Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleed screw broken on radiator - Help!

Options
  • 22-03-2007 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi there, i got one rad hot at bottom cold on top all the signs of being full of air & bleeding required but the bleed screw has snapped off so key has nothing to grip on to.
    Can anyone advise what can I do without having to call the experts in or replace the rad :confused:
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

get a stainless steel self tapping screw. drill a little hole in the top of the rad and put the screw in. then turn on heat and loosen the screw and let the air out. does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

thanks alot doesnt sound too bad!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

ambman wrote:
    get a stainless steel self tapping screw. drill a little hole in the top of the rad and put the screw in. then turn on heat and loosen the screw and let the air out. does the trick

On the money, worked for me previously anyway :) be sure you don't drill the hole too big

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, make sure you close both valves either side of the rad, if you don't the water will gush out and you'll be drowned before you've a chance to get the self tapper back in...plus the floor'll be flooded.

When hole is drilled and screw in loosely, open a valve to let the water in, which in turn will force the air out the hole/gap between screw and rad. then when all the air is out, tighten the screw and you'll be sorted...open both valves and that's it then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

DSN wrote:
    Hi there, i got one rad hot at bottom cold on top all the signs of being full of air & bleeding required but the bleed screw has snapped off so key has nothing to grip on to.
    Can anyone advise what can I do without having to call the experts in or replace the rad :confused:
    Cheers.
    In most rads, if the vent is at the back, you may have to resort to drilling a hole - BUT, if the vent is at the end of the rad, the whole fitting can be replaced - no need to drill a hole which may leak later.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Agree with JameM on the replacement and in my experience the self tapping screw solution is a short term solution only.

If however you can get to the broken screw i.e. if the bleednut is on the outside of the rad you can still get it out. Search for previous threads on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Agree with JamesM there, better to get the whole unit out than bodge it with selftapping screw.

Dublin Providors (DPL) in Kilmainham, Smallman's off Bachelor's Walk or Chadwicks in Thomas Street opp John's Lane church are three places that I know should help you get the replacement part you want.forgot to check your location....

Advertisement