Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladder Tables for Europe

• 22-03-2007 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

Below are a selection of ladders (partial) of the main leagues in Europe. Its interesting to see the ladder view as this gives a clearer visual viewpoint f the actual points differences rather than the easier to publish list view.

Let me know your thoughts ....

Redspider

England

75 Man Utd
    69 Chelsea
    55 Arsenal
    54 Liverpool
    47 Bolton
    46 Everton
    45 Tottenham

Germany

53 Schalke 04
    50 Werder Bremen
    46 VfB Stuttgart
    44 Bayern Munich
    39 Bayer Leverkusen
    38 Nuremberg

Holland

67 PSV
    62 Ajax
    60 AZ
    58 FC Twente
    49 Feyenoord

Italy

76 Inter Milan
    58 Roma
    49 Lazio
    47 Palermo
    43 AC Milan
    42 Empoli

Spain

53 Barcelona, Sevilla
    48 Real Madrid
    47 Valencia
    46 Real Zaragoza
    43 Atletico Madrid
    41 Recreativo Huelva

France

65 Lyon
    49 Lens
    44 Bordeaux
    43 Lille. Sochaux, Toulouse
    42 St Etienne, Marseille
    41 Le Mans, Auxerre

I'll put up the Scotland one later ......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's the sort of gap opening up I like to see :)
    Chelsea are really quite secure in 2nd place, there really is no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The spanish league really only seems to be the consistent league every year where you could have a potential 5 or 6 teams vying for 1st & 2nd place..

The EPL has been a non-contest and generally has been sorted out by game 30 most years for top 2 and the rest I couldn't give a monkeys about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Lex Luthor wrote:
    The spanish league really only seems to be the consistent league every year where you could have a potential 5 or 6 teams vying for 1st & 2nd place..

The EPL has been a non-contest and generally has been sorted out by game 30 most years for top 2 and the rest I couldn't give a monkeys about
    Thats pants! Last year Barca cruised through their league campaign and ended up 12 points ahead of 2nd place. The year before Barca won by 4 pts from Madrid who were a further 15 points ahead of 3rd. Some of you lot think that the Spanish league is flawless and is light years ahead of the Premier League. Take of the rose tinted glasses lads.

Anyway, nice ladders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't get them.

What are they based on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Looking at the leaue tables in Europe I was surprised at some of the BIG name teams in trouble, Parma in Italy, Bilbao and Sociedad in Spain, Dortmund and Hamburg in Germany but most amazingly PSG 19th in the French league, this would be the equivalent of Arsenal/Liverpool or Man Utd struggling in the premiership they must be in a right mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

seansouth wrote:
    I don't get them.

What are they based on?
    Each point is a step in the ladder, so you can see the physical difference between teams.

I can see that by looking at a league table.

I don't need it spelled out to me.

Anyway, the 'physical difference'? WTF does that mean?

Manchester United are in Manchester, Chelsea are in London, the physical difference would be the distance, no?
    Let me know your thoughts ....
    My thoughts are that anyone who needs lego bricks to read a league table has something seriously deficient in the cranial space.

It's a silly waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's a silly waste of time.

If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.
    I for one, really like seeing the league in that format. It's sometimes easy to overlook the gaps by just looking at a numerical representation, the physical difference in terms of a point ladder really highlights some things you kinda of overlook normally.

PHB wrote:
    If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.
    Did the OP not ask for thoughts?

Does that mean only positive thoughts can be posted? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

seansouth wrote:
    I don't need it spelled out to me.
    Well maybe this comment threw me:
    seansouth wrote:
    I don't get them.

• Advertisement

I meant that I can see the points difference by looking at a normal league table.

What I don't get is why there are these huge numbered spaces between the names of clubs. I know what numbers come between 56 and 62, and I know the difference between them. I'm not four years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Pighead wrote:
    Thats pants! Last year Barca cruised through their league campaign and ended up 12 points ahead of 2nd place. The year before Barca won by 4 pts from Madrid who were a further 15 points ahead of 3rd. Some of you lot think that the Spanish league is flawless and is light years ahead of the Premier League. Take of the rose tinted glasses lads.

Anyway, nice ladders.
    jaysus pighead, we dont hear from you in months and as soon as you start to climb the FF league, you're out from under your rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

It's nice to see the leagues laid out like this..

It's good to see how the last 8 in Europe are fairing in their respective leagues..

In England the 4 clubs are in the top 4, albeit having varying luck this season, with only 2 of them with the chance of winning the league.
    In Spain, Valencia, the only club left is 4th and still in with a shout of winning the league.
    In Italy, Roma are 2nd, but Inter seem to have that league tied up.
    In Germany, Bayern are 4th, 9 points off the lead, not insurmountable, but unlikely.
    In Holland, PSV are leading by 5 points, but after suffering a humiliating defeat to 2nd place Ajax recently.

Makes for some interesting reading, and it will be even more interesting to see how the European commitments of the clubs mentioned above affect the rest of their league season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Pighead wrote:

Anyway, nice ladders.

Totally agree. Real are a complete joke and would struggle to get into the top 4 in the premier league yet they can still hold third in Spain. Sevilla have thrown away numerous chances of taking a lead at the top and Barca are still there without playing well all season. Watch them pull away now that Etoo is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Lex Luthor wrote:
    jaysus pighead, we dont hear from you in months and as soon as you start to climb the FF league, you're out from under your rock
    Pigheads starting to climb the fantasy footie table alright. Leaving you and many others in my wake. If we set up a fantasy football league ladder,the spaces between me and your goodself ould be vast.
    Listen pal, no offence but I'm just sick of all this glorification of the Spanish game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In other news, "Offside rule explained usinng plasticine"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

BaZmO* wrote:
    In other news, "Offside rule explained usinng plasticine"

oh lord, that did make me snort my tea donw my nose!

im thinking of morph from that tv program hartbeat with tony hart :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, I can see that the ladder views have caused some unexpected debate. The less said the better perhaps.

> but most amazingly PSG 19th in the French league, this would be the equivalent of Arsenal/Liverpool or Man Utd struggling in the premiership they must be in a right mess.

Yeah, this is a big shock alright and even though they have been playing well in some games the results are going against them. Its not exactly like an Arsenal or a Liverpool going down imo, but more like a Newcastle as PSG have lost some lucre over many seasons. Its not an implosion of a big club. PSG have the potential to be a big club though, as have St Etienne. French football is a sleeping giant in many ways.

Here are some more tables, for those that want to look at them. For those that don't, "look away now":

Scotland
    74 Celtic
    61 Rangers
    54 Aberdeen
    48 Hearts
    43 Hibs, Kilmarnock

England Relegation Battle
    34 Aston Villa, Fulham
    33 Man City, Wigan
    31 Sheff Utd
    27 Charlton
    23 West Ham
    20 Watford

England - 2nd tier
    73 Derby
    71 Birmingham
    70 Sunderland
    68 Preston
    66 Wolverhampton
    64 West Brom
    63 Cardiff
    60 Southampton
    58 Stoke
    56 Colchester

The bottom of that table is also a tight race and worth a look at:
    41 Burnley, Hull, Barnsley
    40 QPR
    39 Southend
    36 Luton, Leeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Wow, that ladder is really boring and pointless. Much like this post.

Advertisement