Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 Speed Camera??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

kerbdog wrote:
    Yes, only on the side for traffic heading south

everone is saying that this camera is after the toll bridge and not before it?? which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

tabatha wrote:
    everone is saying that this camera is after the toll bridge and not before it?? which is it?

after toll southbound i think

quarryman wrote:
    after toll southbound i think

thats where i seen it, i had just asked if there was also one before the toll, on the northside of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

maidhc wrote:
    There is no such sign in the whole of the county of Cork that i know of. We have plenty of mobile locations though!

I don't see why a sign is required either. The idea is that if you break the limit you are in peril of getting caught. Its like saying you can shoplift unless you see a sign "shoplifters will be prosecuted".
    The signs are required due to EU law preventing governments from spying on their citizens arbitrarily. As an EU citizen, you have the right to know when you are being filmed by any government authority, and hence the signs have to be put in place. I'm not sure how the mobile vans get around this. I would imagine that there's some clause stating that mobile units can be licensed to photograph you, or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Just as a matter of interest, have you a source for this statement. There are lots of traffic cameras around the m50 and I havent seen any signs to that effect.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the speed cameras were operating this weekend? Reckon i might have been nabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Pataman wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest, have you a source for this statement. There are lots of traffic cameras around the m50 and I havent seen any signs to that effect.
    I have to admit - I originally heard that point raised in a TV interview which I'm unable to reference. However, a letter from the UK Transport Secretary states the following:
    http://www.slower-speeds.org.uk/prjune02.htm
    · All cameras (whether fixed or mobile) must be highly visible. This includes painting camera housings yellow and ensuring they are not hidden behind trees, signs or bushes. Mobile camera operators must wear reflective clothing and use specially marked vehicles. In all cases, signs must be placed before the site and signs may only be placed in areas where cameras are present. The precise locations of all speed cameras will be published.

· Cameras will only be installed where strict casualty criteria are met. For example, for fixed sites, it appears that at least 4 killings or serious injuries (KSI) must have happened over a 1km stretch of road in the previous 3 years before a camera may be sited.

· Speed limits may not be enforced using any existing, or new, partnership cameras unless it can be shown that these particular siting and visibility requirements are met in all cases.

Wikipedia also gives the following information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road-rule_enforcement_camera
    In the UK, every speed camera must be calibrated and certified before the images from it are acceptable to the court, including the cameras used in police vehicles. Several speeding prosecutions have failed in the UK due to out of date calibration certificates.

The pictures taken by road-rule enforcement cameras must usually be viewed by a person before any infringement notice or ticket is issued to the driver, and judged to be satisfactory or not. This step is known as verification, and is a standard legal requirement in nearly all jurisdictions. Verifiers typically must check some or all of the following:
    that there is no sign of interference with the vehicle detector by objects other than the alleged speeding vehicle,
    that the licence plate is unambiguously readable according to a legal standard,
    that the make and model of vehicle matches that recorded by the licensing authority for the number plate,

and in some jurisdictions
    that the appearance of the driver in the images is adequate in some way - for example, that it matches the picture on the driving licence of the vehicle's registered owner.

In most jurisdictions, verification is carried out by the police force, although in many places it is carried out by private companies on a fixed-price basis under close police supervision. Generally, cameras must undergo approval testing and operational testing to ensure that they function adequately. In the United States, it is common for all installation, operation, and verification procedures to be carried out by private companies that receive payment based on the number of infringements they issue, and often under no testing regime whatsoever.

Depending on the number of things that need to be identified in the images and the quality of the camera equipment, somewhere between 35% and 80% of infringements result in a notice being issued to the owner of the vehicle. A legal requirement for driver identification reduces the prosecuting rate dramatically.

The Wikipedia article itself contains links to several relevant governmental sites. I'll leave you to reference them yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mr_angry wrote:
    The signs are required due to EU law preventing governments from spying on their citizens arbitrarily. As an EU citizen, you have the right to know when you are being filmed by any government authority, and hence the signs have to be put in place. I'm not sure how the mobile vans get around this. I would imagine that there's some clause stating that mobile units can be licensed to photograph you, or some such.

The only possibly relevant law is the Data Protection Act (which implements a particular EU directive.) It doesn't require any signs for either mobile or fixed speed cameras though, due to various exceptions. The government in Ireland does far more invasive things too than operate speed cameras!

You are on the road to nowhere though if you try to get of a speeding conviction on human rights grounds. When you drive, you have far less privacy than when you engage in most other pursuits. Indeed the UK are introducing a countrywide automatic numberplate recognition system across all their speed (the more correct name nowadays being ""safety"") cameras and CCTV systems. This will allow any car be tracked across the country.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mr_angry wrote:
    I have to admit - I originally heard that point raised in a TV interview which I'm unable to reference. However, a letter from the UK Transport Secretary states the following:
    http://www.slower-speeds.org.uk/prjune02.htm

Wikipedia also gives the following information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road-rule_enforcement_camera

The Wikipedia article itself contains links to several relevant governmental sites. I'll leave you to reference them yourselves.
    None of which refer to Irish law!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Does anyone know if southbound one after toll bridge is operational yet? think i was doing about 70kph, but a truck was in my way to be caught i think....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I don't know if its been mentioned in this thread yet, but I noticed this morning driving north on the M50 that the new speed camera is placed so the 60kph sign is halfway up the camera-lines on the road. Are they intending to catch people going over 120 kph (the speed limit before the 60kph signs) or people going over 60kph.

They are looking for trouble if they are trying to catch people going over 60kph as half of the evidence is collected in a 120kph zone.

Doesn't the speed limit decrease to 50km/h as you approach the toll bridge and AFAIK doesn't increase above that until the roadworks?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,769 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you sure about that?

I drive up that way every morning, and i am certain both the north and south bound cameras are within the 60mph zone - and a good bit into it too. you could enter the 60kph zone at 120 and you easily have enough time to get the car back down to the correct speed before

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

quarryman wrote:
    Does anyone know if the speed cameras were operating this weekend? Reckon i might have been nabbed.
    Does anyone know if southbound one after toll bridge is operational yet? think i was doing about 70kph, but a truck was in my way to be caught i think.....

You would have seen it flash at you if it was operational, it's only a matter of time so be careful. They generally leave a camera a week or 2 before they activate it in my experience.

Sparks400 wrote:
    You would have seen it flash at you if it was operational, it's only a matter of time so be careful. They generally leave a camera a week or 2 before they activate it in my experience.

cheers. I actually went by agin last night and saw a number of cars flying past it well over 60kh and no flash.

Tauren wrote:
    you sure about that?

I drive up that way every morning, and i am certain both the north and south bound cameras are within the 60mph zone - and a good bit into it too. you could enter the 60kph zone at 120 and you easily have enough time to get the car back down to the correct speed before

I'm sure that there was a large (ususally meaning a change in speed limit) temporary 60kph sign right in the middle of the lines. Maybe there is another set of 60kph signs before those ones that I missed - you tend to not pay too much attention to the speed signs when in 1st gear.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

had some crazy fooker fly up at ridiculous speed as i approached the camera at 60Kmh. I tapped on my break to warn him to slow down, but no, he screeched on his breaks at the last minute. I managed to get back on the driving lane (as there had been a truck there) and he flew past me beeping at around 100kmh. Pretty sure he got flashed. Good. fupping tosser!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 supertrooper

quarryman wrote:
    cheers. I actually went by agin last night and saw a number of cars flying past it well over 60kh and no flash.

hey quarryman what was the speed camera you went by, was it the one after the toll bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

mr_angry wrote:

For any mobile speed checks they're suposed to publish a warning in the local newspaper... i.e. a mobile speed check in meath would be anouched the week before in the meath cronical ect... it would usually be somewhere like around the obituary section... where not many people would read.

I don't know if its been mentioned in this thread yet, but I noticed this morning driving north on the M50 that the new speed camera is placed so the 60kph sign is halfway up the camera-lines on the road. Are they intending to catch people going over 120 kph (the speed limit before the 60kph signs) or people going over 60kph.

They are looking for trouble if they are trying to catch people going over 60kph as half of the evidence is collected in a 120kph zone.
    checked on the way in this morning, the camera is almost exactly a half mile after the first 60kph sign.

• Advertisement

mr_angry wrote:
    source?
    hobochris wrote:
    For any mobile speed checks they're suposed to publish a warning in the local newspaper... i.e. a mobile speed check in meath would be anouched the week before in the meath cronical ect... it would usually be somewhere like around the obituary section... where not many people would read.
    source?

Tauren wrote:
    checked on the way in this morning, the camera is almost exactly a half mile after the first 60kph sign.
    Yup, I must have missed the first set of signs.

hey quarryman what was the speed camera you went by, was it the one after the toll bridge?

no the other one, northbound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

kbannon wrote:
    source?
    source?
    I think people on boards watch too much British and American TV and think the rules there apply here

these cameras were put on the m50 because apparently the workmen were threaten to stop work as it was so dangerous with the speed of the cars flying by.

Can anyone tell me if the camera thats before the roundabout at chapolizod (the road that runs from palmerstown to hueston station) is a speed camera or a red light camera?

the new speed camera's at the roadworks will become effective on April 2nd.

is there a south bound one? I thought they were putting one up (there is a pole with something on top of it, covered in a black bag, but it seems too small) but i have not seen any white lines on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

hobochris wrote:
    For any mobile speed checks they're suposed(sic) to publish(sic) a warning in the local newspaper... i.e. a mobile speed check in meath(sic) would be anouched(sic) the week before in the meath(sic) cronical(sic2) ect(sic)... it would usually be somewhere like around the obituary section... where not many people would read.

Absolute bullsh*t, my friend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tabatha wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if the camera thats before the roundabout at chapolizod (the road that runs from palmerstown to hueston station) is a speed camera or a red light camera?

That's a red light camera. I haven't seen it flash in years though...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

hobochris
    For any mobile speed checks they're suposed(sic) to publish(sic) a warning in the local newspaper... i.e. a mobile speed check in meath(sic) would be anouched(sic) the week before in the meath(sic) cronical(sic2) ect(sic)... it would usually be somewhere like around the obituary section... where not many people would read.

Absolute bullsh*t, my friend!!

What's the story with putting (sic) after every second word?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What's the story with putting (sic) after every second word?

It's standard notation used to call attention to a quoted error (spelling etc.) and signifies that the error is in the original statement as opposed to an error in quoting.

Advertisement