Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed NCT How much is car worth??

Options
  • 22-03-2007 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Ok i have a fiat brava 2001 with 62k on the clock. Failed NCT last month for tires and emissions got new cat and new tyres re-did test failed for emissions again. Mechanic said car is burning oil and is clogging up cat so thats why emissions are high, he gave me some stuff for the oil but failed again.

How much would i get for scrapping it or tradin it in for a new car??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Not alot TBH!! WOuld you prefer to keep it if you could get ti through the NCT??
    The valves may be clogged up and that is what is causing the high emmissions so I would see if you could get anyone that would be able to clean them out and try again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

any idea how much that would cost?? im dont want to flog this dead donkey anymore"!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Not too sure!! A mate of mine had a bravo and done it himself and its was grand afterwards!! If you have any mechanical knowledge then it should be handy enough.

tbh im prepared to let someone steal it and ill claim from the insurance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

worth hundreds. sold a 99 HSX privately 2 years ago and got under 2 grand for it, but it was mint and with 2 years NCT. Trade price is around 500 quid so add any discount you can get for any car for that and don't choose your new car purely on the trade in price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

put some fuel system cleaner in her , or injector cleaner , fill tank , get on dual carraigeway , drive flat out in 3rd gear , pass test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds like the cat is knackered though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

tbh im prepared to let someone steal it and ill claim from the insurance!!
    PM me.

I'm joking - don't!

*Unpopular opinion follows*

If you are stuck don't bother NCTing it. You will still be able to tax it, insure it etc. Gaurds don't seem to give a toss. A workmate hasn't NCTed his car for three years and in all that time the gaurds havn't even looked for it.

My last car I had an NCT but no holder so I kept it with the cert in the glove box. Stopped at least 3 times by gaurds looking for tax never even asked about the NCT.

I can think of a few other people in the same boat. So unless the gaurds suddenly take an intrest in clamping down on NCT disks you could drive away happyly on it.
    I can't reccomend it though!

Edit: You also run the risk of getting your car seized and a fine but see above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ronoc wrote:
    *Unpopular opinion follows*

If you are stuck don't bother NCTing it. You will still be able to tax it, insure it etc. Gaurds don't seem to give a toss. A workmate hasn't NCTed his car for three years and in all that time the gaurds havn't even looked for it.

My last car I had an NCT but no holder so I kept it with the cert in the glove box. Stopped at least 3 times by gaurds looking for tax never even asked about the NCT.

I can think of a few other people in the same boat. So unless the gaurds suddenly take an intrest in clamping down on NCT disks you could drive away happyly on it.
    I can't reccomend it though!

Edit: You also run the risk of getting your car seized and a fine but see above
    QFT

They really don't give a toss!

• Advertisement

put some fuel system cleaner in her , or injector cleaner , fill tank , get on dual carraigeway , drive flat out in 3rd gear , pass test :)

Tried it, drown on the m50 from cherrywood to firhouse for an hour, looks like the net cat installed isnt working so garage is going to replace it.

Advertisement