would say somewhere like sin é (candles always tables available- half bottle of wine €7 so u can sloshed...) or The long hall- always tables available, nice bar or the long stone lots of cosy couch spots there!. The porterhouse can be a good one but midweek has some AWFUL bands!! Have fun though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

John Wan wrote:
    'Thomas Reids on Dame Street is good - always loads of seats, but nice friendly atmosphere.
    Not too full on and no chance of sports/tv/boozehounds ruining your evening

That's where I would go .... good luck!'

Good choice also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Earwig Eddie

thanks everyone - some places there that id never even heard of. the odeon yeah, im surprised that didnt occur to me already. im not a big fan of the porter or fitzsimons though, might check out the others in the meantime. nice one on the fishtank and the cosy seating.

i probably should have been clearer originally - its not a date as such, though we're both single and i do think she likes me, more of a "lets grab a drink next week" type scenario where i hope to lay the gob on her should the opportunity arise ;) (and they say romance is dead eh!?)

match report whenever it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

if its just the two of you and not intense CITI on dames street isnt a bad place, particularly if you get the paired seats by the window on the way up to the second level. has added bonus of food to order and a free club down stairs if things go well and ya wanna stay on.

been good for me in the past.:)

like i say not good enough for proper date but grand if ya just wanna see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Went to 'The Long Stone' on Townsend St. For my first date and still with him 6 yrs on. The atmosephere is grand, good background music and the chances are you won't bump into someone you would know!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

farringtons in temple bar is my date pub and grand central on o'connell street but the porterhouse on nassua street is starting to make the list recently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

irishbird wrote:
    farringtons in temple bar is my date pub and grand central on o'connell street but the porterhouse on nassua street is starting to make the list recently

was gonna mention grand central myself . its where the old AIB used to be on the corner of oconnel st and abbey st. nice place but more of a "day" pub where you can get a bit of grub. wouldnt fancy staying there for the night as its a bit too intimate for a "chance" date.
    just a question , the porter house on nassua st. thats the old "judge roy beans" isnt it? used to do great food there !

• Advertisement
Advertisement