Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 Speed Camera??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Stark wrote:
    If the cameras catch **** like the ones who are flashing/beeping people who keep to the limit, then I can't wait for them to start working.

I totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

copacetic wrote:
    no need for the personal abuse, you implied it was how the camera did it very clearly in your post.

I see from your above posts I shouldn't have bothered replying as should have known you would say the exact opposite of what you originally did and let on you were right all along.

Read my original post. Could you point out where I said, or implied, that the camera did all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Longfield wrote:
    Do these things still use old fashioned film or are the pictures digital?
    If its old fashioned film, judging by the posts of how busy the things are, surely that will all be used up in the first hour or so of operation!!??
    They use a cartridge of standard 35mm film that can take 800 photos.
    4, The length of time it can enforce for is limited by an 800-shot bulk loader cartridge of 35mm film. This means the system can record an absolute maximum of 400 offences (2 photos per offence), not counting test shots taken during startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,769 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

copacetic wrote:
    thats what I was saying! I think 1) is the most likley (in the one box).

Of course I'm not pretending to be an expert, but on a 2 lane motorway I would have thought most shots would have at least
    2 cars in them making an awful lot of work for assesors if option 4 is how it works.
    for the sake of completness, would there not need to be human analysis of each photo - as the computer/camera could get it wrong, or is a case where if your car is snapped, you were speeding - no arguments. If the pics are not digital, as Bond-007 says above, then a computer system to check it would be hard to implement, and need a good deal of human involvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Can we keep the tome civil here lads, please, in general? Dreadful pain in the ar5e reading bickering. Anyway, here ye go:

http://www.radardetectors.co.uk/gatso_speed_camera.htm

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    for the sake of completness, would there not need to be human analysis of each photo - as the computer/camera could get it wrong, or is a case where if your car is snapped, you were speeding - no arguments. If the pics are not digital, as Bond-007 says above, then a computer system to check it would be hard to implement, and need a good deal of human involvement.
    If there is a challenge they have to manually examine both photos and count the marks in the picture. Time consuming but would not have to done often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Does it not show how the NRA are a bunch of cheap bas*ards that in order to increase road safety at one point they take the cameras ( obviously reducing road safety :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) from another rather than buying a new one ?

Maybe this is why we have roundabouts instead of proper spaggetti junctions - youve got to sabe a penny or two ! - dont matter about safety then !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

copacetic wrote:
    wsa she sitting in the overtaking lane? I've never seen anyon flashing or beeping at anyone doing the limit in the roadworks in the inside lane..

Just to clarify - no my girlfriend wasn't in the overtaking lane, she HATES it when people go way too slow in the overtaking lane. It was quite early in the morning so perhaps drivers were rushing to escape peak time rush hour but these days there's no such thing as "peak time rush hour" so I don't know what was up with them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,769 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

stephen p wrote:
    Just to clarify - no my girlfriend wasn't in the overtaking lane, she HATES it when people go way too slow in the overtaking lane. It was quite early in the morning so perhaps drivers were rushing to escape peak time rush hour but these days there's no such thing as "peak time rush hour" so I don't know what was up with them :confused:
    have to say i have never experienced this either, and i travel that bit of road at about 7am and 3.45pm, so i would be getting there before the rush starts. I have noticed everyone sticking to the limit in the morning, and few people sticking to it in the evening, though in the evening i am heading south which doesn't have a camera

They moved the cameras because evryone knew about them and I would wager the number of people they flashed at the end of their tenure was negligable.

Also, I have been flashed doing the limit in the correct lane, by several drivers, including a coach driver with a full load of people on board. opefully these cameras wills top that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i was on the road at around 9.30pm last night and people are getting wise to the cameras i see coming up to the first one at ballymount going north, there were a lot of brake slamming but as soon as everyone was out of the sight of the camera they all put their foot down, proof speed camera dont work and the amount of brake slamming going on is going to cause a serious accident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

copacetic wrote:
    thats what I was saying! I think 1) is the most likley (in the one box).

Of course I'm not pretending to be an expert, but on a 2 lane motorway I would have thought most shots would have at least
    2 cars in them making an awful lot of work for assesors if option 4 is how it works.

Doesn't the camera take two photos of each speading vehicle? That is why there are lines on the side of the road. Therefore it would be easy to tell which vehicle was speeding.

Also, if the film can capture 800 pictures, does that mean 400 offending vehicles?

all correct there.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

randomer wrote:
    Doesn't the camera take two photos of each speading vehicle? That is why there are lines on the side of the road. Therefore it would be easy to tell which vehicle was speeding.

Also, if the film can capture 800 pictures, does that mean 400 offending vehicles?

thats what I said above, I just don't believe they use the pics to seperate one lane from another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

irishbird wrote:
    i was on the road at around 9.30pm last night and people are getting wise to the cameras i see coming up to the first one at ballymount going north, there were a lot of brake slamming but as soon as everyone was out of the sight of the camera they all put their foot down, proof speed camera dont work and the amount of brake slamming going on is going to cause a serious accident

Thus a much stronger case for more mobile and hidden cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Thus a much stronger case for more mobile and hidden cameras.

Or for their removal to a more intelligent location. Signposting is essential to avoid liability on the part of the operator for crashes that occur because of delayed reaction to the camera. Also, there are several EU and international laws which may prohibit the "surveillance" of an individual without their express knowledge or consent, and also their right to prevent "self-incrimination". I don't really know how relevant these rules are to the ROI, but in the UK these rules mean that all mobile and fixed cameras must be clearly signposted.

Remember also, we want to change behaviour, not intimidate or turn public opinion against the devices, which could be incited by hiding them. Locations like the M50 are not suitable, as they account for very small accident proportions compared to the rural roads. This is where these devices must be utilised, fix the bad limits and use the speed cameras to enforce these, such as outside schools, parks, shopping centres, dangerous junctions, dangerous off-ramps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

I got flashed by the cam on the way home this evening....It was just after the toller in the over taking lane. I was doing about 70. Just saw this flash at the corner of my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

I got flashed by the cam on the way home this evening....It was just after the toller in the over taking lane. I was doing about 70. Just saw this flash at the corner of my eye.

Dito, but I was in the inside lane. Plz plz plz let there be no film in it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

The limit is 60 at the works, why were you doing 70? The amount of idiots on this thread amazes me. Sign says 60... do 60. Not 70! I hope you keep getting caught. I travel the M50 pretty much everyday and there are a serious amount of fools driving. I hope to Jesus these cameras reef a load of you fúckers and hopefully, eventually get ye off the road. Ye shouldn't be on it,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

KB predicts a retort post asking Dr. Loon if he has ever exceeded the speed limit.

<sits back and waits>

• Advertisement

<gets the popcorn ready> :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

kbannon wrote:
    KB predicts a retort post asking Dr. Loon if he has ever exceeded the speed limit.

<sits back and waits>

you know what, that's what pisses me off more here. The derision of others for exceeding the speed limit like they have never done it themselves. Its easy to hide behind your username here, claim to be a perfect driver and call other people 'idiots'. Not one person here (unless they started driving yesterday) can claim they have never gone over the speed limit. Not one.

Its the drivers who purposely do continuously, that's the issue.

Just passed the Northbound one - everybody at the limit. Objective achieved then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

quarryman wrote:
    you know what, that's what pisses me off more here. The derision of others for exceeding the speed limit like they have never done it themselves. Its easy to hide behind your username here, claim to be a perfect driver and call other people 'idiots'. Not one person here (unless they started driving yesterday) can claim they have never gone over the speed limit. Not one.

Fully agree with you. The 60 limit on the M50 has been there for a long time now, so there's no reason someone should be doing 70 at all at this stage. I'm glad the cameras are up. Of course I've gone over the limit, but rarely intentionally. Wherever the limit is posted I stick to it, which has made me look like some 90 year old aul one on numerous occasions on the M50, dawdling along at 60. For a while there people were flashing, beeping and generally tailgating while I stuck to the limit. Hopefully the cameras will sort that now.

It seems these threads are more about avoidance of the cameras as opposed to just sticking to the damn limit! Note, I think the 60 limit is justified at some points while at others it's silly, but it's there so I stick to it, and no I'm not a perfect driver but I'm safer than a large proportion of fools I meet on the road each day. My main gripe with Irish drivers is breaking distance, but that's another thread altogether.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Dr. Loon - I don't recall being flashed on the M50 going through the roadworks whilst at/under the limit.
    However, you do seem to berate people for speeding but you also admit to speeding intentionally (but rarely!).
    overdriver wrote:
    Just passed the Northbound one - everybody at the limit. Objective achieved then?
    Each time I pass the camera all cars have slowed to go past it. However, many of them speed up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

quarryman wrote:
    But we dont come on here moaning about being caught by a camera, fish in a barrel, revenue making scheme ****e.
    quarryman wrote:
    Is it?
    I thought it was the people that speed and have crashes. I didnt realise that you are only a danger if you continuously speed.
    Can you define "continuously" for me so I know how often I can speed without crashing?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Greebo, don't bring your nonsense on here from the N3 camera thread. The N3 camera is misplaced, that much is obvious.

kbannon wrote:
    Each time I pass the camera all cars have slowed to go past it. However, many of them speed up again.

Yeah, I expected they would, but on this occassion they didn't for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

The camera after the tollbridge on the southbound side was flashing like mad last night (about 7.30pm) (about 10 times at least...so that'd be 5 cars) and this morning it was the same. I'm positive it flashed me this morning at 6am and I was coming off to go to the N4, no other cars in front/behind me so it was me. There are no markings so they can't do me, can they??

Also I believe the cameras are black&white? (correct me if I'm wrong)
    But the lines are very hard to see as they are on a big yellow crosshatch box section (for the works traffic). I'm sure someone will try challenging over this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone got GPS locations for these cameras .

Advertisement