Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 Speed Camera??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Fine if you're writing or quoting a formal article but it's totally redundant when you're using the vBulletin quote feature to quote something that's a few posts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

It's standard notation used to call attention to a quoted error (spelling etc.) and signifies that the error is in the original statement as opposed to an error in quoting.
    I know what it means, my point is why does he feel the need to point out everyone's spelling errors. The "Originally Posted by hobochris" makes it very obvious it was hobochris who made the spelling mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The "Originally Posted by hobochris" makes it very obvious it was hobochris who made the spelling mistakes.

Indeed. Now back on topic please

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

interesting how the signs for the camera's say April 2nd. The one at the toll bridge has flashed. Ive seen it myself. THere were also two guards at the other one today, with a speed camera!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

well according to a garda friend they are going live on monday. This is apparently in conjunction with a gatso an and another mobile unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Speed cameras on the M50 - all I can say is GOOD !

I drive either an MX5 or an MGB on that road and generally at the 60kph limit, and most of the time feel I'm going to be decapitated by some some tw@t driving over the top of me from behind.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

kbannon wrote:
    well according to a garda friend they are going live on monday. This is apparently in conjunction with a gatso an and another mobile unit.

hmm could it b possible that just the flash is live? Is the gatso and mobile unit being stationed on the m50 too? Ive nearly been squashed by several trucks recently who were gonig around 80k. Then the b@stards stay in the overtaking lane ("fast" lane :D:D ) even when the speed increases.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

antodeco wrote:
    hmm could it b possible that just the flash is live? Is the gatso and mobile unit being stationed on the m50 too? Ive nearly been squashed by several trucks recently who were gonig around 80k. Then the b@stards stay in the overtaking lane ("fast" lane :D:D ) even when the speed increases.

presumably there is a testing period where they ensure everything is working correctly before they 'go live' and start processing fines and points. The cameras are probably working fully at the moment just not 'live'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

There are signs on the M50 tonight saying the cameras will be live on April 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

franksm wrote:
    Speed cameras on the M50 - all I can say is GOOD !

I drive either an MX5 or an MGB on that road and generally at the 60kph limit, and most of the time feel I'm going to be decapitated by some some tw@t driving over the top of me from behind.

Get a bigger car so ;P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

saucer of milk to ailse 5

there are big signs everywhere saying the cameras are going live tomorrow. cant blame them putting them up. the workmen on that road really are taking there lives in there hands going to work everyday with idiots driving like loons over the limit. the amount of pot holes on the road alone warrent the speed drop. roll on the fines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

tabatha wrote:
    saucer of milk to ailse 5

there are big signs everywhere saying the cameras are going live tomorrow. cant blame them putting them up. the workmen on that road really are taking there lives in there hands going to work everyday with idiots driving like loons over the limit. the amount of pot holes on the road alone warrent the speed drop. roll on the fines :D

In all fairness, that comment is a disgraceful display of ignorance. The problem people have is the fish in a barrel rollout of these machines. We would love to see more of these on non-national secondary and rural roads, where lives are actually lost. The most dangerous roads will never have a speed camera, the majority will go where the maximum revenue can be generated.

Not to mention that we wouldn't mind the speed limits at the roadworks if they were variable and sensible. The 60 kph limit is obscene IMHO.

Sorry if that was a bit of a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

maoleary wrote:
    In all fairness, that comment is a disgraceful display of ignorance. The problem people have is the fish in a barrel rollout of these machines. We would love to see more of these on non-national secondary and rural roads, where lives are actually lost. The most dangerous roads will never have a speed camera, the majority will go where the maximum revenue can be generated.

Not to mention that we wouldn't mind the speed limits at the roadworks if they were variable and sensible. The 60 kph limit is obscene IMHO.

Just because a particular law being broken is widespread doesnt mean it should be ignored. If the gards put an unmarked car outside a bank that was robbed every week, and started catching robbers, would that be shooting fish in a barrel.

Principle is the same, the gards cant catch people breaking laws unless they break them.

Maybe someone needs to post a link to the thread with the civic that took off on the m50 and flanded on its roof down the road after it hit the barriers.

As for speed cameras on dangerous country roads? how many crashes do you think there would be with people coming round bends to be greeted with someone breaking heavily having just noticed a speed camera?It might be their own fault for going to fast but we dont need to be contributing to accidents.
    maoleary wrote:
    Not to mention that we wouldn't mind the speed limits at the roadworks if they were variable and sensible. The 60 kph limit is obscene IMHO..

I'd imagine a couple of shifts digging a hole 5 or 6 feet from 70-80mph traffic would change that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

electronic signs on M50 today stating that new speed camera will be in operation from tomorrow ( 2nd April)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

electronic signs on M50 today stating that new speed camera will be in operation from tomorrow ( 2nd April)

maybe it's an April fools joke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Tauren wrote:
    erm - how is it? I said no motorbike rider i have SEEN on the m50 obeys the rules of the road. And that is the truth, every single one of them has been speeding. I do the speed limit in every section of the m50 and i have never once overtook or kept pace with a bike. Never. That is a simply fact. Don't try and compare it to a racist comment.

My comment was fair comment.

If some riders obeyed the rules, i would have said most i have seen haven't. If most i saw did obey the rules of the road i wouldn't have said anything. However, it is FACT that i have NEVER seen a motorbike not breaking the speed limit on the m50.
    ah but there could be loads driving at the limit. if you're going the limit and they are too, your paths will never meet. you only see the ones that are breaking the limit. so there :p

maoleary wrote:

the only ignorance is on your part. the m50 (where the road works are happening) at the moment is very dangerous. there are men on the side of the road working and cars and lorrys are shooting past, some at 120 kmph. there are limits there at the moment for a reason. to say that the limit is obscene makes you one very ignorant fool. have you driven on the road? have you seen these men on the side of it working? have you driven in any of the potholes? i think a bit of common sense is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I agree that the speed limits must be lowered during roadworks, especially with large site vehicles merging again from the side works. This is where an intelligent variable limit system (e.g. Australia, the US etc) can be utilised to slow traffic down below even 60 kph temporarily to allow cars to pass through. Please remember that sections of the N22 (awful road that it is) which links Killarney to Macroom is 100 kph all the way around S and U bends. There is no reason in my opinion that drivers can't drive at 80 kph at the M50 roadworks if some intelligent speed limit system was implemented.

I admit I was wrong in my earlier comment to think that 120 kph could be appropriate there. My apologies

maoleary wrote:
    I agree that the speed limits must be lowered during roadworks, especially with large site vehicles merging again from the side works. This is where an intelligent variable limit system (e.g. Australia, the US etc) can be utilised to slow traffic down below even 60 kph temporarily to allow cars to pass through. Please remember that sections of the N22 (awful road that it is) which links Killarney to Macroom is 100 kph all the way around S and U bends. There is no reason in my opinion that drivers can't drive at 80 kph at the M50 roadworks if some intelligent speed limit system was implemented.

I admit I was wrong in my earlier comment to think that 120 kph could be appropriate there. My apologies

fair play

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The camera just before the lucan turn off south bound was news to me tonight. I spotted it coming doen from lucan going north bound and it was flashing so much they may as well have left the light on!

Came back south bound and slowed right down but plenty of people were plowing through it at speed, I could see it flashing away as I headed up the slip road.

• Advertisement

I think I heard on the news that it's not fully operational yet. It might be flashing without film in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stark wrote:
    I think I heard on the news that it's not fully operational yet. It might be flashing without film in it.

Could anyone confirm this? Two family members got flashed in the last 30 minutes or so on the northbound fixed gatso camera after the Tallaght exit

Both were doing about 70-80km/h

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

unkel wrote:
    Could anyone confirm this? Two family members got flashed in the last 30 minutes or so on the northbound fixed gatso camera after the Tallaght exit

Both were doing about 70-80km/h

didn't hear the news, but signs were saying they were operational from today. can't see anything online saying different and the AA site says they are operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

probably ok

"Signs had advised motorist the two cameras would be operational from today but it is now believed they will be up and running by the end of the week"

quote from todays news on rte website

http://www.rte.ie/pda/news/2007/0402/1134293.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Those speed camera warning signs are there now.

Yes those ones, without whose presence, I said no one could be legally prosecuted for speeding after being caught by a fixed speed camera. Yes, the same ones that everyone ridiculed me over! :biggrin:

You've in no way been proven right...

Quoting a piece of Irish law would be more convincing than "Hahaha! It's there! Therefore, it must be there by legal requirement! In your face!"

Following common practice is not the same as following a legal requirement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

testicle wrote:
    Those speed camera warning signs are there now.

Yes those ones, without whose presence, I said no one could be legally prosecuted for speeding after being caught by a fixed speed camera. Yes, the same ones that everyone ridiculed me over! :biggrin:

Sorry but even for a fixed camera the gov don't have to have signs up and yes you can still be done if the signs aren't there!! The thing about the signs is to prove that people actually don't observe all around them while driving because if they did then then would have seen the sign, slowed down and not be caught speeding!! People have known for weeks the cameras were there and last night the flashes were unreal, meaning people don't give a crap about the limits unless they get caught and get points then they give out about it as a revenue generating exercise!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The signs are about making you slow down over a larger stretch of road, there all about cyutting your speens and not about actually waning you about the speed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

My girlfriend was driving on the M50 South-Bound this morning sticking to the 60kmh and almost every car/truck was flashing her and beeping her to go faster. Those new camera's are gonna cause mayhem I'd say when they get fully operational. She's going to go the longer way in future to avoid the M50. The cameras could push more traffic onto the other roads. I totally 100% agree with the cameras btw

• Advertisement

If the cameras catch **** like the ones who are flashing/beeping people who keep to the limit, then I can't wait for them to start working.

Advertisement