Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned islam why?

Options
  • 22-03-2007 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

Good morning.

I was posting on a thread about hijab and I had a question about what Islamic feminsit and queer theorists had to say about it. And I was banned.

This morning I was watching a documentary about Islamic lesbians [Im in NYC atm with insomnia] in the US and they werent wearing hijabs, one was wearing no head covering and the other had their head in a skull and cap bandana, and they still considered themselves to be Muslims.

So, I feel this was a genuine question and I was silenced as was the whole dialogue.

Seeing as how the topic is around female dress, it seems more than suitable that someone should investigate what islamic feminist and or queer theory has to say about it, or is that forum far too fundamental for that?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've not read any of your posts but perhaps it's the style or tone of posting you are using that is the problem more than the questions themselves?

Have you PM'ed any of the Islam mods to discuss your ban?

I find that with any sensitive subjects it's better to ensure that you are showing respect if you are asking a question that is potentially a 'thorny issue'. I'm not saying roll over and fawn but at least let people know that you are being serious ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I dont know who banned me so I cant pm them.

Why dont you read it and decide for yourself. I did not attack anyone, I just wanted to know what a marginalised but relevant group of people thought on the subject, particulalrly women - when there seem to be NO women talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well your post has gone now so I can't view it. I'm sure one of the Islam mods will be along soon enough, either here or by PM, to let you know what happened :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

who knows. tbh, i never understood the rules on that forum.

it all seems to be about 5 people going around in a circle and never actually appearing to understand that they just dont agree on many things.

when someone pipes in with 'who are we to question (insert your favourite religious icon here)' you know that you are always going to be on a loser when it comes getting someone to try and understand a point.

personally, id ask this question on the forum, but im sure even making tat point is probably against the charter in some fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The moderators of the islamic forum are a pretty backwards and isolated bunch. I wouldn't get stressed about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Boston wrote:
    The moderators of the islamic forum are a pretty backwards and isolated bunch. I wouldn't get stressed about it.
    Looking to get a ban are we?

And why would I be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I had a question about what Islamic feminsit and queer theorists had to say about it. And I was banned.
    You were banned for asking about Islamic feminist queer theorists????

How shocking.

Its almost as if someone didn't understand that both "Islamic feminist theorist" and "Islamic queer theorist" are both correct and respectful titles to use.

I don't see the problem bonkey, perhaps explain it to those of us that are a bit s l o w. Was it pointed out to him that these terms for whatever reason are unacceptable to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Metro, your down on the ban list in the charter for 1 week.

I can only assume your questions were about something extremely delicate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They are a sensitive bunch over there and asking a balanced question about Islam is likely to get you a Magic 8 Ball type response. Asking questions about Gay people on there goes down like a lead ballon. Apparently according to a discussion on there - Gay people get a hundred lashes just for being gay They are a world apart over there - its like going back to the middle ages and asking a question about Transistor Radios. You would likely have been burned at the stake. Stay away from there if you value your sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You were banned because Allah wills it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Metro
    It was Hobbes who banned you, he seemed to think you were taking the piss. I honestly don't see how, but I never go into that forum.
    From your posts in PI, I have never seen you take the piss out of any one. Can't speak for anywhere else you post of course.
    Perhaps drop him a PM and explain that your question was a serious one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Maybe he prefaced the question with "I'm straight"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Boston wrote:
    I don't see the problem bonkey, perhaps explain it to those of us that are a bit s l o w. Was it pointed out to him that these terms for whatever reason are unacceptable to use.
    Well I suppose that it is possible for those terms to come accross as belittling and/or offensive. If a religion is against either of those topics, its not hard to see how it would be a sensitive subject to them.

Dragan wrote:
    I can only assume your questions were about something extremely delicate.

Well thats fair enough :rolleyes:

It's says a lot about hobbes that he thinks anyone raising these issues has to be a troll and dismiss them out of hand. unfit mod tbh.

Blowfish wrote:
    Well I suppose that it is possible for those terms to come accross as belittling and/or offensive. If a religion is against either of those topics, its not hard to see how it would be a sensitive subject to them.

The only way you would find those terms offensive is if you found linking Islam and lesbianism or feminism offensive. The terms Queer theory and Feminist Theory are common enough. If raising these topics will earn you a ban, it should say so in the charter.

RuggieBear: no one's ever been banned for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Boston wrote:
    RuggieBear: no one's ever been banned for that.

yet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The Islam is about the religion and spirituality of islam not the culture of islamic countires.

Certain things will be off topic in that forum the same way a discussion about the magdalene laundries would be off topic in the christainity forum.

Just because you are practicing an faith does not mean you agree with acts carried out in the name of that faith in other countries or even this country.

Metorvelvet why that forum and not humanities ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With metrovelvet's permission, I'll actually post up what you posted on that thread. I can see why he thought you were taking the piss, but it may just have been the tone of the post.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    The Islam is about the religion and spirituality of islam not the culture of islamic countires.

Certain things will be off topic in that forum the same way a discussion about the magdalene laundries would be off topic in the christainity forum.

Just because you are practicing an faith does not mean you agree with acts carried out in the name of that faith in other countries or even this country.

Metorvelvet why that forum and not humanities ?

He wasn't banned for being off-topic, he was banned for being a troll. Why delete rather then move the thread. why not just say The forum is about "the religion and spirtuality of islam and not the culture"? The guy didn't do anything wrong bar, as you suggest, post the topic in the wrong forum, happens all the time on boards, few moderators ban for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Boston wrote:
    He wasn't banned for being off-topic, he was banned for being a troll. Why delete rather then move the thread. why not just say The forum is about "the religion and spirtuality of islam and not the culture"? The guy didn't do anything wrong bar, as you suggest, post the topic in the wrong forum, happens all the time on boards, few moderators ban for it.
    Generally its threads that get posted in the wrong forum. From what I can work out, this post was in the middle of someone elses thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Boston wrote:

Boston, first off he is a she.

Secondly, there is no need for YOU to pick a fight with everyone who comes along to post in this thread with a possible reason as to why she was banned.

At the end of the day she was banned for whatever reasons and the Mod in question will be with her as soon as they can. Maybe her post was worded terribly and just came across completely the wrong way. Maybe not.... we'll know in a while.

Until then I simply suggest you calm it down a little bit as you coming across as the type of person who sits in feedback waiting for things to jump on people over, which i'm sure you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Originally posted by metrovelvet
    Good morning.

I was posting on a thread about hijab and I had a question about what Islamic feminsit and queer theorists had to say about it. And I was banned.

This morning I was watching a documentary about Islamic lesbians [Im in NYC atm with insomnia] in the US and they werent wearing hijabs, one was wearing no head covering and the other had their head in a skull and cap bandana, and they still considered themselves to be Muslims.

So, I feel this was a genuine question and I was silenced as was the whole dialogue.

Seeing as how the topic is around female dress, it seems more than suitable that someone should investigate what islamic feminist and or queer theory has to say about it, or is that forum far too fundamental for that?

Hobbes already warned people about attacking Islam in that thread, at least two times, and warned that some people could end up taking a holiday; asking the question that metrovelvet asked, especially in light of some earlier references to the sharia and homosexuality, makes it look like it was an invitation to start a flame war...
    ...like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Blowfish wrote:
    Generally its threads that get posted in the wrong forum. From what I can work out, this post was in the middle of someone elses thread.
    Correct. It was a one-line post in the middle of a thread. Where the post is deemed to be trolling, it's more prudent to remove the post, as people will continue to respond to it, dragging the thread off-topic. If a mod is going to remove the post, I'd prefer if it was deleted rather than edited, that way we can still see the details of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

InFront wrote:
    Hobbes already warned people about attacking Islam in that thread, at least two times, and warned that some people could end up taking a holiday; asking the question that metrovelvet asked, especially in light of some earlier references to the sharia and homosexuality, makes it look like it was an invitation to start a flame war...

How is asking a question an attack on Islam?

Although it must be noted I can't see the actual post.

Blowfish wrote:

Banable offense is it?

Dragan: meh, I care not what I come accross as.

InFront: I can see how a rational person would view the topics raised as an attack... really I can.

As sangre said I've not seen the offending posts either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

My personal opinion , not just based on my experience here is that Muslims view questioning as a threat and Questions are rarely answered in the Islam forum. Is it not an inalienable right to question and to be questioned?. So often, including on Boards, Muslims, including Moderators try to pretend that anachronistic passages of the Koran are 'bad translations' (this I have encountered so many times!)...yet no alternative translation is provided. Or these passages are "not the real Islam"....why are certain passges any less the real Islam than others? These questions are never directly answered. I think they are in state of denial as to the contents of the Koran and high levels of paranoia prevail. They have done themselves and their image no favours.

Incidentally is anyone aware of a site where one can have an intelligent, open and above all honest debate on Islam? I'm sure intelligence is not lacking amongst certain figures on the Islam forum...they just leave it at home or somewhere else. They don't bring it with them here

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have never heard of the term "Queer Theory" and it made me reach for the ban stick too though I gave the benefit of the doubt. The whole tone of even THIS thread makes me think the question wasnt out of interest in generating light but rather heat. There is a place for heated debate, its just not in their "home" forum, just as other topics would be off topic in the christianity forum.

What exactly IS queer theory? Is this really an accepted term? (genuine question.../me goes to wikipedia....)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

humanji wrote:
    Looking to get a ban are we?

good job we arent posting the islam forum.

it would be a ban and 40 lashes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement