Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 Speed Camera??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I drive an awful lot on the M50, and stick to the temp limit.. but I've never been flashed or beeped.. people just move to the overtaking lane and go on their merry way...
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't know what these people are doing when they're getting flashed or beeped. Ever since this limit came in I adhere to it and never have once been flashed or beeped, nor have I seen anyone receiving this treatment, in fact I find alot of traffic sits behind or infront of me at the same speed.

Now the only conclusion I can think of is that the people getting flashed or beeped are those that sit in the outside lane and think that because they're at the limit they don't have to go any faster or move out of peoples way who want to speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Jip wrote:
    Now the only conclusion I can think of is that the people getting flashed or beeped are those that sit in the outside lane and think that because they're at the limit they don't have to go any faster or move out of peoples way who want to speed.

My thoughts exactly, iv only ever seen people flashed or beeped if there doing this.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

stephen p wrote:
    My girlfriend was driving on the M50 South-Bound this morning sticking to the 60kmh and almost every car/truck was flashing her and beeping her to go faster. Those new camera's are gonna cause mayhem I'd say when they get fully operational. She's going to go the longer way in future to avoid the M50. The cameras could push more traffic onto the other roads. I totally 100% agree with the cameras btw

wsa she sitting in the overtaking lane? I've never seen anyon flashing or beeping at anyone doing the limit in the roadworks in the inside lane..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

NeMiSiS wrote:
    I drive an awful lot on the M50, and stick to the temp limit.. but I've never been flashed or beeped.. people just move to the overtaking lane and go on their merry way...
    TK

Likewise. I wonder was the posters girlfriend in the overtaking lane, and if so she deserved to be flashed and beeped...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭pob1

Got flashed by it last night at 23:30 coming home from work (Tallaght exit Northbound)!
    I was behind another guy doing about 70Kph and saw him get flashed , slowed down but not enough.

I have to agree with the limit to ensure the safety of the workmen builidng the new lanes but there was no-one working at that time and only my car and the car in front for a mile in front and behind !

And whats was really annoying was the flashing sign just after the camera telling me that the cameras are now in operation - talk about rubing salt in the wounds!

Is there any place you can find out exactly how many people this camera has caught ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Was driving passed it today and it flashed the car beside me .9i was doing around 58, he was doing around 70) My only concern is, and apologies if its a silly question, how do they know which car was speeding. If they get the picture, im in the "middle" lane, he was in the overtaking lane in the same pic..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

most likely neither of you will be ticketed.

The vast majority of the pic's taken by the camera's are binned, as technicalities can be raised quiet easily with most of them (your example being a perfect one), and the Gardai don't have the resources to chase everyone in court, only for the case to be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Just looking at this thread and the other speed camera thread & both are persistently at the top of the Motors section. Imagine what this forum will be like when we have hundreds of these things in the next year or too!!

antodeco wrote:
    Was driving passed it today and it flashed the car beside me .9i was doing around 58, he was doing around 70) My only concern is, and apologies if its a silly question, how do they know which car was speeding. If they get the picture, im in the "middle" lane, he was in the overtaking lane in the same pic..?

That's what the lines on the road are for. The camera takes 2 pictures at a fixed interval, and the from the distance travelled in that time - measured from the lines - your speed can be calculated.

• Advertisement

testicle wrote:
    That's what the lines on the road are for. The camera takes 2 pictures at a fixed interval, and the from the distance travelled in that time - measured from the lines - your speed can be calculated.

that's not what he was asking (it's also not how it works but thats neither here nor there)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ok cool, thanks. If i get a fine in the post ill goto court. cause I know I wasnt breaking the speed limit. Im just concerned that if they couldnt read the other fella's plate, that they'll go after me cause I was in the same pic

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The fine should go to the person in the overtaking lane by default. That way the camera can catch both people who speed and people who hog the overtaking lane ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,769 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

copacetic wrote:
    that's not what he was asking (it's also not how it works but thats neither here nor there)
    how does it work, and what is the point of the lines?

Tauren wrote:
    how does it work, and what is the point of the lines?

it varies, but either sensors on road or radar from camera to set off the flash and take a picture based on your speed. (as obviously they don't take 2 pictures of every car to check the speed!) I couldn't say for sure how these ones work but likely they are radar. Which lane they point at I don't know or whether there is 2 cameras one for each lane.

The lines are there to record two pictures as he said, and also catch your number plate. The two pictures are used if you try to dispute that you were speeding. So they can be used to work out your speed, it's just not how the camera does it.

Of course it's not how the camera does it you twit. Cameras are not intelligent. The camera also doesn't have automatic number plate recognition, or an automatic postal system built in.

I think you can see where this is going.

If there is two cars in the picture, it can be worked out by the lines which one was speeding, just not by the camera whose sole mission is to take photographs of speeding cars.

testicle wrote:
    Of course it's not how the camera does it you twit. Cameras are not intelligent. The camera also doesn't have automatic number plate recognition, or an automatic postal system built in.

I think you can see where this is going.

If there is two cars in the picture, it can be worked out by the lines which one was speeding, just not by the camera whose sole mission is to take photographs of speeding cars.

no need for the personal abuse, you implied it was how the camera did it very clearly in your post.

I see from your above posts I shouldn't have bothered replying as should have known you would say the exact opposite of what you originally did and let on you were right all along.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

be nice testicle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The Tallaght one was working overtime mid morning today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

It was working at 5:45am as well. I passed it at between 65 and 70 K. FLASH!!! FLASH!!!

F*cking great! Not much margin for error with that yoke. And please, don't give me the "if you're speedo says 65 you're probably doing 70" sh!te. I need it like a hole in the head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

DubTony wrote:
    It was working at 5:45am as well. I passed it at between 65 and 70 K. FLASH!!! FLASH!!!

F*cking great! Not much margin for error with that yoke. And please, don't give me the "if you're speedo says 65 you're probably foing 70" sh!te. I need it like a hole in the head.
    Other way round 65 => probably 60

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Was on the M50 southbound am and northbound pm at commute time and there was no real problem.

Did the same trip again at 7.30pm and was nearly stung on the toll bridge camera. My natural inclination after getting through the toller is to make hay if there is no traffic but I remembered just in time. On the way back home I only just copped on to the tallaght camera before I reached it. Approaching the toll bridge again it looked like Heather Mills was swinging her wooden leg about and being pap'd left right and center there was so much flash photography going on. It was ridiculous - more than 10 cars were snapped. There will be a bit of a learning curve before people get used to these I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The real question is there any film in them yet?

If there is I bet they have to change it daily. It wouldn't be long taking the 800 photos on each roll of film.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

came on the m50 this morning at tallaght northbound(only back after 2 weeks away and totally oblivious to the there even being a camera) was doing 70-80kph .... flash! ahhh ****e!! i heard rumours that the cameras aren't fully operational until the end of the week...

looks like i got stung... it will take a while for people to realise because for so long the majority of people have been exceeding the temp 60kph speed limit.

copacetic wrote:
    no need for the personal abuse, you implied it was how the camera did it very clearly in your post.

I see from your above posts I shouldn't have bothered replying as should have known you would say the exact opposite of what you originally did and let on you were right all along.
    while the personal abuse was out of order, how you have described it is what i understood testicle to be saying. I didn't think he thought the camera did the calculations regarding the lines itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Do these things still use old fashioned film or are the pictures digital?
    If its old fashioned film, judging by the posts of how busy the things are, surely that will all be used up in the first hour or so of operation!!??

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Tauren wrote:
    while the personal abuse was out of order, how you have described it is what i understood testicle to be saying. I didn't think he thought the camera did the calculations regarding the lines itself.

possibly I was unfair, may have been biased with a low opinion of him based on his earlier posts and also don't think he was answering the question correctly.

I believe that the camera is tasked for one lane only, possibly there is one for each lane. I certainly don't think it takes a picture of both lanes and then they work out which car was speeding by hand afterward which is what he is saying..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

So do we know which lane yet? :D

copacetic wrote:
    possibly I was unfair, may have been biased with a low opinion of him based on his earlier posts and also don't think he was answering the question correctly.

I believe that the camera is tasked for one lane only, possibly there is one for each lane. I certainly don't think it takes a picture of both lanes and then they work out which car was speeding by hand afterward which is what he is saying..
    would there not need to be two cameras for that though?

There are lines on both the driving lane and the overtaking lane. So, there are only 4 ways it could work.

1. There are two cameras in the box, one for each lane, taking pictures independently based on which lane the speeding is occuring.

2. One camera the rapidly repositions its point of focus depending on which lane the speeding is occuring.

3. One camera focused on one lane, meaning speeding in the other lane is irrelevant. The lines in the lane not being focused on are then just a bluff.

4. One camera focused on both lanes, taking a picture of the cars in both lanes.

Personally, i think the 4th is most likely, and in that case there needs to be someone or something doing the investigative work to see which car has been snapped for speeding, and which car was just unlucky enough to be in the pic even though they were not speeding. While I do not think a computer system to do this automatically is unreasonable or technically impossible, i would question whether the government have invested in it for the handful of operational speed cameras they have in the country.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    would there not need to be two cameras for that though?

There are lines on both the driving lane and the overtaking lane. So, there are only 4 ways it could work.

1. There are two cameras in the box, one for each lane, taking pictures independently based on which lane the speeding is occuring.

2. One camera the rapidly repositions its point of focus depending on which lane the speeding is occuring.

3. One camera focused on one lane, meaning speeding in the other lane is irrelevant. The lines in the lane not being focused on are then just a bluff.

4. One camera focused on both lanes, taking a picture of the cars in both lanes.

Personally, i think the 4th is most likely, and in that case there needs to be someone or something doing the investigative work to see which car has been snapped for speeding, and which car was just unlucky enough to be in the pic even though they were not speeding. While I do not think a computer system to do this automatically is unreasonable or technically impossible, i would question whether the government have invested in it for the handful of operational speed cameras they have in the country.

thats what I was saying! I think 1) is the most likley
    one for each lane
    (in the one box).

Of course I'm not pretending to be an expert, but on a 2 lane motorway I would have thought most shots would have at least
    2 cars in them making an awful lot of work for assesors if option 4 is how it works.

Advertisement