Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UDA funding

Options
  • 22-03-2007 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

See here

After widespread consultation with UDA members the organisation is getting £1million funding from the British Government to help them move away from criminality. Further funding will be dependant on visible signs of a reduction in criminal activity and drug-dealing.

Now, I'm not sure I agree with this (understatement) at all. I can't see why a group such as the UDA can be legitimsed by the British Government to such an extent that they receive funding to halt activities. I also can't help wonder what the reaction would be if the IRA received funding to help them 'move away from violence' a few years ago.

It's going to be interesting to read the reaction to this in the media!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I can hear them saying it now "Coz they don't have the brains to pull off a bank robbery"

If the funding is used for what it is intended for I have no problem with it, however I'm not sure if it will have much impact although the UDA have to realise that terrorist groups are now a thing of the past in the North and the future is through politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I think it would go down alot better if the UDA first established a political party before receiving the money. It could be argued that Sinn Féin were never in receipt of such a grant but these are different times of progress. Johnny 'Mad Dog' Adair, although no longer leader, is going to be on The Late Late Show this weekend so let's see what he has to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

dusf wrote:
    I think it would go down alot better if the UDA first established a political party before receiving the money. It could be argued that Sinn Féin were never in receipt of such a grant but these are different times of progress. Johnny 'Mad Dog' Adair, although no longer leader, is going to be on The Late Late Show this weekend so let's see what he has to say...

eh don't they have links with the DUP or UUP and wasn't that what the 'research groups was for

eh don't they have links with the DUP or UUP

Perhaps they do, officially? Englighten us...

It was stated the money is being given to the UDA though not the DUP or UUP, that being my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If you where about to vote labour think again.

On Let's Talk (BBC NI) the labour leader was the only panelist to suggest that the British government's idea to pay the UDA off with £1,000,000 would be a good thing.

Not even the Unionist on the panel where in agreement with such a hand out.

Strange! That pat rabbitte should thing this is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I have serious reservations with regards handing 1million to a bunch of criminal thugs. It feels too much like a reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have serious reservations with regards handing 1million to a bunch of criminal thugs. It feels too much like a reward.

Ehhh I think you mean Ransom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

dusf wrote:
    Johnny 'Mad Dog' Adair, although no longer leader, is going to be on The Late Late Show this weekend so let's see what he has to say...

I heard that the RTE Top brass vetoed his appearance. The man is nothing but a deluded, neo fascist, cold blooded murderer and petty drug dealer with no self awareness and remorse for his actions, and is only looking to plug his autobiography. I would be very angry if my licence fee was going to giving someone like him a platform. Far better to get someone else from the unionist side.

Regarding the money to encourage UDA members to move into "normal" society, I'd take a practical view of it. If it works well and good, sometimes the carrot works just as well as the stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Johnny Adair was on the Seán Moncrieff show on Newstalk (radio) today. Very interesting interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The UDA is represented by the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Political_Research_Group

The DUP are opposed to the granting of this money as are all the other Northern Parties. II have not heard anything from the UUP but they not doubt will follow the same route

However Pat Rabbite of Labour declared last night it was quite a good Idea??

With the 100's of Charitys across NI that need a few quid the UDA never stuck me as one of them.

Imagine Johnny Adair or the Shoukris brothers being re-trained? as what ? who would hire them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Isn't the UDA an illegal organisation (although I seem to recall the British government was very reluctant to make it one and it was legal until at least the 1980s) ?

How on earth can taxpayers money be given to an illegal organisation?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

ninja900 wrote:

On further reading of the link posted the money isn't actually being directly given to them but it is to help them change their organisation to a political /social party and turn their back on all forms of criminality.

In answer to how; these are different times, concessions must be made on all sides. Over the most recent period in the north for once I'm actually happy about what's going on up there because everyone seems to be making progress, even dear old Dr. Paisley.

I found the playing of GSTQ in Croke Park very emotional and it's just another reason why I'm proud to be Irish. The future is not yet written.

:D

DaveMcG wrote:
    Johnny Adair was on the Seán Moncrieff show on Newstalk (radio) today. Very interesting interview.

Link? Something I'd love to hear; also as I've already said he will be appearing at some point on The Late Late Show this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I recorded it on my mp3 player, I'll upload it later and post the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

DaveMcG wrote:
    I recorded it on my mp3 player, I'll upload it later and post the link.
    I'd also like to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

dusf wrote:
    On further reading of the link posted the money isn't actually being directly given to them but it is to help them change their organisation to a political /social party and turn their back on all forms of criminality.
    It's effectively the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Imagine if Sinn Fein had been given £1m courtesy of HMG to "help change the IRA into a peaceful organisation." The Unionists and SDLP would have had a fit, and rightly so. It's effectively giving the UDA protection money. "Pay up or else we return to violence."
    In answer to how; these are different times, concessions must be made on all sides.
    There have been too many concessions to terrorists already.
    Early releases, destruction of evidence by allowing them to carry out decommisioning themselves. I can't believe this bribe/protection money/ransom is being paid. Where will this end? What if the UDA decide next year that £1m isn't enough?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i wouldn't have such a problem with this if the UDA had committed to some sort of decommisioning process, or even end to criminality, but they've shown no intention of doing so from what i can see.

just re: Adair on RTE, i don't think they actually pay guest like this.
    it's not like the case of taxpayer's money being used by Martin McAleese to take Jackie McDonald out on golf trips to the K Club.
    if he was doing the same with Tom Murphy there'd be calls for his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

ninja900 wrote:
    Isn't the UDA an illegal organisation (although I seem to recall the British government was very reluctant to make it one and it was legal until at least the 1980s) ?

1992 it was made illegal.

the british governemt must be a bit miffed the PSNI don't have more UDA members on their books as opposed to the UVF, at least then they could funnel it through those avenues and cause less of a fuss, like they did with the UVF.

Advertisement