Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best bosses ever

Options
  • 22-03-2007 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

As we all know final fantasy has provided some truly great bosses during its series. This thread is about all those great bosses.

In my opinion the best boss ever has to be penance final fantasy x (international version the USA couldnt handle the awesomeness of this boss) if youve been able to even get to him, hes truly immense and almost undefeatable (something like 12 million hp). It took me about a year-year and a half of off and on playing to max out my characters and even then this boss was reaaaaaallllly hard. i was so proud of myself!

anyway thats my opinion on the best boss ever...whats yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Penance was a pretty crappy boss tbh. It was just a ludicrously hard to complete goal that required obscene amount of level grinding to beat.

I can't really think of any standout bosses at the moment, very few of them required genuine skill and tactics to beat. By and large, a tough, hard-to-beat obstacle could be easily circumvented by 20 minutes of levelling. Although there was one boss in X that changed its elemental strengths and weaknesses every few turns so that was a fairly interesting fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'd say Emerald or Ruby weapon from FFVII were the best FF bosses.

Emerald especially did a move that took 9999 HP. So it forced you to come up with a way of surviving that (phoneix summon joined with life spell or something). I thought that was great at the time because you were the whole time gearing up for this fight that took like 20-30 mins to finish anyway. Seemed really epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I always liked the Midgar Zolom. Seemed so epic and terrifying the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Anima wrote:

Emerald especially did a move that took 9999 HP. So it forced you to come up with a way of surviving that (phoneix summon joined with life spell or something). I thought that was great at the time because you were the whole time gearing up for this fight that took like 20-30 mins to finish anyway. Seemed really epic.

Final Attack materia paired with phoenix and you needed phoenix at 3-4 stars. Dark yojimbo from X was tough, can't remember the name of the move but if he pulled it off that was it, because it broke through the rise\angel status. Dark Magus sisters as well, you're only hope was to split them up and fight them 1 by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Dark Magus sisters as well, you're only hope was to split them up and fight them 1 by 1.
    Yijimbo had an attack that can one hit kill things. When I stumbled upon the dark magus sister, I grand summoned yojimbo, paid him most of my gil which wasn't much cause I read that it increases the chance of doing that move and he did. The dark magus sister were instantly killed. I think yojimbo can probably kill all the dark aeons and Penance if you don't mind rebooting when he fails. You didn't really had to spend hours leveling. I didn't bother hunting dark aeons though, wasn't particularly motivated after finishing the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found the Dark Aeons got in the way of subquests and ruined the PAL version for me. Should have just Yojimbo-ed them but it felt like cheating.

All my favourite bosses were in Final Fantasy X. I didn't spend any time levelling up and because of the brilliant battle system a lot of the last few bosses were really hard fought tactical affairs. The best were:
    Seymour on Mt. Gagazette (sp?)
    Having to change from shell to protect after his attacks changed just to stay alive mixed things up nicely.

The dragony boss before yunalesca
    Brilliant the way you had to constantly change position and use a tank to distract him.

Yunalesca
    Horrible boss. Really hated her zombie status effect. Felt great beating her :)

Also the boss at the top of Kefkas tower in FFVI had a nasty surprise that really broke my heart ;)

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Seymour on Mt. Gagazette (sp?)
    Having to change from shell to protect after his attacks changed just to stay alive mixed things up nicely.

Incorrect, that boss was a pain in the arse because of that stupid doomsday-insta-kill-everything on the screen attack that he had. An absolute emot-jerkbag.gif of an enemy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

grimloch wrote:
    Incorrect, that boss was a pain in the arse because of that stupid doomsday-insta-kill-everything on the screen attack that he had. An absolute emot-jerkbag.gif of an enemy.

If you used shell (or was it protect) Doomsday was survivable and you could easily recover. It used to wipe my entire party out as well until I used these spells.

Really? I recall using both of those spells and still getting obliterated. It was due to luck and luck alone that I eventually beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, it was Protect that did the business against his attack on the whole party. Also one he tried his Lance / Zombie thing on an indivdual, fling in a Holy Water (or have Zombie Ward attached) and he wastes a move on performing a Full-Life.

Definitely one of the more interesting bosses in X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Well, this thread apart from retr0s comment seems to be more about the toughest boss than the best boss! And there have been many of them, Ruby in VII, Omega in VIII, Osmo in IX, Dark Aeons in X etc but ..

Surely Safer Sephiroth in VII is the most awesome boss EVER? Sure if you level up enough and get KOTR you can destroy him but I didn't do that the first time I played the game and my god he was challenging. The backround music for the fight was epic, and gave me shivers, he looked awesome, and his supernova attack was just crazy, I don't think I've ever seen anything as long and as over the top brilliant in any FF game since. Loved it!

Yeah music was well cool, i remember getting goosebumps when they played the music in Advent children.

After fighting gillgamesh in XII, i've got to see he's one of the best, funny intro and ending to the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Anima wrote:

I assume you are talkin about the attack where the top half of the weapon flies over you and shoots energy or lasers or something at you? This attack does damage equal to the number of materia orbs attached to you times 1000, so if any character has 10 orbs or more junctioned to weapons and armo, they are dead because there is no way to reduce/avoid damage. You have to decide what materia is really important before you go into this battle.

I think that the ruby weapon is the best boss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Fighting Cerebus in Galbadia Garden in 8 was pretty cool, also enjoyed having to Fight diablo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I assume you are talkin about the attack where the top half of the weapon flies over you and shoots energy or lasers or something at you? This attack does damage equal to the number of materia orbs attached to you times 1000, so if any character has 10 orbs or more junctioned to weapons and armo, they are dead because there is no way to reduce/avoid damage. You have to decide what materia is really important before you go into this battle.

I think that the ruby weapon is the best boss

Or just final attack and phoenix ;)

Never new that with emerald and materia, it woud've saved on alot of time not having to level up phoenix and final attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭dan_y

yeah, the attack is called aire tam. spell it backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well i suppose i'll add my 2c then... i thought Penance ranks amongst the most frustrating bosses of all time, along with Gilgamesh in FF12 <<
    took me over 30 mins to kill him 2nd time round
    . Also, i just recently fought Fafnir
    took me about 1hr 20 mins to kill this bastard, compared to other rank 7 marks he was by far the toughest

For best boss though, probably Safer Sephiroth, i thought the Jecht battle was pretty cool also in X , Dark Yojimbo, Griever and Kefka deserve a mention because i loved, and hated those battles also :p

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

My favourite was the giant goomba, it took me about a hundred meat junkies to beat him the first time, then I figured out you could just use orbs and stars. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

yeah, the attack is called aire tam. spell it backwards

I feel like such a clown now :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

ruby and emerald in 7, giant cactuar was a good laugh in 8 when you'd spend ages at him and then hed run away. also odin and tonberry king dude GF in 8 were slightly challenging. never played 9. but the best were in 10. nobody mentioned nemises, neslug, and jumbo dark flan guy (cant remember real name) all in the fighting arena were pretty challenging. Dark anema dark behemoth and dark magus sisters were a real challenge if not using Zanmato. also the tetra elemental and giant eater which had to be repeatedly killed to get fortune sqheres and luck. At the end of all the dark aeons Penance wasnt too bad. just keep at least one arm dead and he was a pretty easy. kind of an anti climax in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Just beat Gilgamesh in 12 (elite rare mark). Brilliant fight because after every 20% of his health is lost he takes out a new sword and you can recognise them from other final fantasy's (eg buster sword form VII, Gunblade from VIII, caladbolg from X etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Dyne from FF7 for personal sentimental reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nzamcdza

Ruby Weapon for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

My favourite was the giant goomba, it took me about a hundred meat junkies to beat him the first time, then I figured out you could just use orbs and stars. :o
    LoL Penance is a wussy against Jojimbo I 1 shotted him with his main attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

I freakin hated penance! i never saw the point in fighting all the dark aeons, it was ridiculously hard. Dark yojimbo especially(why the hell wouldn't he just DIE?!).I'll always remember ruby, cos i first did it when i was like 11 and i actually cried when i beat the ugly red mofo...I always found sephiroth a cinch after jenova, that mother(pun definitely intended) was hard! loved fightin osma in IX, mostly cos i'd gotten all of the help style creatures, so it was easier...i always liked fighting seymour too....dunno why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

favourite boss prob be ultimate weapon in VII

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

one that always got me was the Wall Demon in the Temple of the Ancients in VII. He was damn hard at that stage of the game (unless you were using Tifa who could pretty much kill him in one Limit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

I'd have to go with Ruby Weapon in FF7. It was before the time of insane leveling up and 2 hour battles, which are just a bit over the top IMO.

Ruby looked virtually indestructible at first, but with clever preparation and strategy you could take him down. A battle that makes you think hard and look for weaknesses is the most satisfying to win, I think. I remember when I beat him - it was the very last time I played FF7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Hehe, i would probably go ruby weapon if i'd bothered to beat him the hard way.

Was lucky enough to have cath sith kill him in one go with his slots limit though :D

Favourite Boss was The Big robot thing in seven, not when you originally meet him but when you had to fight him at the end of the battle arena. I found it fun because you usually missing some important things when going into the fight and weren't always guaranteed to beat it.

Those little Yan things(i think) in 8/9 (can't remember which) were also little tough feckers, they only appeared on one island on the map(little yellow guys with horns on their heads). Mostly cause each one had 2 goes for everyone one turn you had and they had some really powerful and annoying attacks.
    Very Satisfying when you beat a group of three of them tho.

Advertisement