Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Funky! (dial up warning: high res pics)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It comes with a choice of three engines: the 1.3 16v Multijet 75 bhp turbodiesel and two petrol units, the 1.2 8v 69 bhp and the 1.4 16v 100 bhp, all matched with 5- or 6-speed mechanical gearboxes.

from the website

I'd go for the diesel, me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I thought there was gonna be a 2 cylinder engine used, and shared with the next Ford Ka?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

colm_mcm wrote:
    I thought there was gonna be a 2 cylinder engine used, and shared with the next Ford Ka?
    Yes, very economical it is. Also the Abarth version will be the 150bhp 500 :D That should be madness. Lots of pics here; I think it looks really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ronoc wrote:
    Trust me 60mpg + in a compact car is going to be very important soon.

The accord 2.2 diesel gives over 50 mpg, it's not that big a difference. Personally I'd gladly give up 8-10 mpg for the added space and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

FROM AUTO EXPRESS:

The last big-selling car to use a two-cylinder was the legendary Citroen 2CV. Set to go on sale next year, the new 500 will focus on efficiency - its 0.9-litre turbo will develop between 90bhp and 110bhp.

The hi-tech engine is said to be 20 per cent more economical than the average 1.2-litre city car, so dri*vers can expect to see more than 60mpg on the com*bined cycle. And with around 120Nm of torque, its performance should be good, too. The new Ford Ka, which uses the 500's platform, is also likely to share the two-cylinder unit.

While there have been attempts to bring two-cylinder motors into production - such as the French Aixam range - the 500 will be the only twin to be offered as a mainstream model, be*cause achieving an acceptable standard of refinement is a major challenge. More powerful versions of the 500 will also be offered, using Fiat's freshly developed 1.4-litre turbo*charged petrol motor, which can deliver up to 150bhp. Mean*while, the Italian brand's engine experts have also built a new high-performance 1.8 turbodiesel which will be offered in the new Bravo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Fiat 500 will donate most of it's running gear with then new Ford Ka. It will be interesting to know will the Fiat Multijet diesel find it's way into the new Ka or will Ford stick with the PSA HDi unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stekelly wrote:
    The accord 2.2 diesel gives over 50 mpg, it's not that big a difference. Personally I'd gladly give up 8-10 mpg for the added space and comfort.

I think simply physics would dictate that a car like the 500 with a small capacity diesel would be FAR more economical than an accord, which probably will struggle to do 50mpg anyway.

VW got 80mpg from a TDI lupo. Seeing as Fiat are the pioneers of modern diesel engines, they should be able to beat that.

Lovely looking car too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

As an owner of a 1968 fiat 500 I think this little baby looks cool. And I think some one in the house will be getting a new car in July some thing along the lines of a new fiat 500 1.3 diesel ...

Only reason I won’t get it my self is the chances of giving up my Mini is next to nill.

As for the small diesel engines.
    my mini is the 1.4 diesel and I don’t drive to save the nation where as my old man has a 1.9 ford Mondao which he gets around 40 - 45mpg which is roughly the same im getting in the mini (I know its capable of 55mpg) but my road tax is so much lower than his so unless you want to be pulling caravans and hulling family around I think the small diesel would be a better option.

as for the hairdressers part. if the handling and the drive is half as good as the mini's I don’t give a toss what any one thinks of me when thy see me in the street

Advertisement