Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 Speed Camera??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

kbannon wrote:
    @ Dr. Loon -
    However, you do seem to berate people for speeding but you also admit to speeding intentionally (but rarely!).

Yes, I have intentionally gone above the limit in overtaking situations. Not lashing down a 60 zone at 100 constantly! All I'm saying is don't break the ****in limit! It's very simple. I didn't ask you for an argument on whether I've ever broken the limit or not. We all have. Some people always do.

I think you agree with me but you just want a little war of words. Do ye? The latest post on this thread asks the location of the cameras! Why? Who gives a **** if you're sticking to the limit. Again I say, people want to avoid rather than obey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I think they need the road markings to check your speed manually if you contest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

kbannon wrote:

1. (I haven't seen it as I won't use the toll bridge) Under the N4 flyover. Speed Limit = 60 km/h

Yeah its just before the flyover 400-500m from the toll booths. Got me yesterday afternoon. Light traffic, took off smartly from the booth and flash flash! Ah well its my first ticket in about 5 years but wish id read this thread first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Hi Folks,

we've added some photos of the two new M50 speed cameras on the following link:

http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/m50cameraphotos.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Today, while driving on the M50 going southbound, I noticed that there are also signs for a speed camera on the opposite side to the current northbound one.

Are they just doing this for effect or do you reckon they will place another one here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

DeBeere wrote:
    Today, while driving on the M50 going southbound, I noticed that there are also signs for a speed camera on the opposite side to the current northbound one.

Are they just doing this for effect or do you reckon they will place another one here?

All I've noticed here is one of those "Your current Speed is..." electronic signs, hasn't been active any time I've driven by it in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

By the sounds of it when these private cameras start appearing you won't be able to drive 100m on an N/M road without running into one.

OK bit of an exaggeration, but I can see it causing even more resentment amongst the public. Not because they're being caught as such, but because the Gardai will be telling the company where to put them.. and we already know their current strategy don't we? - "fish in a barrell" (as in fact verified by GTC in the other thread).

DeBeere wrote:

There are signs there alright but no speed camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Drove through Sunday evening and the amount of people getting flashed is laughable. I had one lad in a Focus make a big deal of sitting on my ass, dropping a gear and popping out from right behind me to cutting my nose off and off he goes into the distance, probably laughing to himself at the way I was driving like an aul wan. Then all of a sudden he spots the camera, slams on his brakes but too late, flash flash. 3 cars in the group around me got flashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There are signs there alright but no speed camera.
    Its working there though, most keeping to 60 until the end of the road works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

These cameras are having a weird effect on drivers. I came off the Tallaght slip the other night, going Northbound, doing 60km/h. Two guys came up behind me (who were already on the motorway), doing about 80-100km/h, and overtook me. Of course as they went through the lines, they both got flashed, and jammed on. One guy then blasted off again, while the other guy pulled into the left hand lane and slowed right down. So I go to overtake him, and as I do, he pulls into the overtaking lane to block me. Blatantly. I flash him, but he sits there for another half mile before moving back again, and I overtake him. I also got flashed four more times overtaking people before I pulled off at Lucan. I didn't go above 70km/h once (and when I did go above 60km/h it was to overtake people).

Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

seamus wrote:
    These cameras are having a weird effect on drivers. I came off the Tallaght slip the other night, going Northbound, doing 60km/h. Two guys came up behind me (who were already on the motorway), doing about 80-100km/h, and overtook me. Of course as they went through the lines, they both got flashed, and jammed on. One guy then blasted off again, while the other guy pulled into the left hand lane and slowed right down. So I go to overtake him, and as I do, he pulls into the overtaking lane to block me. Blatantly. I flash him, but he sits there for another half mile before moving back again, and I overtake him. I also got flashed four more times overtaking people before I pulled off at Lucan. I didn't go above 70km/h once (and when I did go above 60km/h it was to overtake people).

Odd.
    Probably flashing you to tell you to slow down so you didnt get done. (you were doing 70 in a 60 zone, the camera doesnt know or care that you are overtaking, and rightly so)
    Its very easy to spot who is speeding when everyone else is doing exactly 60 (as I noticed yesterday)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wotsasilencer

We had speed cameras there...

There was one that was cut off with an oxyacetylene kit, another was given a Soweto Necklace (tyre full of petrol set on fire) and another was blown up with explosives.

Not that I'm suggesting that this happen in Ireland.

One interesting thing in the UK though, the fixed GATSO's are being moved to more obvious positions so it's your own fault if you get busted.

The thing to watch though is the Average Speed over a measured distance cameras - they are absolute hell to keep up with and you spend more and more time looking for cameras than on the road - how safety concious is that.

If the Police in the UK sorted out sloppy driving on motorways then my average speed would stay the same but I would not have to speed to make journeys on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Hi All,

Are there white lines on the Lucan slip road? In other words, if I was exceeding the limit on the slip road, can I be caught?

The images posted at irishspeedtraps do not look conclusive.

I may have been caught there last Friday (stupid mistake I know)

There was 1 flash but not a second.........

Any ideas?

S

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

slumped wrote:
    Hi All,

Are there white lines on the Lucan slip road? In other words, if I was exceeding the limit on the slip road, can I be caught?

Any ideas?

S
    There are no lines on the slip road. This would cause me to conclude that you can't be done for speeding on the slip. Don't know why.

slumped wrote:
    Hi All,

Any ideas?

S

I've just been told that there are no markings on the slip road. The markings you can see in the photo (http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/images/new%20M50%20speed%20camera%20photos/TollBridge.jpg) are the remains of a yellow box. You can see a similar yellow box on the northbound lanes in the same photo. Looks like you got away with it!

Another point, I noticed that this camera is only falshing once for each car it catches. I thought it was supposed to take two photos. Can anyone shed any light on this?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote:
    There are no lines on the slip road. This would cause me to conclude that you can't be done for speeding on the slip. Don't know why.
    (Bearing in mind that I haven't seen this camera)
    It would be difficult as the gradient there could distort any speed reading when compared against the flat motorway surface. Also if a manual check is required then the absence of road markings would make this task pretty much impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jamesdublin12

Hey, does this camera snap u when u pass by (pointing southbound) or does it snap u coming through the booth at the toll.

I was over taking coming through the toll, the way u merge, and think might went over the speed limit slightly.....

but if it points the oppoisite direction (towards the n4 fly over) I should be ok......

We had speed cameras there...

There was one that was cut off with an oxyacetylene kit, another was given a Soweto Necklace (tyre full of petrol set on fire) and another was blown up with explosives.

Not that I'm suggesting that this happen in Ireland.

One interesting thing in the UK though, the fixed GATSO's are being moved to more obvious positions so it's your own fault if you get busted.

The thing to watch though is the Average Speed over a measured distance cameras - they are absolute hell to keep up with and you spend more and more time looking for cameras than on the road - how safety concious is that.

If the Police in the UK sorted out sloppy driving on motorways then my average speed would stay the same but I would not have to speed to make journeys on time.

I used to live in Northampton, "speed cam central" they were everywhere... as above several were "taken out" one with high expolsives the police offered £2000 reward for information to catch the perpritators, at around the same time a woman was murdered in her own home and the police offered £1000 reward. Sums up their attitude to life and fund raising from cameras!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

When Bertie says mobile speed cameras in the private side, does he mean poles sitting around the country where cameras will be swopped about, or cars with speed guns? He did say that cameras would be signposted for the first year or so (general election dontchaknow). I wonder if this applies to these "mobile" units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

... as above several were "taken out" one with high expolsives the police offered £2000 reward for information to catch the perpritators, at around the same time a woman was murdered in her own home and the police offered £1000 reward. Sums up their attitude to life and fund raising from cameras!!! :mad:

I don't mean to belittle the murder of someone but the police are quite right in offering more money to catch the people that destroyed the speed camera.

This has nothing to do with what they blew up but how they blew it up. People get murdered everyday and with the most mundane of weapons. The use of explosives is a whole different ball game.

MrP

Hey, does this camera snap u when u pass by (pointing southbound) or does it snap u coming through the booth at the toll.
    The camera targets vehicles heading southbound just before the sliproad for the N4.
    maoleary wrote:
    When Bertie says mobile speed cameras in the private side, does he mean poles sitting around the country where cameras will be swopped about, or cars with speed guns? He did say that cameras would be signposted for the first year or so (general election dontchaknow). I wonder if this applies to these "mobile" units.
    The privatisation of speed cameras will introduce something like 1000 new checkpoints using different technologies (fixed cameras and mobile camera vans, etc.)
    MrPudding wrote:
    I don't mean to belittle the murder of someone but the police are quite right in offering more money to catch the people that destroyed the speed camera.

This has nothing to do with what they blew up but how they blew it up. People get murdered everyday and with the most mundane of weapons. The use of explosives is a whole different ball game.

MrP
    Because explosives could kill? Why place more emphasis on the potential to kill over an actual killing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

kbannon wrote:

Because explosives could kill? Why place more emphasis on the potential to kill over an actual killing?

Murderers are 10 a penny. A person with access to and the ability to use explosives is a whole different ball game.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MrPudding wrote:
    Murderers are 10 a penny. A person with access to and the ability to use explosives is a whole different ball game.

MrP
    but someone who HAS killed is more dangerous then someone with the ability to kill. Will all have the ability to kill someone, afterall.

Hey guys,
    Never noticed the camera on the m50 but the cars in font of me were slowing down, never noticed my speed, cos never knew the camera was there.. but i recon i was only doing the 60kph, maybe slighly over... Is there any kinda le-way... i.e if i was doing 63kph etc would it be ok or would they do me???

P.S has anyone got tickets from this...... as i am afraid now that I have gotten one, but it is nearly 2 weeks since i was on the m50.... help...... I have just applied for a job and cant have any points on my license....

Any help is greatly appreciated....

thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Did it flash? If you were only doing 63kph (according to your speedo), then you're probably okay.

well i cant say if it did flash or if it didnt cos i didnt even know if it was there or not.
    I was driving by it on the saturday at easter.....

what is the speed limit that u have to go over for it to flas is it 70kph or 65kph etc etc....

So they let you do a few kilometres over it?... I dont even know what speed i was doing.. I just know I was going slow, cos people on front of me were crawling along.. didnt even know it was 60kph speen limit til i was a few metres under the n4 whre they have a speed sign....

so whats the case there then?

well i cant say if it did flash or if it didnt cos i didnt even know if it was there or not.
    I was driving by it on the saturday at easter.....

what is the speed limit that u have to go over for it to flas is it 70kph or 65kph etc etc....

So they let you do a few kilometres over it?... I dont even know what speed i was doing.. I just know I was going slow, cos people on front of me were crawling along.. didnt even know it was 60kph speen limit til i was a few metres under the n4 whre they have a speed sign....

so whats the case there then?

So has anyone got the points on their license yet from this speed camera, and if so, how long did they take to come out?

Also can u tell me when it came into operation (the camera heading southbound when u go through the toll)???

• Advertisement

The two cameras went live at the same time. If you go back through the thread you will find out the dates.

Advertisement