Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 Speed Camera??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Traumadoc wrote:
    Are there plans to put speed cameras in wheelie bins as they are doing in Australia
    http://aussieexotics.com/category/speed-cameras/

The story is at the bottom of the web page.

Don't know about here yet, but the Americans are putting speed cameras in cheery pickers on the side of the road. Looks like a person working on a street lights but no its a cop with a speed gun! They are hidding in all sorts of places/vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

The southbound M50 camera is up, seen it this morning. At the Lucan exit. Yeah, the white lines are bit difficult to see.

I'd say the few of us here are the only ones to stick to the limit on the M50 through the works. The amount of people who whizz past me while I'm doing 60km. I had a lorry right up my ar$e a few weeks ago on a Sunday. There was feck all traffic and I was in the normal left hand lane. There was nothing in the overtaking lane and he still was right up on top of me. I thought I was going to have to pull my seat forward in case he needed extra leg room in the back.

He was uncomfotably close so I flashed my brake lights at him. He starts flashing like mad at me! Like I was doing something wrong. He was the one tailgating! Muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tauren wrote:
    erm - how is it? I said no motorbike rider i have SEEN on the m50 obeys the rules of the road.
    You're trying to wriggle out of it, but it's exactly the same thing. You're making a slur on a whole group of people based on your claims of observing certain behaviour from a small subset of them.

And that is the truth, every single one of them has been speeding. I do the speed limit in every section of the m50 and i have never once overtook or kept pace with a bike. Never. That is a simply fact. Don't try and compare it to a racist comment.
    If there was a bike 2 cars ahead of you, or 2 cars behind you, doing exactly the same speed as you then you'd never see it, you would never pass it, and it would never pass you. So the only bikes you see are the ones overtaking you, therefore you conclude that all motorcyclists break the law :rolleyes:

Why are you picking on bikers anyway? Most car drivers break the rules of the road on the M50 - speeding, failing to indicate and observe properly when changing lane, failing to yield when merging, tailgating, provisional licence rules, and many more. Yet out of all this anarchy you choose to pick on motorcyclists alone, and claim that they're all lawbreakers when that is simply not true.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ninja900 wrote:
    You're trying to wriggle out of it, but it's exactly the same thing. You're making a slur on a whole group of people based on your claims of observing certain behaviour from a small subset of them.

If there was a bike 2 cars ahead of you, or 2 cars behind you, doing exactly the same speed as you then you'd never see it, you would never pass it, and it would never pass you. So the only bikes you see are the ones overtaking you, therefore you conclude that all motorcyclists break the law :rolleyes:

Why are you picking on bikers anyway? Most car drivers break the rules of the road on the M50 - speeding, failing to indicate and observe properly when changing lane, failing to yield when merging, tailgating, provisional licence rules, and many more. Yet out of all this anarchy you choose to pick on motorcyclists alone, and claim that they're all lawbreakers when that is simply not true.
    whatever, not point continuing this. we are not going to agree.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tauren wrote:
    If some riders obeyed the rules, i would have said most i have seen haven't. If most i saw did obey the rules of the road i wouldn't have said anything. However, it is FACT that i have NEVER seen a motorbike not breaking the speed limit on the m50.
    If you were to examine it properly, you would find that 99.9% of M50 users do something to break the rules, whether it is not being in the correct lane, speeding (even just a little bit), driving too close to the car in front or whatever.
    The majority of bikers that I see on the M50 are no different but I do not consider them to be driving dangerously or inconvienencing others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Ay Cee wrote:
    The southbound M50 camera is up, seen it this morning. At the Lucan exit. Yeah, the white lines are bit difficult to see.

The big 60km/h signs are a lot easier to see:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Just a quick question if the speed camera on the M 50 :rolleyes: is working is there not suppose to be a flash after u pass it or is this just at night ???

and were is the other speed camera is it at the Toll bridge ????

would some clever clog draw a map of the m50 so we can see were the speed cameras are lol

They flash when they catch cars speeding, day or night.

The locations of the 3 M50 cameras are:
    Northbound:
    1. just after traffic merges from Tallaght and the road works start. Speed Limit = 60 km/h
    2. about 200m before the speed limit drops as you approach the M1 slip road - it is roughly over the old airport road at santry. Speed Limit = 120km/h
    Soouthbound:
    1. (I haven't seen it as I won't use the toll bridge) Under the N4 flyover. Speed Limit = 60 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I think these are the new GATSO speed cameras that can work at night too. Shouldn't they have warning signs before them??? If an accident happened because people braked too hard you could sue the state for gross negligence. Another point, are these the new private ones? If they are, they wont give you any leeway, like a Garda might, these private a$sholes are in it for the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

is there a camera just before the toll bridge going southbound? i was approaching the bridge last night going about 70 and could have sworn i seen a flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

maoleary wrote:
    I think these are the new GATSO speed cameras that can work at night too. Shouldn't they have warning signs before them??? If an accident happened because people braked too hard you could sue the state for gross negligence. Another point, are these the new private ones? If they are, they wont give you any leeway, like a Garda might, these private a$sholes are in it for the money

Big electronic sign before the one at Tallaght. "Warning speed camera in operation" along side the sign already telling motorists to slow down to 60km.
    They'll probably stick up one of those signs with the picture of a camera on it but if you can't see the 2 huge electronic signs and don't slow down in time,well though shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

They'll probably stick up one of those signs with the picture of a camera on it

They'll have to, as they can't legally prosecute anyone for speeding without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Keith C wrote:
    Just got an email reading below:

Speed Camera appeared on M50 last night. Same as the 2 cameras near to

the Airport. Lines put on the road last night, pole and bracket for

Camera is standing. Expect the Camera itself to be up tonight!

Camera is positioned going Northbound just after Tallaght junction where

the cars merge.

This is the point at which the current roadworks start, there are big

signs up for 60 km/h.

Anyone notice it this morning?

No big deal, sure there's a 'FOR SALE' sign on them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

testicle wrote:
    They'll have to, as they can't legally prosecute anyone for speeding without them.

Why can't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Pataman wrote:
    Why can't they?

Obviously enough because fixed speed camers have to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

kbannon wrote:
    1. (I haven't seen it as I won't use the toll bridge) Under the N4 flyover. Speed Limit = 60 km/h

It's not under the N4 bridge, it's before that, just as you come off the toll bridge heading southbound, on the left before you come to the slip road for the N4

maoleary wrote:
    The flash would get you from behind and shouldn't affect oncoming traffic. I often saw cameras going off on the M50 and N4 at nighttime - were these night-time operable or did the street lighting affect them?
    As for accidents - whilst there is anecdotal evidence that there are increases in incidents adjacent to cameras, the cameras don't cause these - dozy drivers not paying attention or driving too close do!
    Anyhow, how are the state eing negligent by trying to enforce the law in getting people to drive slowly and more safely?
    tabatha wrote:
    is there a camera just before the toll bridge going southbound? i was approaching the bridge last night going about 70 and could have sworn i seen a flash.
    Not that I know of and you would presumably have been under the 120km/h speed limit
    testicle wrote:
    Source? How do they manage prosecutions using hand held devices, talivans and mobile patrols without advance warning signage?
    testicle wrote:
    Obviously enough because fixed speed camers have to have them.
    source?
    It's not under the N4 bridge, it's before that, just as you come off the toll bridge heading southbound, on the left before you come to the slip road for the N4
    I did say that i hadn't seen it and was going from another post in this thread. Anyhow, thanks for the clarification.

kbannon wrote:
    The locations of the 3 M50 cameras are:

Don't forget about the one along side the Ballymun slip heading southbound. So 4 in total.:)

Drove past the one at Tallaght this evening,within the limit:D ,but a good few cars flew past well over 60kph but didn't see the camera flashing. Just wondering if it's actually active yet?? Saw the bloke on friday working on it and the little box a few feet away.

The one at Ballymun was removed and seemingly placed at one of the two new locations.

kbannon wrote:
    The one at Ballymun was removed and seemingly placed at one of the two new locations.

LOL:D :D I apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

faolteam wrote:
    would some clever clog draw a map of the m50 so we can see were the speed cameras are lol
    I've marked them in Blue. They're within a couple of feet of these markers (needless to say, they're on the left hand side of the road on both cases (google maps co-ordinates differences).

Have a lookey here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Don't forget about the one along side the Ballymun slip heading southbound. So 4 in total.:)

Drove past the one at Tallaght this evening,within the limit:D ,but a good few cars flew past well over 60kph but didn't see the camera flashing. Just wondering if it's actually active yet?? Saw the bloke on friday working on it and the little box a few feet away.

Dont think so I was driving at the exact location myself and doing 80kph (20kph over the limit) last night around 2am and a few other cars around me were doing the same and I didnt see any flashes thank god, will have to stick to the limit now I suppose.

I've marked them in Blue. They're within a couple of feet of these markers (needless to say, they're on the left hand side of the road on both cases (google maps co-ordinates differences).

Have a lookey here..
    According to that map there is no camera heading towards the M1 but there is a red flag (garda platform) there. You also have the camera at Ballymun which I think someone said had been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

kbannon wrote:
    According to that map there is no camera heading towards the M1 but there is a red flag (garda platform) there. You also have the camera at Ballymun which I think someone said had been removed.
    I've only been updating them as I pass them.. If you can tell me which platform is actually a camera, I'll update it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

wish i read this thread yesterday...

think i got caught by that one just after the tallaght off-ramp tonight, coming home from bray at ~2am, no cars around at all so doing about 80k, didnt see it flash, but ill be expecting the points & fine anyway just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

tabatha wrote:

Yes, only on the side for traffic heading south

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

kbannon wrote:
    How do they manage prosecutions using hand held devices, talivans and mobile patrols without advance warning signage?source?

I think in most cases they have set location where they use the handheld devices and the vans.

In general I have found that these location are covered by signs. I am sure you have noticed speed camera warning signs where there are no cameras. My understanding is that these are to cover the mobile systems which may operate from time to time in those areas.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't think the Southbound one was active on Sunday morning. I was heading past at 60 and a car flew by me with no flash. And if as said they have taken the camera from Ballymum then it's the old type that flashes.

If they are using an old camera, does that mean they still only have the same amount as before and therefore the chances are that one of the boxes is empty and just flashes? Not going to chance it anyway, as they may have both boxes loaded. Fish in a barrel;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

MrPudding wrote:
    In general I have found that these location are covered by signs. I am sure you have noticed speed camera warning signs where there are no cameras. My understanding is that these are to cover the mobile systems which may operate from time to time in those areas.

MrP

There are lots of mobile locations that are not covered by speed signs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

There are lots of mobile locations that are not covered by speed signs

There is no such sign in the whole of the county of Cork that i know of. We have plenty of mobile locations though!

I don't see why a sign is required either. The idea is that if you break the limit you are in peril of getting caught. Its like saying you can shoplift unless you see a sign "shoplifters will be prosecuted".

Advertisement