Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda issue - Produce license and insurance?

Options
  • 22-03-2007 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I was stopped for an illegal right turn.
    Hands up I accepted it.
    I forgot my wallet and produced my license in a garda station within ten days.

Now months later I get a summons for not producing my insurance.
    I was only asked by the garda to produce my license (im almost 100% sure he only asked for this).

Sure my insurance disk is on the car!

Any thoughts!
    Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Its your certificate of insurance, which they want. It comes in the post along with your insurance disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Its your certificate of insurance, which they want. It comes in the post along with your insurance disc.

Thanks cold_filter

Would they always ask for this?
    As I say I'm almost 100% sure he only asked me to produce my licence.
    I do have my certificate of insurance.

Is there any chance if I contact the garda in question he will drop the court date?

Or I've heard that Gardai get paid if they appear in court.
    Is it to the Gardas benefit that I go to court?

Thanks
    M

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well in cases like this when I get stopped I alway bring my lisence/tax/insurance to the garda station just to make sure they can't do anything about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

Maybe, I am being negative about this but it looks like it is his word against yours.

I think that the Garda have a target to reach for traffic offences and maybe they manufactur:eek: or whats a better word, "push" a few very hard.

But you have been unlucky.

Does anyone know of a way to change the Goverment and the Garda........during the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

for future reference, your insurance cert is the piece of paper you rip the disk off of, so yes you should have it somewhere. Gards often ask to see this to make sure you have'nt forged the disk. I've even started carrying mine in the car (I must have guilty head coz they always ask me for it).

And as posted above, always show them everything if your asked to produce something, at the end of the day its your word against his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Contact the garda who stopped you and if you're patient and reasonable the chances are the charge will be dropped. Also contact the station you produced at and see if they have it logged. Had something similar happen to me recently where I got summonsed for not producing, called the station to confirm that I had produced in the presence of a witness, and the charge was dropped on the court date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Best way to deal with cops is to plead stupid & forgetful and try to talk to the sergent at the station, more than likely they will drop the case. If you go and try to blame them it will make matters worse and is like poking at a wasps nest and you will definitally end up in court. If it ever dose to court plead stupid again and more than likely it will be squashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Was stopped about four years ago at a garda checkpoint. I was in a temp car I bought while my regular car was being repaired (19 year old drove his dad’s 4X4 into me) and didn't have tax – And was limping the car back to the garage I’d just bought it from because of a blown gasket.

I explained the situation to him and thought no more of it.

A few weeks later I get a court summons for not producing a licence at the garda station.

The garda never asked for my licence. Fortunately, he got the date wrong (My wife spotted this!) and I could not possibly have been in the car at that date. :cool:

I went to the garda station and asked to speak to the Garda in question and he flipped open his notebook and agreed with me re the dates.

He said not to bother turning up at court and he'd sort it out. I said fine, but have since wondered what would have happened at the court. I'm guessing the garda didn't stand up and say he got the date wrong.

Anyway, I did say to him that he never asked about the licence, but at that stage I was getting off, especially as he was making comment about me getting away with the not having tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

So I rang the garda and he says 'I definitely told you to bring insurance cert.'
    But then he goes 'Bring the cert into me and we'll see what we can do. You will probably have to still go to court though, this will just speed things up when you're in there'.

WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Yep its true, pain in the hole too. As long as you can show you were insured on the vehicle at the time you were stopped it will more than likely be thrown out, but at the same time you will have to go to court to have that done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

mathie wrote:
    I was stopped for an illegal right turn.
    produced my license in a garda station within ten days.
    I get a summons for not producing my insurance
    im almost 100% sure he only asked for this

You're answering your own questions there, almost 100% means there's an element of his roadside waffle you are not sure about. When in doubt just produce the cert, you know that now anyway.
    So, how to get out of this, well explain to him what you have explained to us, you made a mistake and can produce all insurance info now. Dunno if you'll have to go to court but be prepared, I cant imagine it'd be a worthwhile pursuit for them if all your docs are in order.

Advertisement