Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese 360 to Europe

• 22-03-2007 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me, if there are any issues with buying a 360 in Tokyo and taking it back to Europe?

will it work? or.. .. . ....

im in Tokyo and well is so much cheaper here PS3 is half the price and 360 is pretty cheap too, so any advise on the 360 compatibility

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Black Jack wrote:
    Can anyone tell me, if there are any issues with buying a 360 in Tokyo and taking it back to Europe?

will it work? or.. .. . ....

im in Tokyo and well is so much cheaper here PS3 is half the price and 360 is pretty cheap too, so any advise on the 360 compatibility

Most 360 games are region locked, the saving you'd make wouldn't justify the long term headache.

I'd probably pick up a ps3 if i was you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Black Jack

Most 360 games are region locked, the saving you'd make wouldn't justify the long term headache.

im sorely tempted, but you lose backwards compatibility and it wont play DVD, games only but yes the PS3, 60gig version is going for around 380euro here, thats with 10% discount and an extra 5% cause im a tourist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Isn't Tokyo/Japan region 2, the same as Europe...

It would say it on the box of the console and all DVDs would have the region code of the area printed on the case.

The PS3 games are region free, not sure bout Blu-Ray though, if I could get a PS3 for less than €400, I would defo get one. Sure if you get bored of it after bringing it home, I'd take it off your hands for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Most 360 games are not region locked.
    I've purchased 8 of the current top 10 games from Play Asia and I normally buy the Asian version as they are €30-40. Works out a lot cheaper than
    buying within Europe either in the high street or online.
    Whether a game is region free or not is up to the publisher and at the
    moment most of them produce the games region free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I have a Japanese 360. yes its region 2 so your ok for dvds. You will need a step down converter or buy a 220v 360 power supply I think i saw these for sale for about £40 on the net somewhere.

With the Japanese console It will play the Asia release games as well as its own NTSC-J ones. The Asian are fairly cheap on playasia about €38 including shipping and older titles are cheaper again. Most of the Asian games are also in English. The Japanese ones will fully be in Japanese and are not as cheap.

Other then the power supply I've had no other Issues with it.

• Advertisement

Most 360 games are not region locked.

I stand corrected.

I always went by play asias region free list and theres only 40 odd games there, (most of them always backordered:mad:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

johnnyflav wrote:
    Isn't Tokyo/Japan region 2, the same as Europe...

Japan is Region 2 NTSC, we're Region 2 PAL.

Stokolan says they work though so I guess it makes no difference.

No drama, I used to go by the "Play Asia Region free" list myself until I realised
    that I was missing out on the real bargains. Play Asia increase the price of the
    Asian and Japanese region games once they are confirmed region free. I'll
    often see a game increase by €5-10 once it's region free status is confirmed.

The secret with Play Asia is to note which publishers tend to always produce
    region free games and to get in with an early pre-order on Play Asia and get
    the cheapest price. You'll always pay the price you order it at. I believe Ubisoft
    have not region locked any of their games - I preordered the Asian or Japanese
    versions of Rainbow 6 Vegas and GRAW2.

I keep an eye on here and avforums to see if anyone confirms the region free
    status of a game I'm interested in but I tend to just take a punt and pre-order
    a 360 game anyhow. At almost half the price I'm happy to take a gamble ;)
    I've ordered about 10 games this way since late 2006 and am delighted with
    the service and at these prices I'm a happy chappy :D

No drama, I used to go by the "Play Asia Region free" list myself until I realised
    that I was missing out on the real bargains. Play Asia increase the price of the
    Asian and Japanese region games once they are confirmed region free. I'll
    often see a game increase by €5-10 once it's region free status is confirmed.

The secret with Play Asia is to note which publishers tend to always produce
    region free games and to get in with an early pre-order on Play Asia and get
    the cheapest price. You'll always pay the price you order it at. I believe Ubisoft
    have not region locked any of their games - I preordered the Asian or Japanese
    versions of Rainbow 6 Vegas and GRAW2.

I keep an eye on here and avforums to see if anyone confirms the region free
    status of a game I'm interested in but I tend to just take a punt and pre-order
    a 360 game anyhow. At almost half the price I'm happy to take a gamble ;)
    I've ordered about 10 games this way since late 2006 and am delighted with
    the service and at these prices I'm a happy chappy :D

Wow, this is all news to me.

Do you reckon this would work?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-15-blue%2Bdragon-70-1m86.html

Wow, this is all news to me.

Do you reckon this would work?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-15-blue%2Bdragon-70-1m86.html

Afraid it's not looking good.. there's a lot of text and dialogue in that game and
    I believe it's all in Japanese.. so unless you're fluent I'd give it a miss ;-)
    (Take a look at the comments/reviews on the bottom of the page you linked)

As I mentioned earlier whether a game is region free is up to the Publisher... well
    Microsoft are probably the worst for locking down regions on the games they
    publish themselves...

You might be interested in this link for some Blue Dragon info
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469011&highlight=blue+dragon
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469011&highlight=blue+dragon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

MS aren't always the worst, gears of war and crackdown were both region free.

MS aren't always the worst, gears of war and crackdown were both region free.

You just reminded me that I bought both of these from Play Asia in the NTSCJ
    section ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i think a lot of people on boards did the same ;)

I wanna get in on this jap action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

I wanna get in on this jap action.

You sound like an American GI in Roppongi! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A Japanese XBox wont play many of the games on shop shelves in Ireland. It will play Irish dvds.

A Japanese PS3 will play Irish games and dvds, but not Irish blu-ray, if that matters.

Both will need a step-down transformer.

Advertisement